looking for scripture reading app

I have a widget called "LDS Scripture A Day" that gives me a daily scripture from the Standard Works and links to it on lds.org.  It works great to make sure I read at least one a day, and also gives me starting point if I don't already have a course set.

4 hours ago, askandanswer said:

I'm looking for an app to do my scripture reading for me, does anyone have any suggestions?

Single-function apps are so last-decade.  What we need is "AutoMormon" - it'll carry on an AI texting session with your assigned HT/VT folk (and compose a report to text your supervisor); write talks, lessons, and newsletter articles for you (based on calendar appointments); read scriptures, GC talks, and the latest Ensign issue; compose prayers (based on those VT/HT texts, the talk/lesson/article due date, and its latest reading); and it could have a compassionate-service add-on that will order a meal from a random restaurant (from your list, of course) to be delivered to the specified member at the specified date/time - paid for with your credit card (but we can't really expect all that at no cost, now can we?).

I'm thinking we need to find us a developer.

1 minute ago, Sunday21 said:

@zilI would like this 1,000 times if I could. Could we have a work-for-a-living app? Any time soon?

I would totally give up my AutoMormon app in exchange for a Work-For-A-Living app - as long as it made a decent living.... ;)

In the meantime, we could add a "tithes & offerings" add-on to AutoMormon - it'll need access to your various financial records to know how much tithing, fast-offering, etc. to give. :)

15 minutes ago, zil said:

In the meantime, we could add a "tithes & offerings" add-on to AutoMormon - it'll need access to your various financial records to know how much tithing, fast-offering, etc. to give.

That would be amazing! However, I personally would want it to allow manual designation for how it should calculate the tithing, because otherwise all users would pay tithing based on the app creators interpretation of how a full tithe is calculated.  (Not trying to start a whole discussion but in other threads it has been made clear that different people pay tithing in different ways)

19 minutes ago, person0 said:

That would be amazing! However, I personally would want it to allow manual designation for how it should calculate the tithing, because otherwise all users would pay tithing based on the app creators interpretation of how a full tithe is calculated.  (Not trying to start a whole discussion but in other threads it has been made clear that different people pay tithing in different ways)

First of all, I don't think you've caught on to the spirit of the Auto portion of AutoMormon.

Second of all, OK, we guess could add this to the user requirements:

Tithing-Attitude

• Full, Gross
  • Full, Net
  • Partial, Gross (will need field to specify how partial)
  • Partial, Net (will need field to specify how partial)
  • Enough to not look suspicious (will need field to specify how un-suspicious)
  • Random amounts (not to exceed X$) at random intervals (not to exceed [frequency here])
  • None

Of course, you could just not allow it access to all your records...  And if you use both AutoMormon and Work-For-A-Living, but don't tell AutoMormon about it, you could claim to be unemployed (after all, it's really the app that's employed, not you - you'd be a kept man, so to speak)...

Edited by zil

@zil would totally give up my AutoMormon app in exchange for a Work-For-A-Living app - as long as it made a decent living.... ;)

As discussed in the thread 'Guaranteed Income', we are about to try this app here in Ontario! I will enroll you in the first trial! Can I come and study you?

BIG THUNK! 

Here is the first questionnaire! Fill this out while we drag in the next batch of questionnaires. THUNK, THUNK...

2 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

@zil would totally give up my AutoMormon app in exchange for a Work-For-A-Living app - as long as it made a decent living.... ;)

As discussed in the thread 'Guaranteed Income', we are about to try this app here in Ontario! I will enroll you in the first trial! Can I come and study you?

BIG THUNK! 

Here is the first questionnaire! Fill this out while we drag in the next batch of questionnaires. THUNK, THUNK...

And where will my guaranteed income come from when you all run out of other people's money?  (I don't just want Work-For-A-Living - I want assurances it will keep working until I'm in the ground.)

1 hour ago, person0 said:

1 hour ago, zil said:

First of all, I don't think you've caught on to the spirit of the Auto portion of AutoMormon.

Yeah.  I mean, there is the letter of the app and the spirit of the app...

Edited by Guest

5 hours ago, zil said:

Single-function apps are so last-decade.  What we need is "AutoMormon" - it'll carry on an AI texting session with your assigned HT/VT folk (and compose a report to text your supervisor); write talks, lessons, and newsletter articles for you (based on calendar appointments); read scriptures, GC talks, and the latest Ensign issue; compose prayers (based on those VT/HT texts, the talk/lesson/article due date, and its latest reading); and it could have a compassionate-service add-on that will order a meal from a random restaurant (from your list, of course) to be delivered to the specified member at the specified date/time - paid for with your credit card (but we can't really expect all that at no cost, now can we?).

I think I know a few automormons, (or maybe they've had the app implanted?) but unfortunately, they don't do even half of these functions

10 hours ago, zil said:

I think this is something on which we are in complete agreement. Congratulations on finally, belatedly reaching the obvious conclusion that all who know you probably realised very quickly, years ago. While I'm reluctant to discuss all of your development needs in a public forum let me suggest that perhaps the first three items on what would surely be a very long list of your developmental needs should be 1) social skills 2) penmanship and 3) the ability to write an interesting and thought provoking post

Ps. I say this as a caring friend who would love to see you develop your full potential :)

Edited by askandanswer