Why is it so hard to get members to VT/HT?

Suzie

Approaching Zion > 3: Zeal Without Knowledge, Hugh Nibley.  emphasis (at the end) mine:

In one of his fascinating scientific survey books, this time dealing with the latest discoveries about the brain, Nigel Calder notes, “Two of the most self-evident characteristics of the conscious mind [are that] . . . the mind attends to one thing at a time, [and] that, at least once a day, . . . the conscious mind is switched off.” Both of these operations are completely miraculous and completely mysterious. I would like to talk about the first of them. You can think of only one thing at a time!

Let us remember that quite peculiar to the genius of Mormonism is the doctrine of a God who could preoccupy himself with countless numbers of things: “The heavens, they are many, and they cannot be numbered unto man; but they are numbered unto me, for they are mine” (Moses 1:37).

Plainly, we are dealing with two orders of minds. “My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are . . . my thoughts than your thoughts” (Isaiah 55:8-9).

But why this crippling limitation on our thoughts if we are God’s children? It is precisely this limitation that is the essence of our mortal existence. If every choice I make expresses a preference, if the world I build up is the world I really love and want, then with every choice I am judging myself, proclaiming all the day long to God, angels, and my fellowmen where my real values lie, where my treasure is, the things to which I give supreme importance. Hence, in this life every moment provides a perfect and foolproof test of your real character, making this life a time of testing and probation.

• 2 weeks later...
On February 18, 2017 at 5:46 PM, Suzie said:

I know there are people who have personal challenges and they are not able to VT/HT. But generally speaking and in your view, why is it so hard to get members to VT/HT?

The small and simple things are the easiest to procrastinate.

Home Teaching is a two way street.  One way, the Home Teachers must be willing to do Home Teaching.  The Other way, the family MUSTS be willing to work with the Home Teacher to be home taught.  When one of those is not there, there is no home teaching.

A Large part of the problem with getting home teaching done (and I suppose it could also be visiting teaching) is that there are many families that simply don't want to have the Home Teachers there.  This is a continual problem I've had (and it seems I constantly get many who are not even at their addresses again, not sure why they assign me to find people who obviously no one has seen for months or years, and then only after I hunt them down to see who actually lives there do they finally realize that member is no longer at that home).

Other times, that family is just really busy.  I try to get my home teaching done early, so if there are problems I have the rest of the month to try to work through it, but getting home teaching done can be very difficult when there is no time to see a family.

Ever had home teachers who you don't feel comfortable around and you don't really want in your home?  

I have!  

I was unemployed many years ago as a new law graduate, and it was a struggle for awhile.  My home teacher at the time came up to me in Sunday School while I was minding my own business and started interrogating me on my personal life (I barely knew the guy, and it was frankly pretty unnatural and uncomfortable).  The subject of employment came up, and I was like, "well, I just took the bar and I don't have a job yet."  He said, "Oh law.  I thought about going to law school, and I would have done very well there, but the employment prospects are awful, and the hiring is awful, and it is really a worthless degree.  So I went and got an MBA instead, and now I am making six figures!  Thank goodness I changed my mind from making THAT mistake.  Tee hee hee!"

I almost asked him then and there if he wanted me to give him a medal for his exemplary life choices.  There is such a thing as constructive criticism, and there is such a thing as kicking a guy when he is down.

Needless to say, this home teacher was not welcome in my home.  The last thing I need is someone in my house, judging me and my family, and shoving himself into my private business (as opposed to the way it is supposed to be, where I invite a trusted friend into my life, knowing that friend will help and not hurt).  It wasn't really an issue, though, because the guy never asked if he could come home teach me anyways.

(My unemployment did eventually end, in case you are wondering.)

So yes, sometimes home teaching does not get done because the family does not want the home teacher there.  And yes, sometimes it is the home teacher's fault.

Edited by DoctorLemon

Just now, JohnsonJones said:

I would hope that those I've had trouble seeing are not because I'm a jerk. 

Normally they tend to be ones who no longer live at the address, or are inactive and also don't want missionaries, bishopric, and others visiting.

However, it could be just me...though I hope not.

I don't know you, so I can't conclusively say you aren't a jerk! :)   (You seem like a nice guy from your posts, though!)

Seriously, I think it is very probable that, if you are using basic common sense and are making some effort to take care of others' feelings, the people are just hard to find and/or are dodging contact with the Church, and it has nothing to do with you.  Besides, the fact you are concerned about coming off wrong to others is a very good sign that you are taking their feelings into consideration!

Edited by DoctorLemon

Guest MormonGator
1 hour ago, The Folk Prophet said:

I don't know that the question is right. Doing HT/VT is a matter of faith. The question should be, how can we help to increase member's faith?

I think that's just rhetoric, to some degree. 

Don't you think that relationships have to do with ht/vt? Ask yourself-if you were paired with someone like me who you didn't like, agree with or get along with-how easy would it be to put that aside and go home teaching? Not so much. 

Edited by MormonGator

1 hour ago, MormonGator said:

Ask yourself-if you were paired with someone like me who you didn't like, agree with or get along with-how easy would it be to put that aside and go home teaching? Not so much. 

Nonsense. I work with people I don't like all the time. Typically it's because I get paid to do so. Money is a motivator. How much more important than money should be my love of God and willingness to put my trust in Him and his chosen leaders?

And I have no idea whether I like you or not Gator. You're a jerk to me sometimes online (and I presume that you feel the same way about me) but that's hardly representative of much. Online is a fake pseudo world that often has little to do with reality. ;)  Not only do we say things we never would in reality, but tone, etc., it entirely missing. I suspect in real life you'd quite like me and vice versa. But part of the other problem with the online world is that for some reason people interpret disagreement as disagreeable. I disagree with people in real life just as much as I do online and yet it never leads to the sort of vitriol, ignoring, etc., as it does online. People can't get away with being that way in person. It would not go over well.

Guest MormonGator
18 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

You're a jerk to me sometimes online (and I presume that you feel the same way about me) 

100% agree, but I'd use stronger, non churchy words. 

18 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Online is a fake pseudo world that often has little to do with reality

100% disagree. Who you are online is very revealing about who you are offline. In fact, the more people I've had the pleasure to meet "in real life" the more I'm convinced of that. 

Edited by MormonGator

5 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

100% disagree. Who you are online is very revealing about who you are offline. In fact, the more people I've had the pleasure to meet "in real life" the more I'm convinced of that. 

I agree that who one is online is revealing. But it is not "who you are". It exposes parts of who one is. Probably parts that are not exposed otherwise. But it hides a great deal as well.