Dress To Impress

1) When we say the phrase "Dress to Impress" whom do we seek to impress?  Why?

2) In today's professional world, are we trying to impress our supervisors and clients (as well as co-workers and subordinates)?  Do we do so with more than the way we dress?  

3) Is it simply good work ethic to not only dress professionally, but to actively do things that may impress a supervisor or client?  In other words, do you believe it is part of any job description that we must seek to impress others through our work and to continually do so?

Edited by Guest

In the context I of the professional world I would say yes to your #2 statement.  Certainly we impress with more than just the way we dress, but dress (depending upon the nature of the environment) can go a long way.  I think examples are unnecessary because they are obvious.  I also agree that it is good work ethic take actions to impress a supervisor and a client. I think of it in terms of exceeding expectations (or even magnifying one's calling if you will).  In terms of a job description I think of it as my personal internal job description to seek to impress and to continually seek ways to add value to what I offer.  But I'm wondering if there is anything specific going on in terms of your own profession or in terms of something you've observed.

18 minutes ago, UT.starscoper said:

I'm wondering if there is anything specific going on in terms of your own profession or in terms of something you've observed.

One of my subordinates objected to my asking him to "impress me".

"I don't feel that I need to impress you.  That's not what my job is about.  I'm just supposed to do what I do and have good work ethic."

I always thought that striving to impress your boss was part of the meaning of good work ethic.  As you say, Magnify your calling.  I was just wondering if this is just the new world we now live in that has lost that virtue or if I was being too demanding.

As a natural-born non-salesman, I am beginning to see that every job is a sales job, and your primary product is yourself. Not even necessarily your skills and abilities, but yourself, how people perceive you. I have resisted this idea for my entire life, believing it to be innately cynical. And perhaps it is. But I now think it might be true.

I maintain that God does not look at our self-sales job, but beneath it. However, I wonder if much of the cynicism I perceive might not simply be my own naivete about the true roots of human relationships. I feel sure there will be politics in heaven, as it were, since "politics" is simply the name we attach to the relationships we experience in human communities. I feel equally sure that the political environment there will be vastly different from the fetid sea of corruption we experience here.

Given the above, I think it becomes a political nicety -- a kindness to others, if you will -- that we present ourselves well. This is true both in dress and in speech. Seeking to be plain and clear and to avoid unnecessary ornamentation in our speech and actions might be virtuous things, but so is making an object of beauty, even if that "object" is our own self-presentation.

Some have this gift naturally. I do not. But I am beginning to think it's important. I notice that my stake president and our General Authorities and General Auxiliary leaders take great care in how they present themselves. I need to take a page from their book. Authenticity is important, but it need not be incompatible with grace.

Edited by Vort

With experience in the professional world I came to perceive that part of my job was to make my supervisor look good.  I found that acting in that way was beneficial to me, as well. I've often felt the comparison to a quality athletic team is apt because many times I've been a member of a team, so to speak, in the professional world; and I learned that to be a team-player (which is a good thing) includes seeking ways to make my teams co-members look good, too.  Maybe your subordinate is focusing too hard on the word "impress".  I can't know of course, and I personally wouldn't have a problem with using that word.  

20 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

I was just wondering if this is just the new world we now live in that has lost that virtue or if I was being too demanding.

Well, I'll add that I have heard many supervisors and managers grumble about how the current crop of young employees seems to have an attitude that requires them to be entertained at work with parties, "cutesy" activities, and motivational stuff.  I think self-motivation is more important, but I've observed that this "attitude" on the part of younger employees may have been created by management of many various corporations as opposed to simply brought with them from college.  But that has always been the nature, I think, of the professional world.  That world is just as subject to fads, and snake-oil salesmen as has any other.  And I think every generation of workers complains about the younger generation of workers, again like so many other aspects of life.

Guest MormonGator
1 hour ago, Vort said:

As a natural-born non-salesman, I am beginning to see that every job is a sales job, and your primary product is yourself. Not even necessarily your skills and abilities, but yourself, how people perceive you. I have resisted this idea for my entire life, believing it to be innately cynical. And perhaps it is. But I now think it might be true.

I maintain that God does not look at our self-sales job, but beneath it. However, I wonder if much of the cynicism I perceive might not simply be my own naivete about the true roots of human relationships. I feel sure there will be politics in heaven, as it were, since "politics" is simply the name we attach to the relationships we experience in human communities. I feel equally sure that the political environment there will be vastly different from the fetid sea of corruption we experience here.

Given the above, I think it becomes a political nicety -- a kindness to others, if you will -- that we present ourselves well. This is true both in dress and in speech. Seeking to be plain and clear and to avoid unnecessary ornamentation in our speech and actions might be virtuous things, but so is making an object of beauty, even if that "object" is our own self-presentation.

Some have this gift naturally. I do not. But I am beginning to think it's important. I notice that my stake president and our General Authorities and General Auxiliary leaders take great care in how they present themselves. I need to take a page from their book. Authenticity is important, but it need not be incompatible with grace.

I think you hit on something important Vort. If you are naturally a people person and can get people to like you, they'll look past how you are dressed.

I hate wearing a suit and tie. Absolutely hate it. I will only do so at funerals, really. Because of this, I know I have to work harder to overcome it. So far, I've been able to do very well in a demanding job and have my hair long, ear pierced, etc.  

Dumb humans and their dumb clothing-related customs.  I always seem to be messing them up somehow.  I've been the only guy in a polo shirt in a room full of suits and ties.  And vice versa.  

I do my best to dress like the people around me when I'm on the job.  I'll solicit feedback about attire from folks I consider to be safe and helpful.  But I don't like it.  After church as the cars are leaving, you can tell mine because it's the one with the tie chucked roughly into the back seat.

Personally, I just like to look my best whenever I can.  While I don't usually put on a suit to go to dinner, I do prefer at least a dress shirt and nice slacks.  Anything more formal than that gets a matching jacket, though the tie usually stays optional until the level of church or a date at a nice restaurant.

For me it all depends on who I am with. 

For most occasions, I suppose I just need to wear my work clothes, if I want to look good.  Or ok.

Of course having worked as a law clerk and then Attorney for more than 40 years, my work clothes are 3 piece suit or suit and tie, and WHITE shirt. 

And notice I said white.  There is nothing that gives a poor impression (to me, anyway) than a purple shirt on an Attorney. 

Purple?  No.

This is California.

That means casual.  It should not mean sloppy, but it does.

Comfort is important.  But sometimes, it's just nice to have women compliment one on how nice they look.

dc

Edited by David13

There is a book called Dress for Sucess by a former IBM salesman. It has a lot of insight and is still as relevant today as it was the many years ago since it was written.  Depending on your industry, one should dress appropriately.

I work in Silicon Valley, and ties have been gone for almost 20 years.  My personal dress is reflective of my clients and peers. I always hated ties etc. and the related attire so have been very glad to be liberated from this. The above being said, attorneys still wear ties in court, certain sales people still wear ties, and there are still formal events to go to.....I regard dressing for these events as putting on a costume.  I only own one suit, purchased when my daughter married and have only worn it on one or two occasions since by request.

My next tie event will be the cruise I'm going on in August. They are having formal nights, and I'll rent the appropriate "costume" on the ship.

I don't wear a tie to church but I would venture to say I'm better dressed than the average male attendee with his foam soled shoes, limp collared white shirt, polyester tie and the polyester blend suit.

6 hours ago, mrmarklin said:

I would venture to say I'm better dressed than the average male attendee with his foam soled shoes, limp collared white shirt, polyester tie and the polyester blend suit.

Is that polyester blend suit the best he has?

One ponders the meaning of Jacob's preaching:

And the hand of providence hath smiled upon you most pleasingly, that you have obtained many riches; and because some of you have obtained more abundantly than that of your brethren ye are lifted up in the pride of your hearts, and wear stiff necks and high heads because of the costliness of your apparel, and persecute your brethren because ye suppose that ye are better than they.

Lehi

Edited by LeSellers

6 hours ago, mrmarklin said:

I don't wear a tie to church but I would venture to say I'm better dressed than the average male attendee with his foam soled shoes, limp collared white shirt, polyester tie and the polyester blend suit.

You know, rather than just dictating out the conclusion, it would be better if you were to just post a photo.  Then we could draw our own conclusions.

But, even without a photo, I will say 'no tie - not well dressed'.

I don't know what church you attend, but the one I go to, it's about 99% ties and WHITE, notice I said white shirts. 

Except for some kids or teenagers, and you know about them.

You are going to worship our heavenly father, our lord.  Why not be better dressed. 

dc

Edited by David13

I'll tell you what I wore to church last Sunday:Remember, Silicon Valley area.

Formal Guayabera (pressed) shirt 100% linen.  (The cheapo cotton ones are not worth mentioning).

Wool slacks, Italian shoes with leather soles and rubber heels.

Polyester blend suits are one of my pet peeves, along with polyester ties.  Then people are wearing unpressed "white" shirts that are either "wash and wear" and/or have never seen a dry cleaner.  Crepe sole shoes are another problem, and I notice that missionaries use them a lot.  If I was their mission president, it would not be allowed.   Yeah, I'm better dressed than that.;)

FWIW, other than my Guayaberas, I don't own a white shirt.  Had enough of those serving on a mission.

On 4/24/2016 at 7:18 PM, David13 said:

(quoting mrmarklin) I would venture to say I'm better dressed than the average male attendee

Extra Celestial Points  for you!

Edited by Eowyn

17 minutes ago, mrmarklin said:

Polyester blend suits are one of my pet peeves, along with polyester ties.

With Texas summer heat and humidity, I think that's self enforcing here.  I may have a few that are poly blend because I wanted something goofy looking for an ugly sweater party or to make a statement when something was inappropriately formal, (brown/tan plaid jacket and different brown/tan plaid slacks with a pink/blue bow tie and a red shirt is still "suit and tie," after all) but the jackets are mostly wool, silk or wool/silk blend.

As long as I'm riding the bicycle, I don't get too picky about the shoes.  Usually my distressed Ariat ropers, since anything with shiny leather is going to get scuffed to heck in the clips.

Edited by NightSG

Dress to Impress is just another phrase for Respect.  The dress, of course, is not just showing respect for your boss/peers/others, it also shows respect of self.  It goes back to the 2nd of the greatest commandments to love others as yourself.

Respect is inherent in the way you decorate your temple.

You might say (like in the workplace)... I'm gonna wear whatever I want without regard to what would make you (the boss, the client, etc.) comfortable... that would be loving yourself more than others.  You might say (same workplace)... I'm gonna wear what makes you (the boss, the client, etc.) comfortable even if it makes me broke or ridiculously uncomfortable... that would be loving others more than yourself.

Get it?

Guest MormonGator
23 minutes ago, theSQUIDSTER said:

I think "dress to impress" has its origins in "dress to oppress."   ... or maybe the other way around.. But I digress..

I'm with you bud. I'm going home teaching tonight in my jeans and t-shirt. 

3 hours ago, Eowyn said:

Extra Celestial Points  for you!

HEY HEY HEY, that was not I what said that!  That was marklin.  Or should we say Mista Marklin, as in Mista Blackwell.

What you've got there Eowyn is false attribution, if you don't mind.

dc

Guest MormonGator

Bigger picture: 

During home teaching today we ran into a members non-member wife.  The wife said to me "No offense but you are the first normal looking Mormon to come around here." I get that all the time. The truth is that if you want to reach all types of people, you have to dress accordingly. That means you might have to leave the suit at home. 

19 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Bigger picture: 

During home teaching today we ran into a members non-member wife.  The wife said to me "No offense but you are the first normal looking Mormon to come around here." I get that all the time. The truth is that if you want to reach all types of people, you have to dress accordingly. That means you might have to leave the suit at home. 

You know the best part of that whole story? You did your home teaching! Great job!

A home teacher in jeans is 100% more effective than a brother in a suit that never goes.

Guest MormonGator
22 minutes ago, NeedleinA said:

You know the best part of that whole story? You did your home teaching! Great job!

A home teacher in jeans is 100% more effective than a brother in a suit that never goes.

Thank you my friend! 

I know it sounds cheesy to say this, but I genuinely like home teaching. It gives you a chance to know your brethren outside of church. You can see how they really live. 

3 hours ago, David13 said:

HEY HEY HEY, that was not I what said that!  That was marklin.  Or should we say Mista Marklin, as in Mista Blackwell.

What you've got there Eowyn is false attribution, if you don't mind.

dc

Oops! Unintended. I fixed it.