I Made It To Iraq Again

Outshined

Well, I finally got to Iraq after a ton of training and waiting. Hope everything is going well with everyone here, and that everyone is healthy and happy.

Mississippi was miserable, Kuwait was amazingly hot, and I'm getting settled in at Al Asad in Iraq. Internet was blacked out for the first few days due to a soldier's death here on post (IED). They black out access until next of kin has been notified; keeps knotheads from getting the news out the wrong way.

As I said before, I'm PM'ing CK and Shanstress with my mailing address, so you can get it from them if you want it. I'm doing well, and getting used to the area again. My wife has reinforced her assertion that this is my final tour. B)

It's good to be back among you guys.

-Outshined

As I told you earlier, Outshined, I'll be hooking you and your guys (and ladies) up! Already got my list made out. Any idea how long it takes stuff to get there?

I'm so glad you checked in. Many of us were wondering about you.

Be safe, and THANKS!

Outshined,

I would like to thank you for the sacrifices that you are making for our country and for a better Iraq!

May God bless and protect you and your fellow soldiers until you have returned safely! :)

I will keep you and your family in my prayers!

Your at Al Asad airbase? nice...

At least you didn't get stuck out on some FOB in the middle of BFE.

Shanstress..

Packages shipped to APO addresses in Iraq take about two weeks, maybe even a few days less then that because he is at one of the larger bases over there.

Thanks Frank... that's good to know. I'll keep the longer shelf-life items in mind (like Twinkies :) ).

So wonderful to see you made it and are safe. Also good to see you made it online. We've all had you in our thoughts and prayers. And I as well would love an address for you and some ideas of what you all could use there.

Guest Yediyd

Well, I finally got to Iraq after a ton of training and waiting. Hope everything is going well with everyone here, and that everyone is healthy and happy.

Mississippi was miserable, Kuwait was amazingly hot, and I'm getting settled in at Al Asad in Iraq. Internet was blacked out for the first few days due to a soldier's death here on post (IED). They black out access until next of kin has been notified; keeps knotheads from getting the news out the wrong way.

As I said before, I'm PM'ing CK and Shanstress with my mailing address, so you can get it from them if you want it. I'm doing well, and getting used to the area again. My wife has reinforced her assertion that this is my final tour. B)

It's good to be back among you guys.

-Outshined

So glad to hear from you!! I have not been out here much lately, but it was especially nice to run across this thread!! I have been wondering how you were doing!! My prayers are with you, your family and the rest of the men and women over there. Thank you for what you are doing, Outshined!!! I really mean that!! I hate this war, but I love you guys and gals for your willingness to fight it!!

G-d bless you!!

Yediyd

Outshined...thank you for what you do, how you do it...and for thinking of us in the midst of the serious work before you. You truly are a hero.

Good to hear from you Outshined and thank you for what you are doing for all of us. No thanks can ever be enough to those over there making it safe for us at home.

Thanks for the kind words everyone! I appreciate your thoughts and friendship.

Anything you want to send is fine; I am in charge of a squad of nine people, so anything sent will be shared with them. Also, I have a couple of young ladies in my charge, so some of you might consider their special "girl needs"; I know they'd appreciate it...

I really can't complain about the assignment. I have comfortable quarters to sleep in (I share a 10' by 10' room with another guy), decent food, and internet access, which is like gold to me right now. I was even able to make a Skype call to my wife a little while ago! :idea:

I can't wait for the year to be over, but I could be doing a lot worse until then.

<div class='quotemain'>

Your at Al Asad airbase? nice...

At least you didn't get stuck out on some FOB in the middle of BFE.

Shanstress..

Packages shipped to APO addresses in Iraq take about two weeks, maybe even a few days less then that because he is at one of the larger bases over there.

Thanks Frank... that's good to know. I'll keep the longer shelf-life items in mind (like Twinkies :) ).

What our military people need most are calling cards so that they can talk to their families. AT&T has the military contract. You can add $20-$200 on his card. I don't know what the melting point is for twinkies but it is not all that good. There are American fast food places on his base so a gift card might be a great treat since he is supporting a family back home. I sent my son beef jerky and it was a nice "warm" treat when he got it. At 110F there, the heat index is something like 140F. Boxed packages are delivered faster than large envelopes. USPS has boxes of all sizes and shapes with "Priorty Mail" emblems. You have to fill out customs declarations forms and you should get one before you seal the box shut as you have to list all items being shipped. If you enclose a gift card just write cards & letters for security sakes. You will not be charged overseas mail prices. They charge you US prices so it is the same as sending it to their US military post.

Attention: Remember that there are LDS Clergy who hold services for our military in the combat zone. Please remember them in your packages. One of them sent me a picture of my son at their services for Mother's Day.

Hi Outshined.....may the force be with you!

The internet was blacked out for a few days here. I'm still doing fine; it's been quite windy the last couple of days, which isn't a good thing in a desert. :blink: My family is doing well, mostly because I married such a good woman. She's a rock.

Hope everyone is doing well here. It's good to check in with the gang once in a while.