How short is too short?

SamRose

Hey everyone! I have been looking at summer clothes, and I am having trouble figuring out what shorts are too short! A lot of the other Young Women in my ward have been wearing things that I think are way too short. What inseam length is approapriate? By the way, I am 14 years old and am tall with long legs, so some normally acceptable shorts don't look long enough on me. I would also appreciate any advice on where to buy modest shorts!

It depends on the culture I suppose.

Boys probably have it easier than girls in this.  They are not expected to buy things that show as much skin in the western culture.  In that light, perhaps more of the boys style in a more conservative manner.  By this I mean shorts that are longer than boxer shorts (so at least to the mid-thigh, maybe even to the knee) and sleeves that cover the top quarter of the arm with T-shirts and such with necklines that are about the same amount as a normal T-shirt (x on the low necklines).

However, what each person wears is largely up to their own decision and culture.

You can find things online or at retail stores depending on where one looks, and sometimes just because clothes say they are for the opposite gender does not necessarily mean that the opposite gender cannot wear them.  I had a daughter who always wore boys shoes and sports attire (as well as hunting attire) as her preference rather than the more "girly" clothes (as she might put it) that were what the rest of the West would cater to her.

However, as long as it is not indecent, most of what one chooses to wear is up to them.

On 4/23/2020 at 8:31 PM, SamRose said:

Hey everyone! I have been looking at summer clothes, and I am having trouble figuring out what shorts are too short! A lot of the other Young Women in my ward have been wearing things that I think are way too short. What inseam length is approapriate? By the way, I am 14 years old and am tall with long legs, so some normally acceptable shorts don't look long enough on me. I would also appreciate any advice on where to buy modest shorts!

It's too short when YOU look at it and say "Oh my heck! That's sooo short!"

If someone else looks at it and says "Oh my *&^#%?  That's &^%$ short!"  MAYDAYYYY!!

On 4/23/2020 at 7:31 PM, SamRose said:

Many of us here are way too old to relate to the world you live in.  Shakespeare once said that nothing is as good or as bad as it seems, only that thinking makes it so.   I use to think that if someone had to ask if something was too short - it was.

Back in the day of my youth (just after the flood of Noah) - it was popular to get as much vitamin D as possible by exposing as much skin to the sun as possible.  Guys would often not wear shirts.  Skin cancer is the popular thing for my generation now even though that was not the plan.  In Japan white skin on ladies is considered beautiful so on a bright sunny day the ladies walk around under umbrellas. 

Talk to your mom and young women leaders - they understand you and your culture better than us ancient relics here.  

BTW - welcome to our forum.

The Traveler

This is what I taught my 2 boys since they were toddlers.  One is now 18 and serving a mission, the other one is 16.  Choose your clothes in preparation for temple endowments.  Such that, when they were toddlers, they've been wearing white undershirts and boxer briefs and so they wear clothes that keep their undies under.  It's a good thing that men's fashion now favors the board shorts which comes knee length.

I don't have daughters but if I did, that's also how she would be growing up.  So, my suggestion to you as a 14-year-old - choose your clothing in preparation for temple endowments.  Women garment bottoms are knee-length, women garment tops are capped sleeves.  I suggest ditching shorts for capris.  I love capris.

1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

It's too short when YOU look at it and say "Oh my heck! That's sooo short!"

If someone else looks at it and says "Oh my *&^#%?  That's &^%$ short!"  MAYDAYYYY!!

Or a gravelly, "Y'know, those'd be two inches better if they were two inches shorter."

On 4/23/2020 at 7:31 PM, SamRose said:

My wife has long legs, and finding shorts has been very difficult for her, which is why she rarely wears shorts (can't find them so easily). She likes capris. But now she mostly wears jeans and workout pants.

I think @anatess2 provided a good principle to follow.