Giving Thanks 2018

I'd like to take time to give special thanks.  I'd like to encourage all of you to do the same.

We pray every day to give thanks for the blessings of the day.  We pray over our meals to give thanks for our food.  But what is something special in your life that we do NOT give thanks for on a regular basis?  This could be another long term thing, or something that recently popped up.

So, instead of giving thanks for The Savior, the Gospel, our family, and other things we should be giving thanks for every day, I'd encourage everyone to think of something special in their lives that is probably not a widespread blessing, that we may not give thanks for every day.

• I give thanks for exceptional health.  Yes, we regularly give thanks for health.  But my family has been blessed with exceptional health.  When colds and flus go around, we may not ever get sick.  Or if we do, it is much milder and for a shorter duration than those around us.  We rarely miss school or work or church due to sickness.  It's that mild.
  • I'm thankful recently for the ability to get some construction done on my house.  It started off as a mess.  I had to fire the guys that started.  Then as I prayed for guidance to complete the project, I was given that guidance.  And it is moving forward according to plan.
  • I'm thankful for the new dining table we're about to get.  We've been dining over a 4x8 laminate board strapped down on a fold-up plastic table from Home Depot for the past 10 to 15 years.  This was because we simply couldn't find a table big enough that wasn't in the thousands of dollars.  But because of some connections, we were able to get a nice LONG real wood table for free.  And it fits our family.

What is something special in your life?

33 minutes ago, Carborendum said:
  • I'm thankful for the new dining table we're about to get.  We've been dining over a 4x8 laminate board strapped down on a fold-up plastic table from Home Depot for the past 10 to 15 years.  This was because we simply couldn't find a table big enough that wasn't in the thousands of dollars.  But because of some connections, we were able to get a nice LONG real wood table for free.  And it fits our family.

Hmm, with what you just wrote in mind...

I probably would have built my own table somewhere in that time period.  Actually, have put together at least two tables around that size (more around a 4.5' x 7') during the past 5 years.  Also built some shelves and other items out of wood.  In that light, I suppose I am grateful for the ability to do so (though now that I've voiced it, it will probably be taken away, things seem to happen that way sometimes).

Grateful for Doritos Chips.  They are probably very unhealthy for me, but I love the Nacho Cheese and even moreso love the Cool Ranch flavors of Doritos.  I also love Cheetos, Sour Cream and Onion and Sun Chips.

I'm grateful for soap and water so I can wash my hands off before touching any of my wonderful books.  Also grateful so that I can force everyone else to wash their hands before touching my books.  (Might love chips, but if they are terrible for fingerprints and books).

I'm grateful that I was able to tear down the walls of denial, and finally admit to myself that I'm just not good at home remodeling.  Installing fences is something I can do, but I now understand and accept that I should never be allowed next to a bucket of drywall plaster.

Edited by NeuroTypical

Guest MormonGator
1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

What is something special in your life?

I'm grateful for being able to spend Thanksgiving for the third time in a row with my 92 year old grandmother. 

I am thankful for a compassionate husband. He is a righteous priesthood holder, holds and honors a temple recommend. He anchors me. Calms me when he sees and senses that I am nearing an emotional & verbal eruption.

He cries with me. Laughs with me. Sometimes he even laughs at me - which actually brings me off my high horse and back into reality.

I am so thankful he is my Eternal Companion. We met & married late in this mortal life [14 years ago], I was 52 he was 62, hence we won't be spending much time as mortals, but we WILL be together for Eternity!

1. I'm absolutely thankful for an incredible family.  I was in a seedy apartment house today that smelled like crap, listening to parents screech at their kids,  I'm so lucky.

2. I'm thankful that my wife made eye contact with that missionary 16 months ago and that my mind was opened enough to listen to them.

3.  I'm thankful for the opportunity to baptize my boys and confirm them members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

4.  I'm thankful for all the people Heavenly Father put in my path, even on this forum, to punch me in the face with truth and reason.

25 minutes ago, Grunt said:

1. I'm absolutely thankful for an incredible family.  I was in a seedy apartment house today that smelled like crap, listening to parents screech at their kids,  I'm so lucky.

2. I'm thankful that my wife made eye contact with that missionary 16 months ago and that my mind was opened enough to listen to them.

3.  I'm thankful for the opportunity to baptize my boys and confirm them members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

4.  I'm thankful for all the people Heavenly Father put in my path, even on this forum, to punch me in the face with truth and reason.

Has it already been a year since your baptism?  WOW! Time flies.