Brexit Proponent: Gotta love Nigel Farage.

anatess2

I first took notice of Nigel Farage when he lambasted the newly minted President of the European Union back in February of 2010 (Von Rompuy took office in Jan 2010).  And he says it like it is.  (see short video below).  Although Farage is not quite accurate in attacking Von Rompuy's appointment... after all, Rompuy was elected by the European Council (composed of the government leaders of the EU states), his speech struck a cord.  The EU has been trying to mimic the structure of the United States of America with each State leader choosing the President (in the US each State established a system by which the people gets to decide who the State chooses to be President - this does not exist in any State of the EU).  But they keep on messing up because each member state is too diverse from each other and they're forcing them to lose their individual identity in the name of multiculturalism and globalism.  For example - the EU wanted to ban certain teapots in the name of Climate Change... fine in Belgium, not fine in Britain (teapots are ingrained in British culture).  And so the British people are feeling the pinch of losing the things that make them British to a Belgian or foreign EU President.

Anyway, after decades of Nigel Farage fighting the EU over British autonomy, he finally found himself, surprisingly, with a resounding WIN.  In my opinion, Brexit is the right path for Britain in the same manner that I believe the dismantling of the Soviet Union was the right path for the Soviet States.  The United States of America is a unique conglomeration of States which is a success because of the strength of the US Constitution.

This Fox interview with Farage yesterday was brilliant - Farage expressed perfectly what I feel about the relationship between Britain and the EU:

Guest MormonGator
7 hours ago, anatess2 said:

I first took notice of Nigel Farage when he lambasted the newly minted President of the European Union back in February of 2010 

That was about the same time I noticed him too. Been a fan of his for years. 

Guest MormonGator
25 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Wow - British Trump

No he's hardly as crass, rude, insulting, insecure and flat out disgusting as Trump. Basically, he has class. Trump doesn't. 

I certainly see the similarity to Donald Trump.

Nigel Farage does seem extremely well informed and rather good at arguing for his position.  And directly in line with my own thinking.

And his stand on immigration appears to coincide with Trump and me.  So he's all right in my book.

dc

I admit that I am seriously impressed by the Fox News clip. That man is speaking my language. I almost laughed out loud when he called out Obama for his (typical) classless, condescending instruction toward the sadly benighted British, who rightly rewarded the "leader of the free world" with the finger. I'm less impressed by the first clip of him insulting von Rompuy, but that may just be because I have never understood or gotten used to the nasty rough-and-tumble tenor of European (especially British) political discourse.

4 minutes ago, Vort said:

I'm less impressed by the first clip of him insulting von Rompuy, but that may just be because I have never understood or gotten used to the nasty rough-and-tumble tenor of European (especially British) political discourse.

If you think the British are bad, check out the Australians!

I love Newt Gingrich.  I stumbled on this gem of an article by him yesterday echoing my suspicion that the Trump phenomenon has worldwide ramifications with Brexit only another cog in the wheel of change.  He did not mention the Philippine elections but that's probably because the nuance of a Bisaya politician winning the elections doesn't strike a foreign observer as "anti-establishment".

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/jun/28/trump-brexit-iceland-turin-and-rome/

Quotes from the article:

" She [Clinton] emphasized the dangers of Brexit whereas Trump had emphasized the opportunities."

" The first harbinger of change this year was May 23, the day of the Austrian presidential elections. " (The first one, in my opinion, is the Philippine presidential elections on May 8.  The 2 historically dominant parties in the Austrian elections, including the Social Democratic Party, were in the bottom of the pack.).

" The second big signal of change was the Italian municipal elections." (referring to Turin and Rome elections that was swept by the Five Star Movement)

" Brexit, then, was at least the third big-change election in the West this year."

" Fourth and finally, last Sunday was the little-noticed election of a new president in Iceland." (where 3 non-politicians led the field with the politician only receiving 13% of the vote).

Edited by anatess2

• 3 weeks later...