Ministering Assignments

zil

50 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

It'll work better if people think you have a genuine interest in them.

If you keep it , "Hi my name is Brother @Anddenex and I'm your minister. I'll be here for three months than I'll move on to someone else." I'd slam the door in your face. 

But this isn’t a failure in the system nor in the assigned minister, this is a failure in the receiver of the minister, particularly if the receiver is an active member of the church. That person doesn’t understand the authority and stewardship the assigned minister has for them. 

Back in the day when we did home teaching, I somewhat guilted my home teacher into coming to my home. So he did, and I knew he didn’t really love being their, but there were multiple times where he was a great blessing to me and my family.

So if the ministering member that is assigned to you isn’t the best and seems only worried about the assignment, then who cares? It doesn’t change their authority, stewardship and ability to bless you and your family.

Now this changes a bit when we are talking about inactive members. Most of the time (but definitely not always)there  needs to be genuine interest. Otherwise it will fail. But again, that isn’t a failure of the system, but a failure of those doing the application.

48 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

It'll work better if people think you have a genuine interest in them.

If you keep it , "Hi my name is Brother @Anddenex and I'm your minister. I'll be here for three months than I'll move on to someone else." I'd slam the door in your face. 

Genuine care, interest, and love is the engine for Ministering. If people are truly becoming Ministers we will have more members praying for the gift of Charity than during Home Teaching.

The ward I currently live in is a transitory ward. We have people moving in and moving out constantly, and some are in our ward for only three months (summer months). So, as to my ward dynamics, I would be fine with having a new minister for three months, and hopefully they are genuine.

But I guess I am pretty lucky though according to @zil, because if I approached you like you share 6 months ago it appears not only would you have slammed the door, you would have opened it back up just to throw me in your gator moat, and then walk back slamming the door. :)

24 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Then be robotic, go through the motions, make no effort to get to know them at all. Treat them strictly as numbers and just go out, do your job, and ignore them for the remaining 167 hours in the week. In fact, if they text you for anything, ignore them. You might want to kick their puppies while you visit them too. Or their toddlers.

If you do that you are a total failure as Home Teacher/Minister... Full Stop.

Yes people did that and yes they were failures..  And yes if your current Minister does that then, sure call them to repentance.... But give them the chance first.  Don't assume because your prior Minister failed that this new person who is reaching out to you will.  Otherwise you are just as much to blame for the current failure.

And lets face it.. if you have gotten to know your minister well enough to know that they want to kick your puppies and toddlers, will not return text messages, and don't care and are just going through the motions....  If you know that.... and are not just assuming it because it fits your narrative then I'd say you have gotten to know them pretty well and have done your part

Edited by estradling75

Guest MormonGator
5 minutes ago, Fether said:

But this isn’t a failure in the system nor in the assigned minister, this is a failure in the receiver of the minister, particularly if the receiver is an active member of the church. That person doesn’t understand the authority and stewardship the assigned minister has for them. 

Back in the day when we did home teaching, I somewhat guilted my home teacher into coming to my home. So he did, and I knew he didn’t really love being their, but there were multiple times where he was a great blessing to me and my family.

So if the ministering member that is assigned to you isn’t the best and seems only worried about the assignment, then who cares? It doesn’t change their authority, stewardship and ability to bless you and your family.

Now this changes a bit when we are talking about inactive members. Most of the time (but definitely not always)there  needs to be genuine interest. Otherwise it will fail. But again, that isn’t a failure of the system, but a failure of those doing the application.

5 minutes ago, Anddenex said:

Genuine care, interest, and love is the engine for Ministering. If people are truly becoming Ministers we will have more members praying for the gift of Charity than during Home Teaching.

The ward I currently live in is a transitory ward. We have people moving in and moving out constantly, and some are in our ward for only three months (summer months). So, as to my ward dynamics, I would be fine with having a new minister for three months, and hopefully they are genuine.

But I guess I am pretty lucky though according to @zil, because if I approached you like you share 6 months ago it appears not only would you have slammed the door, you would have opened it back up just to throw me in your gator moat, and then walk back slamming the door. :)

Okay everyone, chill.

I didn't say that ministering would fail  and you'd be a horrible LDS and you'd be kicked out of the church and excommunicated and that you need to donate your childrens kidneys to every one of your families. What I said, and what I stand by is-try to form a relationship with the people who you minister to. That's it.  Don't just go though the motions. There. Nothing more. 

5 minutes ago, Anddenex said:

though according to @zil, 

You should ask @zil about my attack dog, Jaina. 

(No seriously, ask her about my dog) 

2 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Okay everyone, chill.

I didn't say that ministering would fail  and you'd be a horrible LDS and you'd be kicked out of the church and excommunicated and that you need to donate your childrens kidneys to every one of your families. What I said, and what I stand by is-try to form a relationship with the people who you minister to. That's it.  Don't just go though the motions. There. Nothing more. 

You should ask @zil about my attack dog, Jaina. 

(No seriously, ask her about my dog)

My apologies @MormonGator, my comment was was agreeing with your first statement of genuine concern, and how if people are moving forward with it people will be praying for Charity more than ever before. I was perfectly chill.

The second paragraph was explaining the dynamics of my ward.

@zil said Jaina was as sweet cake ;)

Guest MormonGator
Just now, Anddenex said:

My apologies @MormonGator,

No need to apologize my friend. We're cool. I apologize as well if I misread anything. 

1 minute ago, Anddenex said:

@zil said Jaina was as sweet cake ;)

Thanks @zil, she's my baby. 

Guest MormonGator
Just now, zil said:

Jaina is such a cutie that if Gator keeps posting photos of her on facebook, I'm gonna have to steal her for myself! :)

@LadyGator would meet you at the front door with a shotgun if you touched Jania! Sister wives is one thing, but no one messes with Mommies special girl. 😉

I am sad. I received my ministering list. I called and really made a connection with a less active sister. She does not attend. Two weeks, TWO weeks later. I get a new list and now this sister is gone, Sigh. Maybe, the sister decided that she does not want to be visited? 

53 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

And my side was just “ if a relationship doesn’t form, don’t kick your ministering brother or sister out”. A bad ministering member is better than no ministering member. 

10 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

I am sad. I received my ministering list. I called and really made a connection with a less active sister. She does not attend. Two weeks, TWO weeks later. I get a new list and now this sister is gone, Sigh. Maybe, the sister decided that she does not want to be visited? 

No reason you can't keep trying without the assignment.  Also no reason you can't ask why she was removed from your list (and if it wasn't her request, then keep trying without the assignment; or ask for her back).

On 7/8/2018 at 6:07 PM, MormonGator said:

If you keep it, "Hi my name is Brother @Anddenex and I'm your minister. I'll be here for three months than I'll move on to someone else." I'd slam the door in your face.

I'd be unhappy about that myself. Making up the guest bed, buying and preparing food for an additional person, re-figuring the shower schedule... that is all really inconvenient.

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, SilentOne said:

I'd be unhappy about that myself. Making up the guest bed, buying and preparing food for an additional person, re-figuring the shower schedule... that is all really inconvenient.

So that's why you never returned my follow up calls, huh? Jerk. 

• 2 weeks later...

You know...there is something in this ‘ministering’ thing. I just taught a Relief Society lesson on Ministering and..all the sisters were very keen about ministering. Previously, I thought that the change from the close monitoring of visiting teaching would be the end of visiting but no!