The lies they tell you when you're a kid...

Jamie123

When I was a kid at school, and the teacher caught me doing something I shouldn't be doing (like swinging on the cross-bar in soccer, writing rude words on the blackboard or kicking hymn books around the school hall) he or she would say: "You do that just once more and you'll get an automatic detention!"

An automatic detention? Really? How cool it would have been to had one of those! Imagine all the computers and robots in a brilliant white space-age "automatic detention" room buried somewhere in the bowels of the school. Just think of the flashing lights, the clicking and whirring of the computer printouts...it would have been just like "Buck Rogers in the 25th Century"!

With this prospect in mind I'd eagerly do whatever-it-was again, but did I ever get an automatic detention?

No.

I'd just get an ordinary boring one, sitting in the dusty old French classroom, staring at the blackboard and listening to the clock tick.

Edited by Jamie123

How about "If you do well in school, then you'll have all your dreams come true"?

"The government is here to protect and serve you."

Edited by Guest

Guest MormonGator
14 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

TPFD-homeschoolingrocks.gif

THIS. 

The big lies I was told were: High school is the best time of your life, and your childhood friends will be your friends forever. Thankfully both were very wrong. 

High school was the worst. My old BFF from those days is really bugging me to go to our 20th this summer. Why would i want to go and revisit one of the unhappiest times in my life, with people that made me miserable? We're going to the coast instead.

Guest MormonGator
22 minutes ago, Eowyn said:

High school was the worst. My old BFF from those days is really bugging me to go to our 20th this summer. Why would i want to go and revisit one of the unhappiest times in my life, with people that made me miserable? We're going to the coast instead.

Yup, same here Eowyn. It was the worst time of my life, for sure. My friendships as an adult are far more enriching, deep and flat out more enjoyable than my childhood ones ever were. 

And if I had to choose between taking a shotgun blast to the stomach or going to a HS reunion-well, my shotgun is in the closet. 

High School was a blast!  It was the bestest best time of my life and all my friends are still my friends and a lot of the ones that weren't are now my friends... except that we are all scattered all over the planet.  Most of us are meeting in August, though, and I am looking forward to it!  So yeah, one of my best friends sob-storied me out of 200 bucks a couple years ago, but that was on me.  I still love the dude even as we work to get him out to rehab.

So, the lies... Wearing a uniform will prevent gangs.  Hah hah.  Ever heard of bandannas?

Another lie adults tell children is this: "All bullies are cowards: if you hit them back they burst into tears and run away."

You go along with this in a make-believe kind of way (the way you do in Sunday School when you're shown Ten Commandments-inspired pictures of Moses parting the Red Sea). It's certainly a nice idea: like being able to fly like Superman or shrink and grow like Alice.

You certainly do not believe it the next time you are threatened by a bully. You might of course force down your common sense in favour of suspension-of-disbelief, but once you do hit the bully, you pretty soon discover you've been lied to.

Having said that though, discretionless valour does have its share of glory. But as Marshal Bosquet observed, "C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre!"

Edited by Jamie123

Guest MormonGator
3 hours ago, Jamie123 said:

Another lie adults tell children is this: "All bullies are cowards: if you hit them back they burst into tears and run away."

The truth is: "If you hit a bully back, you'll be the one in trouble". One charmer in HS used to make fun of a girl who struggled with her weight all the time. I stood up to him, told him to "please refrain from his behavior" (cursing isn't allowed on LDS. net, remember) and we started fighting. I was the one who got in trouble. Because he played sports, he got off totally free. High school was a nightmare for so many of us. 

I hated that place. If I was more of a hero, I'd spend my time breaking in there and leading children to safety.  

Edited by MormonGator

3 hours ago, Jamie123 said:

It must be a generational thing.  I was never told that.  I just hit back because I didn't like anyone getting away with things.  I was also quick enough that I could make up for what I lacked in brawn.

If I weren't so small, I'm afraid I'd be the one whom everyone called a bully.  If you think I can get hot under the collar today, you should have seen me as a kid.  People grow and change.  Very slowly, but they do.

Guest MormonGator
41 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

And the difference would be?

She's a fictional character from one of the greatest novels/movies of all time and even though my legend grows daily-I exist in reality. Though LadyGator steals a line from Seinfeld, "Gator, the last thing you are qualified to give a tour in is reality!" 

Edited by MormonGator

5 hours ago, anatess2 said:

So yeah, one of my best friends sob-storied me out of 200 bucks a couple years ago, but that was on me.

Details?  Or do you prefer to just pretend I'm telling you the same story and make a generous contribution to my functional car fund? :D

1 hour ago, MormonGator said:

She's a fictional character from one of the greatest novels/movies of all time and even though my legend grows daily-I exist in reality. Though LadyGator steals a line from Seinfeld, "Gator, the last thing you are qualified to give a tour in is reality!" 

Yeah, I know who she is.  I'm still wondering what the difference is -- emphasis on the term "in vain".

Edited by Guest