My temple president

Sunday21

My temple president is at least 85 years old. I watch him serve as a greeter. He stoops to pick up a microscopic piece of paper up off the carpet. I am also a greeter but I am allowed to sit if there are no people so I am slumped in a chair. He is standing. We have over 400 volunteers in the temple. He instituted the practice of having all of the volunteers pictures because he tries to learn everyone's names. He asks me how my family history work is going because he knows this is important to me. I am one of 400 but he tries to remember something that makes me happy. He is on his feet pretty while continuously for about 6 hours. He works on his feet filling almost every priesthood position. I sometimes serve on my feet for an hour then I have to beg for a break. Before the temple opened he waited by the door for a half an hour to let in the workers. I asked him if I could take his place but he said that he likes to greet the workers. I have never known such a person before and I doubt that I will ever meet such a man again.

Guest LiterateParakeet

He does sound amazing!  Which temple is this?  I'm only curious because my husband is one of the ground's keepers at the Seattle temple.  One of his bosses (up the chain) oversees a couple temples, and the Vancouver, Canada temple is one of them.  So a week or so ago they went up there together.  Then today (?) the Vancouver Temple President came here and talked to my husband getting some recommendations of plants and such.  Just curious if it was the same person.  

40 minutes ago, Maureen said:

Here's a weird question. Would the LDS Church call someone in their 80s to be a Temple President? I've noticed some are called in their 60s and 70s, but someone in their 80s is getting up there.

M.

I have seen members who are in the 90's - holding callings in the Ward or Stake who are more physically and mentally fit than the 30-50 somethings. I am in my 60's and they out-run/do me.

I have also seen 60 to late 70 members who are just existing. They drag to and from. I feel like that most of the time. My mind is not aging at all as fast as my body. But the constant and insistent pain that invades by body, wears one down. Just last night I was really close to going to the new motel near me and renting one of the rooms that features a jacuzzi because in my mind that is what would ease the pain and bring blessed comfort.

Back on track  to your question Maureen ~ ~ yes, the LDS church would and does call someones who are in their 80's and quit possibly in their 90's to be Temple Presidents as well as other callings.

10 hours ago, Maureen said:

Here's a weird question. Would the LDS Church call someone in their 80s to be a Temple President? I've noticed some are called in their 60s and 70s, but someone in their 80s is getting up there.

M.

Yes they would call someone that age .....my example is of a man who was 82yrs old and called as the Bishop of his Ward.  First time he was ever called as a Bishop.  

18 hours ago, Iggy said:

I have seen members who are in the 90's - holding callings in the Ward or Stake who are more physically and mentally fit than the 30-50 somethings. I am in my 60's and they out-run/do me.

I have also seen 60 to late 70 members who are just existing. They drag to and from. I feel like that most of the time. My mind is not aging at all as fast as my body. But the constant and insistent pain that invades by body, wears one down. Just last night I was really close to going to the new motel near me and renting one of the rooms that features a jacuzzi because in my mind that is what would ease the pain and bring blessed comfort.

Back on track  to your question Maureen ~ ~ yes, the LDS church would and does call someones who are in their 80's and quit possibly in their 90's to be Temple Presidents as well as other callings.

If you live near a large hotel you can often pay a modest fee to use the guest facilities. You could call a hotel and inquire. Also gyms often have a day rate. A sauna might do it for you.

On 10/26/2016 at 1:06 AM, LiterateParakeet said:

He does sound amazing!  Which temple is this?  I'm only curious because my husband is one of the ground's keepers at the Seattle temple.  One of his bosses (up the chain) oversees a couple temples, and the Vancouver, Canada temple is one of them.  So a week or so ago they went up there together.  Then today (?) the Vancouver Temple President came here and talked to my husband getting some recommendations of plants and such.  Just curious if it was the same person.  

My family used to enjoy making impromptu trips to the Seattle temple after church on Sunday just to walk the grounds. Your husband does good work and we appreciate it.

Guest LiterateParakeet
4 hours ago, mordorbund said:

My family used to enjoy making impromptu trips to the Seattle temple after church on Sunday just to walk the grounds. Your husband does good work and we appreciate it.

Thanks!  He's part of a team, but I'll tell him. :)  

On October 26, 2016 at 10:08 AM, Maureen said:

M.

There is nothing that forbids it.