Blessings of Being LDS

My daughter came to me last night and said very flatly,"I'm going to die." 

Carb:"That's true."

Princess:"I believe it may be much sooner than would normally be expected of someone my age."

C: Why's that, my scholar princess?

P: Because I agreed to give a talk in Sacrament meeting this weekend.  And I think I'm going to die right in the middle of it. (she's very afraid of public speaking).

C: What better way to go than right in the middle of the Lord's errand?

P:  But what if I die just before I get up there?  Then I won't have completed my mission.

C: Well, if you die on your way up, then not only do you get to avoid the stress of giving the talk, but you also get exalted for dying while on the Lord's errand.  You get the best of both worlds.  Literally, both worlds.

P: But you'll be gone this weekend and I could die without you being there.

C: OK, so postpone the dying part until after we get back.  Just fall into a coma.  They'll rush you to the hospital.  When we finally get there, then you can pass on.  Sound good?

Ladybug: No, you can't die.  That would leave me all alone with five annoying brothers.

(shrugs)

P: OK.  So, can you help me with my talk?

C: Oh, why didn't you say so?  What's the topic?

P: The blessings of membership in God's Kingdom.

Anyway, I was wondering what you thought of the blessings of being LDS.

Her immediate response was that we have the answers to Where did we come from? Why are we here?  and Where are we going?  I thought about that a lot and realized that I'm not so concerned about where we came from or where we're going.  But for me knowing what the purpose of life (big picture) and the part we all play in it (little picture) is very important to me.

Edited by Guest

58 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Her immediate response was that we have the answers to Where did we come from? Why are we here?  and Where are we going?  I thought about that a lot and realized that I'm not so concerned about where we came from or where we're going.  But for me knowing what the purpose of life (big picture) and the part we all play in it (little picture) is very important to me.

Considering that all of tge people who have peopled this earth came here with the intention of becoming exalted beings in Gods kingdom I cant help but to think a lot of this life isnt so much about feeling lucky to be part of the less than 1% who got lucky to be in this path but rather where we all, as a group are going. I think its like that parable of the laborers in the vineyard, we are indeed some of the first laborers but in the end we all receive the same reward for accepting Christ. Most of this work wont happen until the millennium. The greatest blessing for me being LDS is the increased chances to serve others.

We discussed this question in Sunday School last week. Most of the responses centred around the Plan of Salvation, and the three questions to where did we come from, why are we here, and where are we going. Other responses were temple. forever families, priesthood, sense of belonging and community, a fixed set of values in a rapidly changing world, prayer, peace, hope and reassurance.  

Guest MormonGator
7 minutes ago, Rob Osborn said:

I fear that we often times feel like the elite few who are above others and will inherit a greater glory for being such.

I understand what you are saying but many LDS I've met are actually incredibly hard on themselves and don't think that way at all. Sure, there are some arrogant jerks who try to be more LDS than the prophet, but they are few and far between.  

6 hours ago, Carborendum said:

Yes, knowing that and knowing what to do with that knowledge, sooner than later, is a tremendous blessing and privilege.

7 hours ago, Rob Osborn said:

I fear that we often times feel like the elite few who are above others and will inherit a greater glory for being such.

"mine elect hear my voice and harden not their hearts;" -D+C 29:7

"the Lord had shown unto me, Abraham, the intelligences that were organized before the world was; and among all these there were many of the noble and great ones; And God saw these souls that they were good, and he stood in the midst of them, and he said: These I will make my rulers;" - Abraham 3:22-23

"But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people;" - 1 Peter 2:9

...We kinda are...

... In as humble of a way as possible...

7 hours ago, MormonGator said:

I understand what you are saying but many LDS I've met are actually incredibly hard on themselves and don't think that way at all. Sure, there are some arrogant jerks who try to be more LDS than the prophet, but they are few and far between.  

I like how you see the best in others. (just an observation).

25 minutes ago, Fether said:

"mine elect hear my voice and harden not their hearts;" -D+C 29:7

Often times, those elect don't know they are elect and are not known as such. Consider the 7000 reserved who would not bend the knee to Baal. They were not known nor, do I think that they knew themselves to be elect. All they saw was that they would not bend the knee to Baal. Of these, I wonder how many suffered in life, barely able to sustain themselves, much less their family? Of these, how many were burdened with sin and cried day and night to be relieved of the monkey on their back? We only know of one. The other 7000 we do not know. Not their names, their station, their gender or their age and yet. These are the elect that early church compared themselves too.

It's shaped me to have a truly eternal perspective on things. I don't get as annoyed by little things as my non LDS counterparts do. The Lord forgives, and I can, too. Also, it helps me plan for the worst and helps me hope for the best in this life. Most importantly, it's introduced me to some of the best friends I could have. Cheesy, but true.