I know I saw a beard around here somewhere...

Aish HaTorah

On 4/17/2016 at 11:07 AM, MormonGator said:

Are police officers required to be clean shaven? Just curious. I don't think I've ever seen a beard on a police officer, come to think of it. 

Police are 'para military' and usually they have a no facial hair policy.

However San Francisco PD used to require a mustache.  I don't know if they still do that.  But you know what's going on up there anyway.

dc

13 hours ago, dahlia said:

didn't someone upthread say you couldn't have a position of authority with a beard?

The point is whether the man is willing to be obedient. Some leaders want those they call to be clean-shaven. Obviously, this is not a moral issue per se. But obedience is always a moral issue.

I consider it a part of the law of consecration. If my bishop wants me to shave, I'll shave. If my bishop wants me to do anything that is not immoral, in general I will try to do it, because he is the Lord's representative and I am trying to live a consecrated life.

That is my view, at least.

13 hours ago, dahlia said:

Here's a question - years ago, the military started letting black guys grow beards because of the skin issues they can have with ingrown hairs,etc. Would the Church not let a black guy with a beard be a temple worker?

It's up to the temple president. I suspect most temple presidents would not implement a large-scale, racially based policy on beards, but they might well grant exceptions to a general policy based on personal circumstances.

7 hours ago, dahlia said:

As I think I've said before, we have a few guys in my ward who have a beard - actually, one of the bishop's counselor's has a beard (didn't someone upthread say you couldn't have a position of authority with a beard?) 

I'm in a ward with mostly college profs, grad students, and med/dental students - a population that often gravitates toward beards. Some guys have beards all the time, some tend to let them come and go - especially around exam time. 

Here's a question - years ago, the military started letting black guys grow beards because of the skin issues they can have with ingrown hairs,etc. Would the Church not let a black guy with a beard be a temple worker?

I can't think of any reason why being clean shaven must be followed to the point of insanity (on the other hand i don't have any experience in being in an authoritative position related to that). As long as actions and interactions are done in a humble and reverent manner i'm sure there is a solution that can be found that is legit if someone can't do something 100%. One of the nice things i've noticed about God's kingdom is if some jot or tittle can't be followed because of the circumstances God shows and gives a means to be able to accomplish their goal.

I'm a bishop.  I had a beard until a couple of weeks ago.  Nothing was said about it to me by my stake president, nor did I ask his permission prior to growing it.  I shaved it as golf season has arrived in earnest and I don't want a two-toned face.  I may grow it again next winter, we'll see.  Another of the bishops in our stake had a beard when he was called (while serving on the high council); he was not asked to shave.  

In our stake at least, a beard seems to be a non-issue for bishops.

Guest MormonGator
19 minutes ago, pam said:

Just how old do you think I am. :P

You are young and beautiful Pam. 

(By the way, that fifty bucks I owe you will be a little late) 

7 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

You are young and beautiful Pam. 

(By the way, that fifty bucks I owe you will be a little late) 

Wait...shouldn't it be the other way around?  Shouldn't I be paying you $50 for the compliment.  Oh never mind...I like the idea that you want to pay me instead. :)