Deeper understanding of "House of the Lord"

Fether

"Temples are literally houses of the Lord" 

- True to the Faith

I feel like there is greater meaning in this phrase than I currently give credit. 

Has anyone received insights on temples that have increased your view/understanding on. Particularly in the sense if them being houses of the lord.

Edited by Fether

I am not sure of the question.

Do you have a house.  The Lord has several houses on this Earth.

How do you want people to act in your house.  We should probably be just as polite and respectful of the Lord in his own House.

It is where his spirit resides.  He can literally come to his house on Earth (the Holy Temple) and be there.  We have several occasions where he or his angels have been in the Temple.

Once again, I'm not sure of the question.

7 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

I am not sure of the question.

Do you have a house.  The Lord has several houses on this Earth.

How do you want people to act in your house.  We should probably be just as polite and respectful of the Lord in his own House.

It is where his spirit resides.  He can literally come to his house on Earth (the Holy Temple) and be there.  We have several occasions where he or his angels have been in the Temple.

Once again, I'm not sure of the question.

I understand all that, Im just curious if there had been any quotes from prophets that expanded the meaning or gave a different perspective that anyone had come across

This last year during my visit to Israel I was impressed that all “things” both as recorded in that ancient church and in the restored Church of Christ prepare a person to receive “light” specifically at the temple.  I have heard many ask the question – “what does this have to do with my salvation?”  It seems to me that if we understand the doctrine, ordinances and even callings properly we will come to understand that all such things will bring us to worship and learn at the temple. 

Rather than concern ourselves with how things relate to our salvation we should rather seek understanding of how any truth relates to things we are taught at the temple.  I am also intrigued that what we learn at the temple should not be taught (at least in detail) in any other places.  Some unwittingly declare a particular scripture does not say or mean certain things.  This believe comes from their personal study of scripture but they do not take into account revelation given at the temple.   Note that Jesus taught at the temple in his youth and amazed the religious scholars of his day.  It is my belief that certain principles and the depth of divine principles can only be learned and taught at the temple.

If the temple is not a person’s main source of personal revelation – they have not progressed very far in understanding religious things.  I am convinced that even the most relevant discourses at our general conferences are just a precursor and preparation to what will be revealed at the temple.  Our work for the dead at the temples are “gateways” to light and knowledge that cannot be obtained by any other means.

The Traveler

Nothing from a general authority or anything, but whenever I was assigned as a front desk greeter at the temple, I felt like a maid in the Lord's house. Kind of like the characters who clear the plates and sweep the floors in period pieces.

Also, there's that story about one of the latter-day prophets (I forget which) walking through a hall in the Salt Lake temple with one of his granddaughters and points out to her a place where he had seen Christ in the temple.

Edited by seashmore

6 hours ago, seashmore said:

Nothing from a general authority or anything, but whenever I was assigned as a front desk greeter at the temple, I felt like a maid in the Lord's house. Kind of like the characters who clear the plates and sweep the floors in period pieces.

Also, there's that story about one of the latter-day prophets (I forget which) walking through a hall in the Salt Lake temple with one of his granddaughters and points out to her a place where he had seen Christ in the temple.

https://www.lds.org/friend/2014/12/a-visit-from-the-savior?lang=eng

Lorenzo Snow see above. Love working as a greeter! Also feel like the maid! But in a good way.

On September 4, 2017 at 6:29 PM, Sunday21 said:

https://www.lds.org/friend/2014/12/a-visit-from-the-savior?lang=eng

Lorenzo Snow see above. Love working as a greeter! Also feel like the maid! But in a good way.

Right, like how staff is part of family in all sorts of literature. Haha...especially in winter when I'd show them to the coat room or ushering in youth groups for baptisms.

• 2 weeks later...

@Fether, I found this in an old Ensign article. Maybe something to chew on:

The Hebrew family was also known as a house. The founding of a family was to build a house. The use of the term house was very flexible and could include the entire nation (the house of Jacob or the house of Israel) or a segment of the people (the house of Judah or the house of Joseph).

https://www.lds.org/ensign/1972/05/hebrew-manners-and-customs?lang=eng