Do over, don't judge

Sunday21

I have been in the church for awhile now and I am starting to notice some eerie patterns. If I judge someone, that affliction lands on me. If I fail to learn a lesson that lesson comes around again, and again. If I mutter to myself about a church program or duty, that duty becomes a calling or primary responsibility for me ( which is easier for my location because we collect callings like other people collect baseball cards).

Edited by Sunday21
Punctuation

Guest LiterateParakeet

Me Too!  I'm so glad you mentioned this because I wondered if it was just me. Sometimes when people say judgmental things, "I think...'oh don't say that!  You're going to live to regret it.  I know from experience!'"  I think it's always been that way, but it increased exponentially when I asked the Lord to help me be more humble.  Oy vey, what a wine press I have been in since then.  

I used to think that if moms would just "try hard enough" they could stay home with their children and not work...well, long story short, I'm a working mom by necessity, not choice.  (I drive a $2,000 vehicle, ya'll so don't start...)

I used to think if someone was in therapy "long-term" then it just wasn't working.  Boy, do I regret saying that . . . you can guess why.

I used to think plenty of things that have come back to bite me.  It hasn't been easy, but I am a better person for these lessons.  No regrets!   This is why my mantra now is to hold myself to a high standard, and just love everyone else.  

Edited by LiterateParakeet

Guest LiterateParakeet
12 minutes ago, pam said:

I remember my mom saying once that one calling she would NEVER want in the Church is that of Gospel Doctrine teacher.  About a month or so later, she got called to teach the Gospel Doctrine class.

I love all the callings.  I love all the callings.  I love all the callings . . .  

Sunday21...oh yeah...patience.  Phew...for sure!

Edited by LiterateParakeet

1 hour ago, LiterateParakeet said:

[W]hen I asked the Lord to help me be more humble[, ...]

Each of us just finishing that sentence could fill a whole thread with the "dangers" of this prayer. :)  Sometimes the response is immediate.  The last time I prayed for humility, I cracked my head open, stayed in the hospital for a week, on the couch for another, and had to wait half of another before I could wash my hair!  Great way to learn humility.  I recommend trying other ways first, though.

While I think it's more likely that our current experience sheds light on our past foolishness, it's also true that current foolishness reveals lessons we need to learn, and that when we're ready, God lets (and sometimes helps) us learn those lessons.

Meanwhile, Gospel Doctrine Teacher is my favorite calling - love it!  Er, I mean, hate it!  Absolutely can't stand it!  Hope I never have to do that again! ;)

Guest LiterateParakeet
21 minutes ago, zil said:

Meanwhile, Gospel Doctrine Teacher is my favorite calling - love it!  Er, I mean, hate it!  Absolutely can't stand it!  Hope I never have to do that again! ;)

Me too!  I hate teaching Gospel Doctrine, and Relief Society...or Young Womens....I want to stay in Primary forever. :P  

Guest MormonGator
3 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

I have been in the church for awhile now and I am starting to notice some eerie patterns. If I judge someone, that affliction lands on me. If I fail to learn a lesson that lesson comes around again, and again. 

Same here. Joining the church has been like having compassion injected into my veins. 

Guest LiterateParakeet
11 minutes ago, Eowyn said:

I think it's so dumb to have a perfectly fit body and perfect health and a huge trust fund. Like, people who have those things are completely dumb. I'd never do that. 

You literally made me LOL. :)

Guest MormonGator
2 hours ago, Eowyn said:

have a perfectly fit body and perfect health and a huge trust fund. 

She's talking about me again folks. ::throws hair back and exhales :: 

Believe me, it's tough to be rich, beautiful and healthy. 

:P

Edited by MormonGator

13 hours ago, pam said:

I remember my mom saying once that one calling she would NEVER want in the Church is that of Gospel Doctrine teacher.  About a month or so later, she got called to teach the Gospel Doctrine class.

For a while, the position of Gospel Principles teacher in my parents' old ward kept going to someone who themselves needed to learn something by being in that position. 

For example, one teacher had trouble communicating in English (it's not her native language) and so by being the teacher she wound up getting quite a bit of experience expressing herself in English. 

1 hour ago, Backroads said:

My college roommate, back in college, confessed that while she had a testimony of the gospel she did not have one of Relief Society and found it a bunch of gossipy girls. Guess who was the next RS president?

I hated single adults. Guess who was the next single adults stake rep! You should have seen my face when they called me!

Guest MormonGator
19 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

I hated single adults. Guess who was the next single adults stake rep! You should have seen my face when they called me!

I've never had a calling like that-do they tell you first or do they just announce your name in church? 

Edited by MormonGator

16 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

I've never had a calling like that-do they tell you first or do they just announce your name in church? 

Ah, the old days. Go to Church and find out you're going on a mission for three years.

Guest MormonGator
7 minutes ago, Vort said:

Ah, the old days. Go to Church and find out you're going on a mission for three years.

Isn't that how you found out you'd be the next prophet? 

;)

I'm with Eowyn ... I think having a perfect body and living forever with our loved ones and friends are overrated.

(May the Lord smite me and all of you with perfect health, give us everything and even more than we presently know we want, and may we never recover...)

;)