Ecumenism

Moksha

I have been intrigued by the Baptists at our Barbecue idea. I broached this with my Bishop a few years back. He more or less pooh poohed the idea because it was new and he wasn't being ordered to do it by his superiors. Still, the idea or a local ward partnering together with some other local congregation of another faith at a potluck or barbecue, in order to establish a greater appreciation of one another seems like a good idea.

In the film they used Baptists, but in real life it might be easier to get acquainted with less hellfire preaching groups such as Lutherans, Episcopalians, Catholics, etc....

If you were ever in a position to do this, have a write up about it in one of the Church publications, so that other wards could emulate your example.

I have been intrigued by the Baptists at our Barbecue idea. I broached this with my Bishop a few years back. He more or less pooh poohed the idea because it was new and he wasn't being ordered to do it by his superiors. Still, the idea or a local ward partnering together with some other local congregation of another faith at a potluck or barbecue, in order to establish a greater appreciation of one another seems like a good idea.

In the film they used Baptists, but in real life it might be easier to get acquainted with less hellfire preaching groups such as Lutherans, Episcopalians, Catholics, etc....

If you were ever in a position to do this, have a write up about it in one of the Church publications, so that other wards could emulate your example.

Thirty-four years ago I was in a Cambridge, MA student ward, and we would sometimes spend time with groups from different faiths. A Jewish group and a Quaker group were my favorites. Actually we met with the Quakers a number of times as their building was across the green from ours--we even attended each other's meetings. I loved hearing about their doctrines and methods of worshipping.

Elphaba

I know you think I make this stuff up as it's just a tad too convenient, but I swear to you that three weeks ago I visited a few really wonderful Jewish websites, Jewcy being my favorite, asking the essentially Protetestant's ignorant version of "how can I visit a service?"

I've observed many Jews find gentiles' desires to peek into their religious similar to voyeurism. I don't know if that's really true, but no one wrote me back on the websites.

And now today, once agin, Stuart pops up with just what I was looking for.

I'm beginning to suspect Stuart is one of the Three Nephites! :D

Elphaba

It might be easier for communities of faith to simply sponsor events that are open to the public. In advertising, just be certain that the group you wish to make friendly with gets the word.

In dating, if either side gets too serious too soon, it's a deal breaker. :-)

Having studied Hebrew, and of course loving the Old Testament, I skipped Institute one night with a buddy and we went and attended a local synagogue. I love hearing Hebrew spoken and chanted by the cantor. The teachings are always applicable, because they are based on the Old Testament's emphasis on making sacrifices and repenting in order to obtain mercy.

Having studied Hebrew, and of course loving the Old Testament, I skipped Institute one night with a buddy and we went and attended a local synagogue. I love hearing Hebrew spoken and chanted by the cantor. The teachings are always applicable, because they are based on the Old Testament's emphasis on making sacrifices and repenting in order to obtain mercy.

It is indeed a beautiful language, and religion (IMO).

------------

Speaking of building bridges. Anyone not familiar with Dr. Lynn Ridenhour might find his writings and views interesting.

• 3 weeks later...

One of the High Priests in our ward arranged an interfaith red cross blood drive to be held quarterly at one of the four churches involved...we hosted the first one and it was a smashing success...the other congregations are already planning for theirs...I agree that the hellfire crowd may be harder to deal with, no doubt fearing they will melt should they cross the threshold of a Mormon church...I have often wondered if there are other faiths that do such things as taking the sacrament to older folks in their community, or if they minister to the sick or care for the homeless in some fashion, etc...wondered if some type of interfaith ministery might work in those arenas...

as I have stated many times.....I have spent 10 yrs of my life as a Bishop and we have always had different things which involved working with the other Faiths in our area.....I never had some superior telling me I could or could not do it.....

Our Stake runs an annual door knock appeal with the Salvation Army.

We have a really good community relationship with them as a result.

Also, our chapel building is right next door to a Seventh day Adventist school.

They don't have a basketball court, so we give them the key to come and use ours.

We also hold a regional interfaith meeting for seminary and institute staff .

Pasters and ministers from a variety of christian faiths come to explain their beliefs.

They invite our CES guys along to similar meetings to do the same thing.

[One of the High Priests in our ward arranged an interfaith red cross blood drive to be held quarterly at one of the four churches involved...we hosted the first one and it was a smashing success...the other congregations are already planning for theirs...I agree that the hellfire crowd may be harder to deal with, no doubt fearing they will melt should they cross the threshold of a Mormon church...I have often wondered if there are other faiths that do such things as taking the sacrament to older folks in their community, or if they minister to the sick or care for the homeless in some fashion, etc...wondered if some type of interfaith ministery might work in those arenas...

Issac, this sounds most excellent. I hope you could let us know how those other efforts turn out.

Palerider, what types of interfaith activities did you participate in? Did they help foster a better interfaith understanding?

Onyx, I am very pleased to hear of your efforts. Your generosity with the SA school is admirable and your door knocking with the Salvation Army is great as well. I have always been impressed with the dedication of that group, and I bet your local Army appreciates you as well. Could you tell us more about those regional interfaith meetings?

<div class='quotemain'>

[One of the High Priests in our ward arranged an interfaith red cross blood drive to be held quarterly at one of the four churches involved...we hosted the first one and it was a smashing success...the other congregations are already planning for theirs...I agree that the hellfire crowd may be harder to deal with, no doubt fearing they will melt should they cross the threshold of a Mormon church...I have often wondered if there are other faiths that do such things as taking the sacrament to older folks in their community, or if they minister to the sick or care for the homeless in some fashion, etc...wondered if some type of interfaith ministery might work in those arenas...

Issac, this sounds most excellent. I hope you could let us know how those other efforts turn out.

Palerider, what types of interfaith activities did you participate in? Did they help foster a better interfaith understanding?

Onyx, I am very pleased to hear of your efforts. Your generosity with the SA school is admirable and your door knocking with the Salvation Army is great as well. I have always been impressed with the dedication of that group, and I bet your local Army appreciates you as well. Could you tell us more about those regional interfaith meetings?

Well the meetings are organised by the regional CES staff.

They have been running them for many years now.

Attendence is pretty much by invitation.

But it is also open for anyone who mught be interested.

Usually seminary and Intstitute volunteer teachers are able to attend.

It is a respectful forum...pasters and ministers explain the teachings of their particular church.

Questions are raised with respect and answered with equal respect.

It is never a bash session.

It works.