58 minutes ago, Jimmy Tucker said:

Understood... Every other religion would answer the same way though.. 

You say "though" as if I would disagree.  I don't.  That is why I mentioned the part about hearing His voice.  

Remember that the initial question in this thread is about what is choice? 

Consider Charles Manson, do you honestly believe he'd ever accept a message from the Holy Ghost?  No.  He's following a different voice.  Why?  Because that is who he is. That's who he was before the world was.  And he was never going to listen to the voice of the Spirit.  So, because of who we are, we will make certain choices.

If we're (any of us in any religion) wrong, we're following the voice of who we really are.  If we're right, we're following the voice of who we really are.  And we will receive a reward based on that.  It isn't about a checklist of do's and don'ts or about following a certain procedure.  It is about being.  It is about becoming.

So, the Lord has put each of us in a situation where we have the greatest opportunities for growth.  As we choose the right path, we will grow to become that person who will with certainty hear His voice.  Sometimes, this means following a "preparatory path" for a while before accepting the "correct path".  Unfortunately, some people get stuck in the preparatory path and never move on.  I could tell you a great metaphor for this if you're interested.

Edited by Guest

@Jimmy Tucker,

Read up Sgt Alvin York.  

Here is an excerpt from Wikipedia. But there is a LOT more about his story that you may find helpful.

York was drafted during World War I; he initially claimed conscientious objector status on the grounds that his denomination forbade violence. Persuaded that his religion was not incompatible with military service, York joined the 82nd Division as an infantry private, and went to France in 1918. In October 1918, as a newly promoted corporal, York was one of a group of 17 soldiers assigned to infiltrate German lines and silence a machine gun position. After the American patrol had captured a large group of enemy soldiers, German small arms fire killed six Americans and wounded three. York was the highest ranking of those still able to fight, so he took charge. While his men guarded the prisoners, York attacked the machine gun position, dispatching several German soldiers with his rifle. By the time six Germans charged him with bayonets he was out of rifle ammunition, so he drew his pistol and shot them all. The German officer responsible for the machine gun position had emptied his pistol while firing at York, but failed to hit him. This officer then offered to surrender, and York accepted. York and his men marched back to their unit's command post with more than 130 prisoners. York was immediately promoted to sergeant, and was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross; a later investigation led to this award being upgraded to the Medal of Honor. York became a national hero and international celebrity; he went on to receive decorations from several foreign countries, including France, Italy, and Montenegro.

EDIT: This should be in the other thread where the conscientious objector subject was being discussed.

Edited by Guest

20 hours ago, Grunt said:

Would they, though?  I've attended many churches in my life.  I've never been told to receive my answer from God.  I've been given the answer by the pastor, normally.

I grew up in the Roman Catholic Church and I have been told to pray to God but when it comes to studying scripture or sacred traditions, the magisterium is the source of all God's revelations on the matter and therefore, seeking my own answers to scriptural questions leads to apostasy.

Edited by anatess2

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 1:08 PM, Grunt said:

Would they, though?  I've attended many churches in my life.  I've never been told to receive my answer from God.  I've been given the answer by the pastor, normally.

It depends on the church and the religion.  I think another religion that tells people that they can receive answers (though it's more of feeling it in your heart, or through the Holy Spirit) are the Baptists.  IN fact, in order to be saved, you have to feel it in your heart.  You not only confess to the Lord, but then you have that mighty change of heart within you, and it is by having this that one can know that they have indeed been saved.

Prison Chaplain could answer more for his religion, but I think Pentecostals ALSO have a heavy reliance on feeling the spirit and such.

Other protestant religions, from what I understand, do not have such a heavy reliance upon the spirit giving answers, and some are actively opposed to individuals getting their own answers as opposed to the answers their specific religions church gives.

On 2/14/2018 at 2:08 PM, Grunt said:

Yes and no.  When they talk about learning the truth, they start with the notions that 1) the Bible is correct and true and 2) the interpretation of their pastor is accurate.  The pastor thing is really their own interpretation since people tend to find a church who preaches what they themselves already believe -- or they go with the faith they grew up in.

But when discussing it with a Mormon, they will always say,"Well, of course. I already know from God that my way is the right way."  Whether that is sincere or they simply want to win a debate depends on the individual.

However, I do recall someone who was on this board about a year ago who asked about knowing the truth of the BoM and we told him to pray about it.  He admitted that he had no idea why he believed the Bible to be correct.  He had based his entire belief system on the Bible being correct.  But he had never actually questioned the Bible.  I wonder what happened to him.