MormonHub Forum Flurry! Puzzle

zil

1 hour ago, zil said:

*I did not invent the logic underlying this puzzle.  I took the logic from an existing puzzle and used it to make this one (in case someone's thinking I'm smart enough to make this up from scratch).

Actually, it's a lot easier to create them.  When creating the problem the logic is linear and you know exactly what is there.  Going from these clues to the grid is working in a two dimensional grid with four variables and missing information must be deduced.  That's not as easy.

If you do four of these per day, I'd say you've got a lot of time on your hands, or you're just really good at them.  I had to work all day on this one.  But I had to work on three projects and they're threatening to give me more work.  Can you believe that?  :eek:

Can't they just stop asking me questions? It's like they think it's my job to answer their questions or something...:ph34r:

45 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Actually, it's a lot easier to create them.  When creating the problem the logic is linear and you know exactly what is there.  Going from these clues to the grid is working in a two dimensional grid with four variables and missing information must be deduced.  That's not as easy.

If you say so...

ETA: I mean figuring out what clues to give, so the user has just enough to get the answer, is hard.  Randomizing the answers into a grid to set up the problem is easy.

45 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

If you do four of these per day, I'd say you've got a lot of time on your hands, or you're just really good at them.  I had to work all day on this one.  But I had to work on three projects and they're threatening to give me more work.  Can you believe that?  :eek:

Let's blame the "all day" thing on all the other stuff on your plate, OK? :)

I only get 4 one day per week, 3 one day per week, 1 one day per week, the remaining days, I get 2.  :embarrassed: Don't hate me, but only the hard puzzle (on the day when I get 4) takes me more than ~15 minutes.  I do them after work, um, to relax and clear my head.  (I spend 30-60 minutes doing a 3-5 word puzzles and then the logic puzzles.)  My mom used to do these, and I'm sure that's where I picked it up - from her puzzle books - so I've been doing these for a very long time (off and on).

Edited by zil

Okay, I tried it again. I think (but would not bet on it) that I solved it. Select the invisotext below to reveal my proposed solution. Took three tries, and I'm still not sure I got it right.

1: NeedleInA, "New Family Member", Current Events, anatess2

2: Vort, "Holy Cow!", Advice Board, Sunday21

3: Carborendum, "Facsimile 2", General Discussion, LiterateParakeet

4: Zarahemla, "She's Finally Gone", LDS Gospel Discussion, MormonGator

Edited by Vort

6 hours ago, Vort said:

Okay, I tried it again. I think (but would not bet on it) that I solved it. Select the invisotext below to reveal my proposed solution. Took three tries, and I'm still not sure I got it right.

Yes, you got it right. :)   Congratulations.  Now, just do 1 or 2 per day and you'll be a pro in no time! :lol:  They've stopped updating this page, but there's a ton there (you can do them online or print them).  They range from easy to "I think they forgot some clues" (seriously, there are a few I cannot solve).  The only other source I know (my current source) has "new"* ones every day, but most are really easy, again, you can do them online, or print them.

*I'm convinced they have a database and code for generating these and it just cycles through categories and items, making random puzzles that reuse the same things in different combinations - not nearly as good as the puzzles at the first link.

Thanks @zil. The most memorable logic puzzle I've tried to solve (I failed) was in Games magazine. There were was a map of some islands and you were told that pirates buried treasure in 6 locations across the islands. Your job was to solve where the treasure was buried (doesn't matter who buried it, and some islands had multiple treasure locations). The clues were something like the following:

1. The Dread Pirate Roberts only sets sail on Thursdays.
  2. You should dig where the X's are. That is where the treasure is hidden
  3. Blackbeard always avoids the Dread Pirate Roberts.
  4. Williamson was not much of a pirate and always wore a red shirt and brown pants.
  5. Everything you need to find the treasure is on this page.

Naturally I sifted out the nonsense clues that actually have nothing to do with the puzzle. Then I realized I didn't have any clues left, so I put them all back in and looked for something fancier (there were no X's on that page for instance, except the one in the clue - not even crossed trees or anything). I was right to judge most of the clues as nonsense, since only 2 were required to solve the puzzle. 5 told me to look on that page for information, but I was only looking on the front of the page. On the back was a crossword puzzle that had 6 X's in the solution. 2 told me to dig there, so punching holes at the x put holes on the map right where the treasure was.

22 hours ago, zil said:

I only get 4 one day per week, 3 one day per week, 1 one day per week, the remaining days, I get 2.  :embarrassed: Don't hate me, but only the hard puzzle (on the day when I get 4) takes me more than ~15 minutes.  I do them after work, um, to relax and clear my head.  (I spend 30-60 minutes doing a 3-5 word puzzles and then the logic puzzles.)  

For someone like myself, who leaves the doing of logic puzzles to those more suited to that kind of task,  this sort of behaviour sounds very puzzle ing

33 minutes ago, mordorbund said:

...5 told me to look on that page for information, but I was only looking on the front of the page. On the back was a crossword puzzle that had 6 X's in the solution. 2 told me to dig there, so punching holes at the x put holes on the map right where the treasure was.

Hmm.  There's just one problem - the crossword puzzle was actually on the other side of the sheet.  Each sheet features 2 pages - the front and the back.  Pages only have one side, cuz they are the side...  So "Everything you need to find the treasure is on this page." is actually a lie.  (Ask any paper expert: 40 sheets = 80 pages.) :P

8 minutes ago, zil said:

Hmm.  There's just one problem - the crossword puzzle was actually on the other side of the sheet.  Each sheet features 2 pages - the front and the back.  Pages only have one side, cuz they are the side...  So "Everything you need to find the treasure is on this page." is actually a lie.  (Ask any paper expert: 40 sheets = 80 pages.) :P

I was going to say that. Well, something like that. I probably would have used different words to get the idea across.

Anyway, I did the puzzle and am pretty sure I solved it. My method of answer-checking is to write out my answer then run through the clues to make sure it fits, and my answer did. I hadn't participated in the discussion before because once I saw it was a logic puzzle, I decided not to read any more until I was ready to work on it, just in case somebody posted hints.

And I always use circles instead of dots. Circles stand out more and are less likely to be made accidentally.

2 minutes ago, Vort said:

There are paper experts?

Yes.  Once you get into fountain pens, you have to start learning about paper, because good pens are not pleasant without good paper.  And when reviewing, it's a big deal if you accidentally swap sheet / page count around.

4 minutes ago, SilentOne said:

I was going to say that. Well, something like that. I probably would have used different words to get the idea across.

Anyway, I did the puzzle and am pretty sure I solved it. My method of answer-checking is to write out my answer then run through the clues to make sure it fits, and my answer did. I hadn't participated in the discussion before because once I saw it was a logic puzzle, I decided not to read any more until I was ready to work on it, just in case somebody posted hints.

And I always use circles instead of dots. Circles stand out more and are less likely to be made accidentally.

So did you check against the answer @Vort posted?  (You have to select the white text in order to read it.)

2 hours ago, zil said:

Meh, I've moved on. I'm not going to revert back to crying "foul" on that puzzle. Especially since doing so with integrity would mean finding an archive to get the actual wording.

3 hours ago, mordorbund said:

The clues were something like the following

Good work @mordorbund. Way to protect yourself from pedant puzzlers. Be on the lookout though, you don't want a repeat of when that philologistic flagellation from that philatelist forum turned fatal.

On 12/3/2016 at 3:57 PM, zil said:

If you keep this up, I'm going to accuse you of actually being my daughter who secretly set up an account without my permission.  Then I'll realize that she's using up all her babysitting money on fountain pens and little notebooks, requiring me to ban you from the office supplies store for a month.

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

If you keep this up, I'm going to accuse you of actually being my daughter who secretly set up an account without my permission.  Then I'll realize that she's using up all her babysitting money on fountain pens and little notebooks, requiring me to ban you from the office supplies store for a month.

:lol:

3 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

requiring me to ban you from the office supplies store for a month

It's highly abnormal for office supply stores to sell fountain pens (in the US).  I get all my pens online.

2 hours ago, zil said:

:lol:

It's highly abnormal for office supply stores to sell fountain pens (in the US).  I get all my pens online.

I actually worked for an office supply store who sold fountain pens.  They even supplied Mont Blanc pens.  They didn't keep them in stock.  But if you wanted one, they could order it.

1 minute ago, Carborendum said:

I actually worked for an office supply store who sold fountain pens.  They even supplied Mont Blanc pens.  They didn't keep them in stock.  But if you wanted one, they could order it.

Yes, well, times have changed since your youth.  Our TV remotes don't click any more, and phones don't have "dials"... :P

Guest MormonGator
46 minutes ago, zil said:

Yes, well, times have changed since your youth.  Our TV remotes don't click any more, and phones don't have "dials"... :P

When @Carborendum was a young man....um....er....

I have officially run out of jokes about his age.

Dude is so old.