Houses. The best kind.

Backroads

39 minutes ago, Backroads said:

By this I mean type or style and such.

I have a huge love affair for 1940-1950s bungalows. They're just so cute.

Love boxlike modern townhouses and condos with big windows. Very easy to decorate and keep clean. Modern townhouses like mine in developments where you cannot put up a fence means that you have a backyard like south fork -huge. Attracts lots of ducks and geese. 

Edited by Sunday21

I like open floor plans, but, then again I hate them. How can you hide your dirty dishes in the sink with the open floor plan?

i love watching HGTV shows like Fixer Upper, Property Brothers, House Hunters, etc.  I could be happy in a variety of different styles.  I would love a house with tall ceilings.  My current house has 8 foot ceilings and I can't fit a Christmas tree any taller than 7 feet. This is so a First World problem, but, I still would someday like a tall Christmas tree that would fit in a room with vaulted ceilings. 

It is cute, pam, from what I've observed on Facebook.

My brother is considering moving. And he lives in a the quintessential 1950s bungalow on a dead-end street right by the mountains. And his wife is an interior decorator by trade and has really fixed the house up. Plus it is has one more bedroom than our current house. If he sells, I so want to buy it.

1 hour ago, Backroads said:

It is cute, pam, from what I've observed on Facebook.

Thanks.  It's nothing at all fancy but it's home.  And since I'm the only one that lives in it (well besides my dog) it's perfect for me. :)

3 hours ago, mordorbund said:

The smaller the better for me. My dream is to downsize to ~7ft x 3ft. I know a few people who have done it, so I'm certain it's achievable for me too.

My retirement plan is to take a cargo van, remove the stuff in the back, transform it into a small apartment, and travel all over North America.   With this setup, you can live like a king on $7000 a year!  Live on public land for free most of the time, and come into town a couple of times a month to restock on supplies.  (I AM still saving up for retirement like a normal person, since you never know if bad health will make this plan unworkable, but I hope I can just live on social security doing this and someday give my daughter a BIG inheritance!)

You should see some of the stuff people who do this come up with.  I have seen layouts of vans with full plumbing including shower facilities, full kitchen setups, large gaming setups, you name it.  

The reason I don't want to go the RV route is then you must find an RV park to place your RV which cuts into your disposable cash.  With a cargo van, you can "stealth park" in urban areas if you are tired of nature and want to hang out in the city for a change.

Edited by DoctorLemon

I actually love my apartment! It has a galley kitchen with a washer/dryer at one end that I adore, and I can walk laps around the accent wall in the living room. While I wish I felt a little freer to put nail holes in the wall or that I had a bigger bathtub, I definitely appreciate not having to worry about homeowner headaches.

Second is my grandparents house. Five bedroom prairie home with a porch and balcony that wrap around two sides.....heaven. Especially after they turned the pantry off the kitchen into a main floor bathroom.

20 hours ago, seashmore said:

Second is my grandparents house. Five bedroom prairie home with a porch and balcony that wrap around two sides.....heaven. Especially after they turned the pantry off the kitchen into a main floor bathroom.

That sounds dreamy.

My in-laws currently live in what I think was the original house on the ranch, over 150 years old. For years it was vacant and my husband and his siblings were raised in a prefab home (currently home to brother- and sister-in-law.) Then MiL got it into her head to fix up the old house.

4 hours ago, Backroads said:

That sounds dreamy.

My in-laws currently live in what I think was the original house on the ranch, over 150 years old. For years it was vacant and my husband and his siblings were raised in a prefab home (currently home to brother- and sister-in-law.) Then MiL got it into her head to fix up the old house.

I'm sure their house is over 125, at least. My dad says it still has the same doorknobs when they bought the house about 55 years ago. It's on about one acre with trees lining three edges (all but south). I am desperately hoping that it can somehow stay in the family; all of us have so many memories there.

12 hours ago, seashmore said:

I'm sure their house is over 125, at least. My dad says it still has the same doorknobs when they bought the house about 55 years ago. It's on about one acre with trees lining three edges (all but south). I am desperately hoping that it can somehow stay in the family; all of us have so many memories there.

I hope for you it stays in the family! What a great house!

On 7/3/2017 at 4:30 PM, DoctorLemon said:

My retirement plan is to take a cargo van, remove the stuff in the back, transform it into a small apartment, and travel all over North America.   With this setup, you can live like a king on $7000 a year!  Live on public land for free most of the time, and come into town a couple of times a month to restock on supplies.  (I AM still saving up for retirement like a normal person, since you never know if bad health will make this plan unworkable, but I hope I can just live on social security doing this and someday give my daughter a BIG inheritance!)

You should see some of the stuff people who do this come up with.  I have seen layouts of vans with full plumbing including shower facilities, full kitchen setups, large gaming setups, you name it.  

The reason I don't want to go the RV route is then you must find an RV park to place your RV which cuts into your disposable cash.  With a cargo van, you can "stealth park" in urban areas if you are tired of nature and want to hang out in the city for a change.

This is great. I always figured an RV wouldn't help much for living free (as in free as a bird), since you still have to park in an RV park. But in order to make a van livable, it needs a bathroom and a kitchen. Which means you still have to dump and refill water tanks occasionally. Are there places to do this besides RV parks?

1 hour ago, eddified said:

This is great. I always figured an RV wouldn't help much for living free (as in free as a bird), since you still have to park in an RV park. But in order to make a van livable, it needs a bathroom and a kitchen. Which means you still have to dump and refill water tanks occasionally. Are there places to do this besides RV parks?

There are numerous solutions to this problem, and with a little creativity, you should he able to find a solution that works for you and allows you to avoid an rv park.  Many people have written about their solutions online, and i have several books discussing solutions.

I would tend towards trying not to use traditional water tanks.  When camping in the middle of nowhere, you can just use an outdoor shower pump or even hang a bottle filled with water and attached to a nozzle from a tree (or the side of the van) and shower off right onto the ground (make sure no one is around before attempting!)  Other options include using a gym membership or a truck stop for shower facilities (great for urban camping), low water "pour-over" baths, sponge baths combined with biweekly stays at a campground with shower facilities, or using a very small wastewater tank and dumping regularly and discretely into public toilets or outhouses or similar facilities.  Do some online research, or use some creativity!  

Or you could just visit an RV park with nightly rates once or twice a week to use their facilities.  Your bill would still be less than a third of what regular rv folks pay.

Edited by DoctorLemon