Transgender on the prayer roll

seashmore

Which name to use?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Which name should be used when adding transgender people to the temple prayer roll?

• Given name
    • Preferred name

If there is a transgender person in our circle of life who is sick or otherwise afflicted (cancer, alcoholism, death of immediate family member, etc.) and we would like to add their name to the prayer roll in the temple, should we put their given name or the name they prefer to use? 

I probably won't participate in any discussion on transgender issues because I have more questions than answers to share. In fact, even this question raises more for me, but searching for those answers is like trying to cross the river before I cross the street. (ref: Frogger by Atari)

Heh.  I doubt there's any settled policy on the matter.  

I consider Mr Fredbert Finklestein.  He's spent his entire life saying "call me Fred".  All his credit cards say Fred, so do all his utility bills.  Most of his friends don't even know his given name is Fredbert.  Do I think there's anything wrong with submitting "Fred Finklestein" on the prayer roll?  Can't say I do.

I consider fifteen year old David.  He's going through a phase, and this week he wants to be called "moonbeam".  Next week, it'll be a hairstyle or something.  What name do I submit?  Probably David.

Were I in that situation, I guess I'd figure out which name is a more true expression of my love for the person.

Edited by NeuroTypical

All our ordinances are done using a person's full, legal name (or, the one on the records of the Church).

On the other hand, the Lord knows full well who was in your brain when you wrote the name.

I might do something like:

"John Q. Public (who prefers to be called "Mary Jane Doe")"

An old elementary school friend of my wife’s, having gone through a very traumatic childhood, decided as an adult to change her name.  We call her by her new name, out of personal courtesy to her.

Gender issues aside, calling people by the proper name (as opposed to gender pronoun) they want to be called, just seems like part of being a reasonably empathetic human being.  

Edited by Just_A_Guy

On 8/30/2018 at 10:12 AM, seashmore said:

If there is a transgender person in our circle of life who is sick or otherwise afflicted (cancer, alcoholism, death of immediate family member, etc.) and we would like to add their name to the prayer roll in the temple, should we put their given name or the name they prefer to use? 

I probably won't participate in any discussion on transgender issues because I have more questions than answers to share. In fact, even this question raises more for me, but searching for those answers is like trying to cross the river before I cross the street. (ref: Frogger by Atari)

I honestly don't think it matters.  Will your friend know which name you put down?  No.  Will the Lord know who you put on the prayer rolls?  Absolutely.