Could Milo speak at BYU?

dahlia

Guest MormonGator
16 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Since you're so concerned about using overly broad brushes, perhaps you can explain why on earth you were so bold as to assert that "conservatives -  including Trumpers - do not like Milo".  And then explain why you tried to associate me with the "Trump-is-fascist" set even though a forum search will reveal that I have *NEVER* applied that word to him.

And, you know what?  If being on a "high horse" entails being openly relieved that I will never have to explain why I made excuses for Milo's debaucheries and Trump's character assassinations and predations and outright lies in the name of political expediency--

Guilty. :D:D:D 

I only wish more Americans could join me on high horses of their own; instead of having sold those horses to Trump's glue factory.

Seriously @Just_A_Guy, I really wish you'd take off the "Make America Great Again" hat. 

22 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Since you're so concerned about using overly broad brushes, perhaps you can explain why on earth you were so bold as to assert that "conservatives -  including Trumpers - do not like Milo".  And then explain why you tried to associate me with the "Trump-is-fascist" set even though a forum search will reveal that I have *NEVER* applied that word to him.

And, you know what?  If being on a "high horse" entails being openly relieved that I will never have to explain why I made excuses for Milo's debaucheries and Trump's character assassinations and predations and outright lies in the name of political expediency--

Guilty. :D:D:D 

I only wish more Americans could join me on high horses of their own; instead of having sold those horses to Trump's glue factory.

Because they don't.  Conservatives = leadership and majority of the rank and file.  Conservatives in college campuses does not equal Conservatives as a whole.  Have you ever heard of Milo being celebrated by any of the conservative pundits?  Have you ever heard any Congressman, anybody on Fox News, anybody on conservative talk radio celebrate Milo before the UC Berkley event or for anything other than the UC Berkley event?  Have you heard Milo speak in the RNC, to the RNC, within the RNC?

My use of the Trump is facist is a reaction to Sold Your Souls.  You only sell your souls to Satan or fascists.  Frankly, sold your soul is so insulting I wanted to use something worse than Fascist but can't think of one.

I see you edited your post so I'm adding this:

"You won" makes no difference.  Throwing pot shots at Trumpers as soul sellers has to be addressed.  It's bad enough we have to put up with rioting liberals.

Edited by anatess2

4 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Because they don't.  Conservatives = leadership and majority of the rank and file.  Conservatives in college campuses does not equal Conservatives as a whole.  Have you ever heard of Milo being celebrated by any of the conservative pundits?  Have you ever heard any Congressman, anybody on Fox News, anybody on conservative talk radio celebrate Milo before the UC Berkley event or for anything other than the UC Berkley event?  Have you heard Milo speak in the RNC, to the RNC, within the RNC?

So, having denied me the right to paint with a broad brush, you now insist on doing it yourself.  With Trump's apologists having spent the last year arguing about how the conservative punditry, media, and congressional media have betrayed "true conservatives"--now here you are saying that of course Congress, Fox News, talk radio, and the RNC are appropriate and accurate bellwethers for rank-and-file conservatism.

Gaslighting isn't supposed to be quite this noticeable.

My use of the Trump is facist is a reaction to Sold Your Souls.  You only sell your souls to Satan or fascists.  Frankly, sold your soul is so insulting I wanted to use something worse than Fascist but can't think of one.

No.  There may be a linguistic barrier at play here (you've mentioned in the past that English isn't your native language), but "to sell one's soul" is a common English idiom meaning to betray the principles one once professed to adhere to.  It is true that the idiom derives from the idea of a Faustian bargain with the devil.  It is not true, however, that the idiom is reserved for dealings with the devil or Hitler.

And, yeah.  Mormons who claim that gay sex is sin--and conservatives who claim to be horrified at the idea of predatory gay adults "recruiting" innocent children--are betraying their principles by continued support for Milo in the wake of these new revelations and trying to present his words as something innocuous.  And they are at least compromising their principles, if not outright betraying them, by making excuses for the dishonest, slanderous, and predatory Trump.  

Do you find that disturbing?

Good.  

So do I.

I see you edited your post so I'm adding this:

"You won" makes no difference.  Throwing pot shots at Trumpers as soul sellers has to be addressed.  It's bad enough we have to put up with rioting liberals.

Heh.  Unity in the face of ideological opposition wasn't such a big deal to Trumpers back when they weren't running the party.  They were happy to sit in the background and snipe, regardless of how the left exploited the wedges they were driving.  You write paeans to Milo's refusal to sit down and shut up; but then you tell me that in the name of party expediency I have to do the exact same thing.  

First off:  No.  Not gonna do it.  Trump's apologists did what they did; and they don't get to buy indulgences just because their boy happens to be delivering a few goodies that can and will be revoked by the next Democratic president who comes along.  Conservatives and Republicans can return to their roots and re-embrace the virtues of honor, and integrity, and deliberation, and consideration, and morality, and--well--not sexually victimizing people; or they can continue to have their consciences pricked by people like me who draw contrasts between what they were versus what they have allowed themselves to become. 

Second off:  I find it highly amusing that a supporter of Trump, of all people, is suddenly so sensitive to "insulting" political discourse.  This is what you wanted, Anatess.  This is what you strove for.  The evisceration of the old norms of political discourse.  Directness.  Toughness.  Action.  Creative destruction.  

Now, if I'm to believe the above; you're coming down with the vapors just because progressives have spent the last month acting like progressives.  On top of all that, a little internal dissent is just too much for you guys?  Goodness, Anatess.  I've stepped my discourse up, maybe a notch or two.  Do you really think the progressives will confine themselves to dialing things up a notch or two?  You think they can't, and won't, do even more than they've been doing?  Throw insults more gleefully?  Offer snark and catchphrases more memorably?  Lie more flagrantly?  Control the media more tightly?  Purge the educational, legal, medical, scientific, and entertainment professions of nonconformists more thoroughly?  Deploy the deep state against American interests more devastatingly?  Riot more violently?

Trump and his followers decided to escalate the war, gambling that for the foreseeable future Trump would be the biggest, baddest strongman in American politics.  The trouble is--progressives are now openly saying it's war, which generally they weren't doing in the past.  What you're seeing from me--and what you've seen from the liberals over the past month--is child's play compared to what the left is about to do.  So I would respectfully suggest that you guys quit complaining that some religious idealists like me hurt your feelsies; and figure out how you're going to weather this storm that's coming.

You thought that, once things got tough, you could blackmail and guilt and drag NeverTrumpers into the fray on your side.  Well, guess what--I'm still sitting over here in the peanut gallery, eating popcorn and calling out nonsense wherever I see it; trusting in the ultimate wisdom and protection of a Master whose principles both sides dismissed as irrelevant.

You wanted war with the left.  You got war with the left.

I suggest you not lose.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

8 hours ago, anatess2 said:

It's bad enough we have to put up with rioting liberals.

People in politics are a lot like fruit.  While they are, green and connected to the tree - they grow.  But when they get picked - they start to turn rotten.

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

• 1 month later...
On 2/22/2017 at 11:16 AM, NeuroTypical said:

Anyway, I figure he's going to fade out of the spotlight now.  Resigned from Breitbart.  Simon & Schuster dropped publication of his book, days after it hit #1 on Amazon pre-sales.  His glory speaking gig at CPAC all rescinded.   I figure in a year or three, he'll be that guy who was a flash in the pan during the Trump election drama.  I've been wrong with predictions before, so whatever.  Maybe he'll stay in the spotlight as long as speaking gigs make the news.

Wow - I figured his story would fade over time in a year or three.  It's barely been two months, and I haven't heard anything about Milo since this thread.  

Seems like the whole nation got weird during and shortly after the Trump campaign, we all got hepped up on the nazi goofer train, and now we've all moved on.  And Milo is just about a "used to be".

This is me, trying to bridge my short-term political memory with my long-term political memory.  

2 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Wow - I figured his story would fade over time in a year or three.  It's barely been two months, and I haven't heard anything about Milo since this thread.  

Seems like the whole nation got weird during and shortly after the Trump campaign, we all got hepped up on the nazi goofer train, and now we've all moved on.  And Milo is just about a "used to be".

This is me, trying to bridge my short-term political memory with my long-term political memory.  

Hmm wonder if that is about the amount of time people need to start seeing past the bluster and lies. (need a new distraction to crow about)