"I'm a thinker. I just can't help thinking."

Vort

On 4/24/2017 at 11:54 AM, Vort said:

Seems to me that this is mostly a matter of just plain old pridefulness, mixed in with a generous dollop of utter cluelessness about how other people think about and deal with difficult topics.

Didn't you just give the dictionary definition of every High Priest's group in the church?  I thought that's why we have High Priests - so all these people can go be with all the people who fall asleep, off in a room by themselves, and everyone is happy.

Does your ward also have HP Group meet in the chapel, behind the podium?  That's so the sound of overzealous righteousness and snoring won't carry to the rest of the building.

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 11:54 AM, Vort said:

An utterly shameless, comically undisguised humblebrag. Ever notice how often certain types of people in the Church (and outside it) say this? It's the kind of thing you would expect from a 15-year-old boy, perhaps. But I'm talking about actual adults, people in their 20s, 30s, 40s...maybe 80s...

I guess what they are saying is, "I can't help it if I'm so spiritually deep and introspective that I mentally dissect ideas to get at their true core, while the rest of you shallow fools don't do such profound things and as a result never perceive the irregularities and other problems that my tremendous intellect and spiritual greatness can detect."

Seems to me that this is mostly a matter of just plain old pridefulness, mixed in with a generous dollop of utter cluelessness about how other people think about and deal with difficult topics.

Being smarter than most may seem an exercise in pride – until one encounters someone much smarter than themselves.  That is unless one starts to believe themselves smarter than G-d or others that, in reality, are smarter.  I kind of see myself in the middle of the smart and dumb universe.  Anyone smarter than me is obviously smart – anyone that is not as smart as me is obviously dumb.

I have never encountered someone that does not appreciate me acknowledging they are smarter than me and at the same time – I have never encountered anyone that appreciates me proving to them that they are not as smart as me.  And to be honest – I more enjoy being around those smarter than me – not so much those that are not as smart as me and are unwilling to admit it.

The Traveler

Guest MormonGator
17 minutes ago, Traveler said:

Being smarter than most may seem an exercise in pride – until one encounters someone much smarter than themselves.  That is unless one starts to believe themselves smarter than G-d or others that, in reality, are smarter.  I kind of see myself in the middle of the smart and dumb universe.  Anyone smarter than me is obviously smart – anyone that is not as smart as me is obviously dumb.

I have never encountered someone that does not appreciate me acknowledging they are smarter than me and at the same time – I have never encountered anyone that appreciates me proving to them that they are not as smart as me.  And to be honest – I more enjoy being around those smarter than me – not so much those that are not as smart as me and are unwilling to admit it.

The Traveler

"Being in power is like being a lady. If you have to say you are, you are not."-Margaret Thatcher

It's important to remember that if you (generic usage) really were smarter than all of us, you wouldn't feel the need to tell us. You'd simply know. Michael Jordan doesn't knock my door and tell me he's a better basketball player than I am. 

it's the same thing with being a "good person". Well, a really good person would acknowledge their own weaknesses and flaws, and they wouldn't tell us how angelic they are either. 

It's the same with being tolerant. If you call yourself tolerant, you aren't. Notice a pattern? 

Edited by MormonGator

5 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

It's important to remember that if you (generic usage) really were smarter than all of us, you wouldn't feel the need to tell us. You'd simply know. Michael Jordan doesn't knock my door and tell me he's a better basketball player than I am. 

it's the same thing with being a "good person". Well, a really good person would acknowledge their own weaknesses and flaws, and they wouldn't tell us how angelic they are either. 

On a particular show, Gregory Hines played a guy who had to get insulted by someone else who was jealous of him.  Hines' character consistently beat him in contest after contest.  The thing is that Hines never knew they were competing.  He was just doing his thing.

Finally, Jack (the other guy) calmed down enough to talk with him.  He apologized for his feelings.  Then he said,"besides, there's one thing I know I'm better at than you... tap dancing..."  Yes, really.  He said he was better at tap dancing than Gregory Hines (as a character).

So Jack danced and Hines applauded him and said,"Yup.  You really are good!  Man, I wish I could dance like that.  Oh, no!  I can't compete with that."

Jack thanked him for the compliment and left.

Then the lady standing there looked at Hines and said,"What, are you kidding me?"

Hines proceeded to dance for the audience with his usual genius.  It made the episode worth watching.

Guest MormonGator
3 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

On a particular show, Gregory Hines played a guy who had to get insulted by someone else who was jealous of him.  Hines' character consistently beat him in contest after contest.  The thing is that Hines never knew they were competing.  He was just doing his thing.

Finally, Jack (the other guy) calmed down enough to talk with him.  He apologized for his feelings.  Then he said,"besides, there's one thing I know I'm better at than you... tap dancing..."  Yes, really.  He said he was better at tap dancing than Gregory Hines (as a character).

So Jack danced and Hines applauded him and said,"Yup.  You really are good!  Man, I wish I could dance like that.  Oh, no!  I can't compete with that."

Jack thanked him for the compliment and left.

Then the lady standing there looked at Hines and said,"What, are you kidding me?"

Hines proceeded to dance for the audience with his usual genius.  It made the episode worth watching.

Love that story. I actually like watching people tap dance, it's so much fun. 

My favorite story about being secure with yourself: 

Ronald Reagan was pumping gasoline and someone said "Robert Taylor pumps his own gasoline!?! Wow! May I have your autograph!?" Ronald Reagan signed it "Robert Taylor." Michael Deaver (an aide to Reagan, it's in his book "A Different Drummer") said "Governor, you were a movie star and you are now governor of California! How come you didn't tell him that?" His response, "Mike, I know who I am." 

I miss RR.