Favorite Anti Hero.

Fiannan

<div class='quotemain'>

So are anti-hero's the villains?

No, they are usually a leading character who sometimes behaves in a less that noble fashion. Clearly Ed Decker or Darth Vader would be villains rather than anti-heroes.

I beg to differ. If you watch all six star wars movies in order then you see that the main character of the films is Anakin Skywalker. It is his story and by becoming Darth Vader he becomes the biggest anti-hero of all. The villain of the star wars movies is clearly the Emperor.

No, they are usually a leading character who sometimes behaves in a less that noble fashion. Clearly Ed Decker or Darth Vader would be villains rather than anti-heroes.

Using that definition, I would have to say George Bush. When he first elected I thought he had a lot of potential, but turned out to be a huge disappointment to me.

Using that definition, I would have to say George Bush. When he first elected I thought he had a lot of potential, but turned out to be a huge disappointment to me.

He did say fictional in his question. haha just teasin ya :P

<div class='quotemain'>

Roland Deschain

I have yet to read any of the Dark Tower series.

Well, Grasshopper, it is time. :D

I hear they're making a movie about the Dark Tower.. I'm always hesitant when they make a Stephen King movie. Some are excellent. Some are so-so. Some are outright blasphemous. I hated The Shining. I thought they took all the humanity of out of the book. The finger thing was just too stupid. (Redrum, Redrum)

Obviously "Stand By Me" was genius. "It" was what rhymed with itself.

Elphaba

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-hero

http://www.flowerstorm.net/disa/Gallery/anti-explain.html

Definition of Anti-hero.

In fiction, an anti-hero is a protagonist who lacks traditional heroic qualities, or even one possessing traits antithetical to the traditional hero.

An anti-hero will typically perform acts which might be deemed "heroic" (at least in scale and daring), but by using methods, manners, or intentions that may not be so--they could even be considered underhanded or deceitful.

The word itself is a fairly recent invention, and its primary meaning has changed throughout the years. The 1940 edition of Merriam-Webster New International Dictionary listed the word but did not give a definition. Later sources would call the anti-hero a persona characterized by a lack of "traditional" heroic qualities.

I would have to say that Severus Snape is my favourite anti-hero.

When I think of anti-heroes, I think of Thomas Covenant. Even then, he was more of an unwilling hero.

Thomas Covenant started out bad with the rape of Lena and all that, but in his defense he thought it was just a dream. In the end he saved the Land.

In the Urth of the New Sun series by the greatest living author, Gene Wolfe, Severian the Torturer commits heinous deeds with honor in a world were they are appropriate.

In the TV world, Earl has committed many misdeeds, but not seeks to make amends so he can cross them off his list.

In the Urth of the New Sun series by the greatest living author, Gene Wolfe, Severian the Torturer commits heinous deeds with honor in a world were they are appropriate.

I tried so hard to get into this series, but I just couldn't do it. Should I try again?

What say ye Moksha?

Elphaba