The Best Follow Ups for When BYU Says No

BYU denied your application, but we're here to help. Lots of Latter-day Saints have their hearts set on the Church's university in Provo, but more applicants get rejected than accepted, so you're in good company. Not only can you still have a good college experience, you might even have a better one after exploring new options. Here's how. Take a Moment Being sad is okay! It's completely fine to take some time to work through that disappointment. Know that you are still awesome, you can still succeed in life, and that it's nothing personal. Buy some chocolate, pop on those bunny slippers, and feel for a bit. Once you're feeling up to it, it's time to see what your next steps could be. Try Your Second Choice Even if BYU was your dream school, you probably applied to other colleges as well. Because of BYU's connection to the church, you may have prioritized it over school's with a better geographical or academic fit for you. You can have an amazing college experience somewhere...

View the full article

After a cursory look at this article I found one advice that was given that strikes me as potentially disappointing.  The writers suggest finding another school with an honor code. Most of the options on their list are for conservative Christian schools. Many of these will require religious studies courses that will treat LDS theology as heretical. That can be okay, if the applicant knows this going in, but could leave him/her looking and feeling foolish, if they don't. 

I get Matt's point, but mostly disagree. College teaches reading, writing, researching, analyzing, and context. It prepares those who undertake it for leadership and management roles. Technicians, laborers, mechanics, and other "line workers" probably do not need it (though it hurts no one), but it makes sense to me that medium and large organizations want a good portion of their people to have higher education under their belts.

I personally do not place much value on college education (although I have one due to the modern societal requirement).  Quality experience is much more important.  I agree with Walsh as well.  I believe our society should reject modern universities as a whole and mostly return to a 'trade' approach (this could easily help resolve the 'snowflake' problem too!).

Imagine working minimum wage for a company for 4-6 years while being trained and taught in the industry all that you will need to know to be successful in your career.  You come out age 24-26 with zero debt and plenty of skills.  It should not take long for a hard working and capable individual to be able to provide greater value to the company than what they are expending.  If you did not work up to your potential you would be asked to go elsewhere, but you learned it in one paid year rather than after four years and thousands in debt.  Even if it were an unpaid internship that is better than four years of paying for what basically amounts to nothing. :D

I went to a business school for a portion of my degree and 3 of my professors had never worked a real job managing, marketing, or doing other business related tasks in their life, which they were supposed to be teaching me how to do.  What programmer comes out of college having learned more from their courses than from their hours of tinkering and working on projects at home?

15 hours ago, Vort said:

I completely agree with Walsh. College diplomas have become a racket, and have turned even good universities into diploma mills. "Women's studies"? Really?

I will qualify my endorsement of college education--and more pointedly, of liberal arts education--by adding, 'buyer beware.'  We've been college hunting for our daughters, and there are quite a few offering a solid, faith-founded, private education for about $30K (tuition, room/board & expenses). That sounds high, but about $20K of that is just the expense of shelter and food, while learning.  The rewards that come from broader, better-informed thinking and communicating skills is profound.  BTW, I am dead-set against tax-payer subsidizing schemes, such as those that were proposed in the last election, by Sanders and Clinton.  IMHO, a hidden agenda there was to undermine religious schools of higher-learning, by driving middle-income and below to public schools, and driving up taxes further, so the rest of us could not afford the schools at all.

11 hours ago, prisonchaplain said:

I will qualify my endorsement of college education--and more pointedly, of liberal arts education--by adding, 'buyer beware.'  We've been college hunting for our daughters, and there are quite a few offering a solid, faith-founded, private education for about $30K (tuition, room/board & expenses). That sounds high, but about $20K of that is just the expense of shelter and food, while learning.  The rewards that come from broader, better-informed thinking and communicating skills is profound.  BTW, I am dead-set against tax-payer subsidizing schemes, such as those that were proposed in the last election, by Sanders and Clinton.  IMHO, a hidden agenda there was to undermine religious schools of higher-learning, by driving middle-income and below to public schools, and driving up taxes further, so the rest of us could not afford the schools at all.

Would you consider having your daughters attend a secular liberal arts college and taking a few religious classes in the evening?

https://www.google.ca/search?q=concordia+university+tuition+international+students&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-ca&client=safari

the costs are in Canadian dollars. 

Even better @Sunday21, here's an Evangelical university in Canada, that appears to only charge 14,000 Canadian$ per year.   http://www.providenceuc.ca/college/prospective_students/apply_to_college/us_students/

I'm guessing that their Cambridge High School program classes will be appealing to the admissions people too--maybe even more than in the U.S., since it's English-based.

22 hours ago, prisonchaplain said:

Even better @Sunday21, here's an Evangelical university in Canada, that appears to only charge 14,000 Canadian$ per year.   http://www.providenceuc.ca/college/prospective_students/apply_to_college/us_students/

I'm guessing that their Cambridge High School program classes will be appealing to the admissions people too--maybe even more than in the U.S., since it's English-based.

I work at a university in Canada. The Cambridge High School program is excellent preparation for university. In Canada, admissions departments normally just look st the grade and do not adjust per school. I have noticed that students from international programs like Cambridge or international baccalaureate (IB) do very well. We give university credits for IB courses so perhaps we might do the same for Cambridge? 

And there is a business school as well! If your daughters are interested, they might be able to take a joint program.

I have lived in Manitoba. People are kind and friendly. There are many of Ukraine ancestary so perogies are plentiful. Winters are cold. A long down coat - Canada goose is popular - is a good choice. 

I miss Manitoba. It is a place where you never lack for a friend. You go to the store and immediately make friends. Lovely people. It is also one of those places, where you go to church and immediately the church ladies are trying to invite you for dinner. A lovely place to live.

Edited by Sunday21