Race, Culture, and Perception

You know where the world would be without the Irish?

You wouldn't have U2.

What would rock music be like without U2?

Boring, that is what it would be like.  Boring.

Guest MormonGator
2 minutes ago, DoctorLemon said:

You know where the world would be without the Irish?

You wouldn't have U2.

That's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. 

:P

38 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Differences in cuisine, conflict-resolution, etc. etc. are all differences along ethnic divides.  I posit that these differences are passed down through centuries of genetic "engineering" adopted by a millenia of shared experiences in the same manner as their "look". 

I think I disagree. I disbelieve that cuisine is passed down through genetics at all. 

Guest MormonGator
Just now, DoctorLemon said:

I hereby call you all of the insults found in Matthew 5:22.

In the middle of a concert once, Bono stopped singing and started clapping his hands very slowly. He said "Every time I clap my hands, a child dies of hunger." In a moment of wonderful British wit, someone in the front row yelled out, "Then stop bloody clapping man!" 

56 minutes ago, Mike said:

I think I disagree. I disbelieve that cuisine is passed down through genetics at all. 

This is a misunderstanding of my statement.  Cuisine has nothing to do with genetics.  Taste preferences, though, is another matter.  And that can manifest itself through the prevalent cuisine of the ethnicity.

Edited by anatess2

1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

I have to agree with Sunday21.  It wasn't becaue of pro-business or pro-free-market innovations.  It was because they were IRISH, laddie!

After saving this young lady from choking (her tongue was deeply imbedded in her cheek), we had a meal of kimchee and sashimi, and discussed the racial contributions to ethnic cuisines.  :joker:

2 minutes ago, prisonchaplain said:

After saving this young lady from choking (her tongue was deeply imbedded in her cheek), we had a meal of kimchee and sashimi, and discussed the racial contributions to ethnic cuisines.  :joker:

Notice that you didn't choke on the kim chee or sashimi.  :P

22 hours ago, Carborendum said:

But are there not differences between races?  Obviously, there are physical differences.  Are there other ones too?  Today's culture gives us a knee-jerk reaction "NO!"  Yester-year's culture says,"Of Course."  

The quandary for "today's culture" is to deny racial differences on the one hand while advocating for diversity on the other. 

The quandary seems to be resolved by caring less about clear contradictions.

After all, the point isn't to make sense, but to hold fast to the politically correct position.

Thanks, -Wade Englund

31 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Notice that you didn't choke on the kim chee or sashimi.  :P

In the heavenly realms there will be all kinds of wonderful international cuisine. Rumor has it that in the outer darkness, and the lowest levels of the Telestial Kingdom, it will be strictly European McDonalds, with requests for ketchup and pickles being granted only as the temperature is turned up a few degrees.  :smokindevil:

Just now, prisonchaplain said:

In the heavenly realms there will be all kinds of wonderful international cuisine. Rumor has it that in the outer darkness, and the lowest levels of the Telestial Kingdom, it will be strictly European McDonalds, with requests for ketchup and pickles being granted only as the temperature is turned up a few degrees.  :smokindevil:

Gosh!  That rings so true, I almost want to leave the LDS faith and become Pentecostal.:coolrockon:

Sorry didn't read all the comments so far, but I think there is something to most of the professional athletes in America being black. This isn't a statement of fact, just something I've noticed. I could be wrong. Could being black be linked to athletic ability? The original post asked about anything, so I'm bringing up the facet of athletic ability. 

Edit: disclaimer, I'm as white as any white person you might see in Utah (which is known for having a large percentage of white people). 

Edited by eddified

1 minute ago, prisonchaplain said:

Why not, @Carborendum? 80% of Korean Presbyterians are Spirit-filled. If you just can't leave, though, you could always start a Charismatic Renewal with LDS spirituality.  It would be kinda of like mixing a Gospel Principals class with a YSA dance.  :bouncingclap:

Well, I already have the gift of tongues.  So, maybe I'd fit right in.  It would, of course, be dependent upon the frequency of kim chee availability at social functions. :D

52 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

This is a misunderstanding of my statement.  Cuisine has nothing to do with genetics.  Taste preferences, though, is another matter.  And that can manifest itself through the prevalent cuisine of the ethnicity.

Well, yeah, but I hope you can easily see how I would misunderstand. 

Differences in cuisine, conflict-resolution, etc. etc. are all differences along ethnic divides.  I posit that these differences are passed down through centuries of genetic "engineering" adopted by a millenia of shared experiences in the same manner as their "look". 

And of course that's the reason I communicated with you, i.e. to clear up misunderstanding. So, I'm pleased to know we agree that cuisine has nothing to do with genetics. (It will help as we go forward) :)

16 hours ago, person0 said:

With all the love that Muslims get from liberals these days, Arabs are still classified as 'Caucasian'.  I want my social justice reward for being half Arab! ...

Let's see if I can inquire without offending. I have long been of the opinion that "Muslims" and "Arabs" are not race categorizations at all. If we were compelled, what would we say *are* the race categories of humans on Earth? I ask this question because I suspect that after naming them we would be unable to place "Muslims", and "Arabs" in only one of the categories--and I think this is quite salient. What's your opinion?

Edited by Mike

15 minutes ago, Mike said:

Well, yeah, but I hope you can easily see how I would misunderstand. 

And of course that's the reason I communicated with you, i.e. to clear up misunderstanding. So, I'm pleased to know we agree that cuisine has nothing to do with genetics. (It will help as we go forward) :)

Cuisine is not a genetic trait.  Taste preference may be.  Taste preference drives cuisine.  I said "cuisine has nothing to do with genetics" - which may be another confusing statement, so I apologize for that.  I meant to say "cuisine is not a genetic trait".  Because, I wouldn't say that cuisine has "nothing to do" with genetics as in they're not related - because, as I stated, taste preference (that may be genetic) - develops cuisine.  Makes sense?

Edited by anatess2

1 minute ago, Mike said:

Let's see if I can inquire without offending. I have long been of the opinion that "Muslims" and "Arabs" are not race categorizations at all. If we were compelled, what would we say *are* the race categories of humans on Earth? I ask this question because I suspect that after naming them we would be unable to place "Muslims" and Arabs" in only one of the categories--and I think this is quite salient. What's your opinion?

I think there are only four: caucasian, black African, Mongoloid, and Australian Aborigine.

Everyone else is a mix of these four types.

10 minutes ago, Mike said:

Let's see if I can inquire without offending. I have long been of the opinion that "Muslims" and "Arabs" are not race categorizations at all. If we were compelled, what would we say *are* the race categories of humans on Earth? I ask this question because I suspect that after naming them we would be unable to place "Muslims" and Arabs" in only one of the categories--and I think this is quite salient. What's your opinion?

Muslim is a religious categorization.  Arab is an ethnicity.  There are only 4 main race descriptors of human beings - Caucasian, Negroid, Mongoloid, and Austronesian.  Some anthropologists would break it down to only 3 race descriptors - with Mongoloid and Austonesian grouped together into Mongoloid.

In the modern era, there are so many mixtures of these 4 races that a lot of people - like the Arabs, Native Americans, Hispanics, Polynesians (all these are ethnicities not races) - can't be categorized under one race.  And so, the forms you fill out at the public school or census, break the Race question down to Regional Ethnicities - like Pacific Islander or Native American or Hispanic.  This division has nothing to do with anthropology but simply a socio-political method of diversity metrics.

Edited by anatess2

There are only 4 main race descriptors of human beings - Caucasian, Negroid, Mongoloid, and Austronesian.  Some anthropologists would break it down to only 3 race descriptors - with Mongoloid and Austonesian grouped together into Mongoloid.

This is what I learned in school, and it illustrates the basis of my post to @person0:)

Edited by Mike

23 minutes ago, Mike said:

Sorry if my soap box rant was confusing!  Personally I accept three true race categorizations:  Caucasian, Negroid, and Mongoloid.  Islam is a religion and is not a race, nor an ethnicity, just as Christianity is neither a race nor ethnicity.  Being Arab is not a race, but is an ethnicity, and is generally mostly Caucasian.  The point of my post was not that I actually want a race classification, nor special treatment.  I was simply ranting about how stupid SJW and the race culture are, which are so prevalent in our society these days.  In the modern USA, Muslims are touted by the left as a mistreated minority group, yet they nor their most common ethnic group, Arabs, do not actually qualify as a minority.  I was making fun of the inconsistency, because regardless of the fact of my ethnic minority, I am not considerable as a minority candidate for jobs, etc.  The racist Affirmative Action laws are of no benefit to me, regardless of the current rhetoric about Muslims and Arabs.

3 hours ago, Carborendum said:

I have to agree with Sunday21.  It wasn't becaue of pro-business or pro-free-market innovations.  It was because they were IRISH, laddie!

Dear @Carborendum

An interesting comparison is West vs East Germany. Under communism East Germany was one of the most efficient states. So some support for the ethnic thing. Now they are one country and the East still lags so...comparing East and West suggests that education, ideology, infrastructure also important.

The Irish explosion is due, I think, in part to carefully constructed incentives. Good for them! In part, good education conducted in English. So really a mixture of things. I personally don't care if we use left or right ideology as long as the technique has worked somewhere for someone.

Cases in point, both left and right economists had done some really stupid things when called on to design economies. Right wing economists in Russia's big bang, IMF in Mexico. Left wing - the UK in the 70s and 80s. Extremes cause problems. Lots of dumb left wing ideas tried out in my country. Nationalizing Energy anyone? Bad idea.

Working out which of a number of variables is most important is very tricky. Normally researchers just say significant or insignificant. To know what is more important you need to do 'relative importance" analysis which I did for my PhD thesis. Not recommended. Seriously icky!

Edited by Sunday21

10 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

Dear @Carborendum

An interesting comparison is West vs East Germany. Under communism East Germany was one of the most efficient states. So some support for the ethnic thing. Now they are one country and the East still lags so...comparing East and West suggests that education, ideology, infrastructure also important.

The Irish explosion is due, I think, in part to carefully constructed incentives. Good for them! In part, good education conducted in English. So really a mixture of things. I personally don't care if we use left or right ideology as long as the technique has worked somewhere for someone.

Cases in point, both left and right economists had done some really stupid things when called on to design economies. Right wing economists in Russia's big bang, IMF in Mexico. Left wing - the UK in the 70s and 80s. Extremes cause problems. Lots of dumb left wing ideas tried out in my country. Nationalizing Energy anyone? Bad idea.

Working out which of a number of variables is most important is very tricky. Normally researchers just say significant or insignificant. To know what is more important you need to do 'relative importance" analysis which I did for my PhD thesis. Not recommended. Seriously icky!

When I read this through the first time, I was going to remind you that I was joking when I wrote that last post.

But when I read it again, I found this very informative.  Thank you!