How Are Spirits Made?

bunnzy

I had always assumed that because we are made in Gods Image, that Heavenly Father and Heavenly Mother procreated spirits by having sex. I guess it just made sense to me that if our mortal bodies works that way to make another body, they would work that way to make spirits also.

My sister-in-law does not agree, she believes spirits are made a different way (like how the earth was created, from unorganised matter) So what i want to know is, after this life, when we are resurrected, will we have sex? If we do, will it be for procreation, or just recreation? (My husband is interested to know this also!)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say that I sure as heck hope we do. I know that it is an incredible bonding experience here and can only imaging that it will be the same in heaven. Now whether the mechanics of sex are the same there I don't know but I know there will be ways that we will express love to our spouses. Whatever the case I can't wait to find out.

I would tend to think that there has to be some sharing of each other in the creation process because we know that spirit is matter and that we haven't always had spirit bodies, but existed as intelligences before gaining a spirit body.

Actually, we are all eternal and have been around as long a Heavenly Father has, thus (IMHO) we are not procreated:

D&C 93: 29 Man was also in the beginning with God. Intelligence, or the light of truth, was not created or made, neither indeed can be.

My belief is that its more like adoption. I mean, talk about being eternally pregnant, even if HF had 1000 wives they would each have to be having kids at the rate of dozens every hour at least to come up with the population of this world, and scripture tells us that God has created worlds without number. Not something most women I know would look forward to.

As for sex in the CK, why not, its not just for procreation.

We are resurrected in the same form we had here on Earth. Every hair, every body part. "Every" by definition includes the sex organs. Gender is a part of our eternal identity. If the part is there then sex is possible. And probably possible in every degree of glory. We know that procreation is possible only in the Celestial kingdom, so organization of intelligences into spirit children is probably something else.

For some time now, I've felt that spirits were created in means more like making sandcastles or snowmen. All that sand/snow laying there as untapped potential, until a creative person or persons (ie. Heavenly Father) comes along and begins shaping it into something with form. So yes, I believe in the Unorganized Matter theory.

I personally hope to some degree of desperateness that spirits are not created by sexual means. I was born into this mortality incapable of becoming able to experience sexual feelings/desires/urges, and I don't think that will change post-mortality, either... If the only thing stopping me from entering into the Celestial Kingdom is my lack of ability to desire sexual intimacy on any level, then I feel it's unfair to be alienated for reasons beyond my control.

Nobody made our spirits. Well not quite. We started off as intelligence. Heavenly Father organized us into proper spiritual entities. I don't think physical sex was how it happened. However I bet the feeling that occured when each of us were made into being was just about as wonderful as it could be.

However there hasn't really been any explanation about the creation of spirits in terms of how it actually happens. One day a few of us will know, and will have the chance to organize our own spirit children.

I had a seminary teacher who taught us that there would still be sex in the eternities and believed that that's how spirit children will be made, and that sex will be better than it was on earth. She seemed pretty happy about it. :lol: Once when we were at her house for a seminary party, her husband came home from a business trip and she shouted, "LARRY!!!!!!" Then she bolted out the door to jump into his arms and kiss him. It was very sweet, but I have no idea if she was correct about the type of relations we will have in the eternities. I agree with her, but it's not doctrine. If we are "pregnant", I don't think it will be a burden at all. We'll get all the wonderful parts without the barfing and the aches and pains. No labor either.

Guest Seraphim

You are kidding – right?

Do the math. Several thousand new ‘spirits’ join the world population every hour. Not a lot of time for foreplay do you think?

You people are nuts.

Zeke: This board is for congenial discussion. Insults and vulgarity are not allowed.

We are resurrected in the same form we had here on Earth. Every hair, every body part. "Every" by definition includes the sex organs. Gender is a part of our eternal identity. If the part is there then sex is possible. And probably possible in every degree of glory. We know that procreation is possible only in the Celestial kingdom, so organization of intelligences into spirit children is probably something else.

Those who live in the terrestrial and telestial kingdoms "will not be part of eternal families; they will live separately and singly forever." (Chapter 46: The Last Judgment, Gospel Principles)

What is the difference then between celestial, terrestrial and telestial bodies? I've come to the belief that terrestrial and telestial bodies will be unable to have sexual relations since there are no family units.

I don't believe anyone here can assert with any real authority that we will be having sex or anything akin to it in the eternities. Sex, at least here on earth, is for physical procreation and is suited uniquely to our human forms and behavior. Sex as a celestial being with celestial glory seems a bit primitive and simplistic at best and crude and offensive at worse.

Those who live in the terrestrial and telestial kingdoms "will not be part of eternal families; they will live separately and singly forever." (Chapter 46: The Last Judgment, Gospel Principles)

What is the difference then between celestial, terrestrial and telestial bodies? I've come to the belief that terrestrial and telestial bodies will be unable to have sexual relations since there are no family units.

But, since sex can, and does, occur outside the family unit - that pre-supposes at least one of two things: 1) Their body is not resurrected as promised, it is not a perfected form of an earthly body but it is lacking functioning sex organs, or 2) Free agency, an eternal principle, has been terminated. I can't otherwise see how, if the body is resurrected as we are taught it will be, you can keep two people in the terrestrial kingdom who want to have sex from having sex. Can you?

"Some of the functions in the celestial body will not appear in the terrestrial body, neither in the telestial body, and the power of procreation will be removed." (President Joseph Fielding Smith, Doctrines of Salvation, 2: 288; emphasis in original)

I ran into this quote also more on topic. This is from 1909 issued by the then First Presidency of the church ( Joseph F. Smith, John R. Winder, and Anthon H. Lund)

"The doctrine of the preexistence, revealed so plainly, particularly in latter days, pours a wonderful flood of light upon the otherwise mysterious problem of man's origin. It shows that man, as a spirit, was begotten and born of heavenly Parents, and reared to maturity in the eternal mansions of the Father, prior to coming upon the earth in a temporal body to undergo an experience in mortality. . . .Jesus, however, is the firstborn among all the sons of God--the first begotten in the spirit, and the Only Begotten in the flesh. He is our elder brother, and we like Him, are in the image of God. All men and women are in the similitude of the universal Father and Mother, and are literally the sons and daughters of Deity. (Encyclopedia of Mormonism 4:1667-68, emphasis added. The two parts of this quotation have been reversed for the sake of clarity)

All this is from Matthew B. Brown's book, The Plan of Salvation.

"Sex as a celestial being with celestial glory seems a bit primitive and simplistic at best and crude and offensive at worse. " - Ron Beron

I do not understand how you could come to such a conclusion, RB, I had always been taught, and if you look up church doctrine on it, that sex is divine and holy. We go under covenant in the temple to be chaste and cleave only unto our spouse. I do not see how sex is primitive or simplistic. Sex is only offensive when Satan distorts it. When used in marraige it is special and divine.

"Do the math. Several thousand new ‘spirits’ join the world population every hour." - Zeke

Who says how long gestation is in heaven? How long did it take the world to be created? All the spirits were created before the earth was even formed. How long would that take? a long time. But they had a long time. and we will too. Forever is a long time.

"I was born into this mortality incapable of becoming able to experience sexual feelings/desires/urges, and I don't think that will change post-mortality, either... " - Wistaria

It was my beleif that when you are resurrected your bodies are perfected. Our brain functions, our genital functions, will be made perfect (i hope for that because i have some mental health problems, and i dont want to live forever with them) I dont know enough about your situation, but i think i can safely say that when you are resurrected, those problems will be gone.

Thanks for all the posts guys, this has generated a much more thought-provoking thread than i had thought it would.

Actually, we are all eternal and have been around as long a Heavenly Father has, thus (IMHO) we are not procreated:

D&C 93: 29 Man was also in the beginning with God. Intelligence, or the light of truth, was not created or made, neither indeed can be.

My belief is that its more like adoption. I mean, talk about being eternally pregnant, even if HF had 1000 wives they would each have to be having kids at the rate of dozens every hour at least to come up with the population of this world, and scripture tells us that God has created worlds without number. Not something most women I know would look forward to.

As for sex in the CK, why not, its not just for procreation.

We, as intelligences, are uncreated, but our spirits are as created as our bodies. Procreation as spirits is the method of adoption.

If you want to know the answer, I dont think any of us can tell you. So youll have to go to the Lord in fasting and prayer. and If He decides not to reveal it at this time, then just be patient and dont worry about it. It will be revealed when it is appropriate. How things work in the eternities are not as important as how things work now.

Sex as a celestial being with celestial glory seems a bit primitive and simplistic at best and crude and offensive at worse.

So you believe sex is sinful or dirty? Strange then isn't it that God would choose this "dirty, sinful" method to give every single one of His children a physical body. No my friend, sex is for sharing and loving "..and two shall become one" when done in the correct relationship (marriage)

I am not sure that it matters whether we will be able to have sex in the Celestial Kingdom or any other kingdom or not. I do not think that Heavenly Father sees it as a dirty thing, unless we make it that. After all, that is the ability through which He gave us to create life on this earth and bring His special spirits into this world. We know that if we live worthy to obtain the highest degree of glory in the Celestial Kingdom that we will be as Gods and Goddesses ourselves in that kingdom and have the ability to parent spiritual beings, regardless of how it is done. Not adopt, but create is the word God uses.

Also, we know that we will have happiness in every degree of heaven and every glory. Joseph Smith described even the lowest degree of the Telestial Kingdom as a much better and happier place than this earth. That is saying alot.

Josie

IMO the method of creating physical children, i.e. sexual relations, is a purpose and function for this sphere and for our mortal bodies.

I believe that spirit children will be "organized" in some manner but not through sex or any other method used in this world. I don't believe we will be eternally pregnant as we know it. I believe we will function on a higher plane of creation.

Garden Girl

I certainly HOPE that there is sex in the eternities. I spent 28 years with one of the most selfish, cruelest men - now that I am married AND sealed to my soul mate - I want this bliss to continue on into the eternities, and that includes sex.