The Iron Rod -- A Wealth of Symbolism

Carborendum

I'd been thinking about Lehi's dream and was surprised by a line from our Sacrament Hymn:  God Loved us, so He Sent His Son. A line stuck out to me:

He bowed himself beneath the rod.

At first I envisioned the iron rod as we see in all the artistic depictions.  A person bowing below that "handrail" seemed pretty silly.  But then it occurred to me that there may be an interesting alternative to the typical depictions.

• A "rod" is a synonym of what Occidental cultures would call a "scepter".  It is an emblem of a king's power and authority.  We bow to the scepter to show obeisance to the king.  It is also a symbol of fear since the rod can also be used as a weapon by the King to strike down a subject who is being disobedient. (What fond beggar, but to touch the crown, would, with the scepter straight be stricken down?)
  • Why iron? I was reminded that Nephi was educated in the manner of both the Jews and the Egyptians.
    • To the Jews, iron was a strong metal.  It was the very symbol of strength and durability.
    • To the Egyptians, it carried an air of power and authority.  They first came across it from meteorites.  As such, they called it the "Metal of Heaven" or sometimes translated as "Star Metal."  
    • Nephi simply called it "the word of God".
    • The Gospel of John called Jesus, Himself, "The Word."

The rod spoken of here is not a weapon.  At least, it is not extended as such.  It is the Lord's way of offering a path for us to draw near unto Him.  But those who see it as a weapon want to stay away from it, even mock those who cling to it -- as such naysayers remain far enough away that they can feel safe in the fantasy-land that brings only temporary comfort that will eventually fall apart (like, Idunno, a building floating without a foundation).

The iron rod is

• The word of God
  • The symbol of power and authority of God
  • The invitation to partake of His love
  • Our guide and stay

The Iron Rod is the Atonement, the Church, the Commandments, and all the covenants we make.

We can choose our own path and wind up in a very fanciful and comfortable building that will eventually fall; or we can bow ourselves beneath the rod.

Edited by Carborendum

I think the Interpreter Foundation had an article with some overlap several years back. My Google fu is not powerful enough to find it but the gist was that the scriptures elsewhere contain the phrase “rod of iron” and while it may be a scepter, staff, or crook, only Nephi gets us thinking about it as a handrail. The author then explores some literary implications that follow if we adapt these other meanings.

I’m not sure that even Nephi unambiguously considered it a handrail.  He talks of a rod leading to the tree, that initially extended along a river.  He never says it’s a continuous rod that extends the whole distance like some sort of rail.

Perhaps we should consider the possibility that the rod of iron is meant to be seen as a divining rod, the use of which Joseph’s scribe Oliver Cowdery would have understood well (cf D&C 8, wherein earlier manuscripts rendered “gift of Aaron” as “gift of working with the rod”).

In that sense, it may well have prefigured the Liahona; which makes the “I’m not an iron rod Mormon, I’m a Liahona Mormon” line even more amusing.  (“Fool!  They were the same thing!”)

Edited by Just_A_Guy

I'm usually very good at looking at cross references.  But I just realized I've never done that with this vision.  I noticed quite a different voice between the Biblical vs. BoM verses on the topic.

So, here are the Biblical references.

Thou shalt break them with a rod of iron; thou shalt dash them in pieces like a potter’s vessel.

-- Ps 2:9

And he shall rule them with a rod of iron; as the vessels of a potter shall they be broken to shivers: even as I received of my Father.

-- Rev 2:27

And she brought forth a man child, who was to rule all nations with a rod of iron: and her child was caught up unto God, and to his throne.

-- Rev 12:5

And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.

-- Rev 19:15

Certainly emphasizing the power and weapon aspect of the rod.  That aspect of "fear of the crown" rather than "honor, respect, and reverence" is emphasized.  I believe this to be a cultural thing.

The BoM references (as you can imagine) are all from Nephi.  And they pretty much say what we are familiar with.  What stood out to me was:

And I said unto them that it was the word of God; and whoso would hearken unto the word of God, and would hold fast unto it, they would never perish; neither could the temptations and the fiery darts of the adversary overpower them unto blindness, to lead them away to destruction.

-- 1 Ne 15:24

I found the use of the word "blindness" to be interesting.  Atheists will often accuse theists of "blind faith" as a blanket pejorative over anything they consider religious.

Here, Nephi points out that by giving into the great and spacious building enshrouds us in the mists of darkness which is the true source of our spiritual blindness.

But what are the mists of darkness?  I had understood it to be the veil -- or at least, that was a large part of it.  I apply this to the argument of atheists as a warning that if we only trust our senses, we really are the blind leading the blind.  It is only when we take hold of the rod that we can see the true source of light and knowledge and have a claim on "intelligence".

15 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

I’m not sure that even Nephi unambiguously considered it a handrail.  He talks of a rod leading to the tree, that initially extended along a river.  He never says it’s a continuous rod that extends the whole distance like some sort of rail.

Perhaps we should consider the possibility that the rod of iron is meant to be seen as a divining rod, the use of which Joseph’s scribe Oliver Cowdery would have understood well (cf D&C 8, wherein earlier manuscripts rendered “gift of Aaron” as “gift of working with the rod”).

In that sense, it may well have prefigured the Liahona; which makes the “I’m not an iron rod Mormon, I’m a Liahona Mormon” line even more amusing.  (“Fool!  They were the same thing!”)

This is about what I was considering as well.  The common stumbling block is "translation".  And this is not only from language to language, but from culture to culture (be it Egyptian to American, or from 1800s to 2000s).

When we consider the Egyptian "rod", I wonder the "rod of Aaron" actually was.  Cecil B. DeMille rendered it a staff.  But an Egyptian rod of rulership was shaped like a small shepherd's crook.  

The hook can be used as a weapon, or as a gathering device.  I believe it is up to us which one it is. 

• We accept it and are brought into the fold. 
  • Or we shun it and recognize the terrible power of the Lord.

...they came forth and caught hold of the end of the rod of iron; and they did press forward through the mist of darkness, clinging to the rod of iron, even until they did come forth and partake of the fruit of the tree.

-- 1 Ne 8:24

That "end of the rod" phrase takes on new meaning for me when we see it is a hook.  Even the "clinging" then indicates that through the Atonement of Christ we are "pulled" along the path, as we cling to the end.

On 3/20/2022 at 6:38 PM, Carborendum said:

We can choose our own path and wind up in a very fanciful and comfortable building that will eventually fall; or we can bow ourselves beneath the rod.

I can appreciate the imagery, but I'd rather stick with the traditional imagery, because of the powerful impact this painting has on those of us who have tried it both ways:

May be an illustration of outdoors

1 hour ago, NeuroTypical said:

I can appreciate the imagery, but I'd rather stick with the traditional imagery, because of the powerful impact this painting has on those of us who have tried it both ways:

Nice painting.  I can appreciate your sentiment.

If I can take the privilege of sharing my "time away from Church"...

• I looked at people going towards the rod as Nephi & Lehi describe.  I couldn't see how to get there.  Sometimes, I'd find myself near the rod.  But I couldn't see the path or the tree to which it led.  It was just a rod with no sign that it was something I was supposed to use for anything.  It may as well have been a stick coming up out of the ground for all I knew.  People all around me told me to grab hold of it.  But I never saw them grabbing it.  They just seemed to walk wherever. Some down the path (presumably towards the tree) some went away.  But I didn't see them even acknowledge the rod existed.  I thought it was strange that I at least acknowledged it existed.  But I didn't see what it was for.
  • I looked at the people in the great and spacious building.  They looked like they were having fun.  But for the most part, their fun was just mocking the people near the rod.  And at the times I "randomly" found myself near it, the mocking included me.

I was in a state of limbo. It was easy for me to say I didn't want to go into the great and spacious building.  But I really didn't have any drive or ambition to go down the path that I couldn't see.  Some say that we only have one step visible to us.  I had none during that period in my life.  I had no way of knowing if any step I took was going towards or away from the tree.

Edited by Carborendum

Forgive me for continuing to hash this topic.  But it seems I've developed a bit of a fixation with it.

I was thinking of the Egyptian symbol of the crook and the flail.

1989728128_Crookandflail-1920w.jpg.90ad640365b7ce7cee0d84fbadc48cb9.jpg

To Egyptians, both of these items represented the power of Pharaoh / the gods.  But the interesting thing about both symbols (often paired) is that they have dual purposes.  Either one is used as a weapon or as a kind provider. 

•  The crook symbolized the "shepherd" aspect of the Pharaoh.
  • The flail was an agricultural device for threshing wheat. The "provider" aspect.

Thus we have the duality of the iron rod.  Biblical references indicate it is a weapon, to show the power of the Lord. The BoM references indicate it is a tool of a "loving provider."

I remember a particular famous commentator stating that a real leader is one who watches over his flock, but can definitely be a %*$&# if you need need him to be.  And he'd better be able to because part of protecting is also beating the crud out of your enemies (my words, not his).

I know that in the latter half of the 20th century, it became distasteful for us to think of the Lord as a punisher of the wicked.  We tend to focus on the gentler side.  But it is important to know that God has power.  And power can be both gentle and terrible.

Today's morality is to be gentle to the willfully rebellious, and be terrible to those who want to hold to the rod.  The exact opposite of the Lord's way.

I have this philosophy: The aspect we see is based on our own attitude.  It isn't really about the sin (with a few exceptions).  It is about repentance.  I may sin quite a bit.  But as long as I keep repenting, I tend to see the gentle side of the Lord.  If I ever decide that I don't need to repent, or consider that a sin isn't really a sin, then I will see the terrible side.

Edited by Carborendum

2 hours ago, Carborendum said:

Forgive me for continuing to hash this topic.  But it seems I've developed a bit of a fixation with it.

I was thinking of the Egyptian symbol of the crook and the flail.

1989728128_Crookandflail-1920w.jpg.90ad640365b7ce7cee0d84fbadc48cb9.jpg

To Egyptians, both of these items represented the power of Pharaoh / the gods.  But the interesting thing about both symbols (often paired) is that they have dual purposes.  Either one is used as a weapon or as a kind provider. 

•  The crook symbolized the "shepherd" aspect of the Pharaoh.
  • The flail was an agricultural device for threshing wheat. The "provider" aspect.

Thus we have the duality of the iron rod.  Biblical references indicate it is a weapon, to show the power of the Lord. The BoM references indicate it is a tool of a "loving provider."

I remember a particular famous commentator stating that a real leader is one who watches over his flock, but can definitely be a %*$&# if you need need him to be.  And he'd better be able to because part of protecting is also beating the crud out of your enemies (my words, not his).

I know that in the latter half of the 20th century, it became distasteful for us to think of the Lord as a punisher of the wicked.  We tend to focus on the gentler side.  But it is important to know that God has power.  And power can be both gentle and terrible.

Today's morality is to be gentle to the willfully rebellious, and be terrible to those who want to hold to the rod.  The exact opposite of the Lord's way.

I have this philosophy: The aspect we see is based on our own attitude.  It isn't really about the sin (with a few exceptions).  It is about repentance.  I may sin quite a bit.  But as long as I keep repenting, I tend to see the gentle side of the Lord.  If I ever decide that I don't need to repent, or consider that a sin isn't really a sin, then I will see the terrible side.

I have decided to respond to @Carborendum with some of my impressions of symbolism and what is being represented.   The first reference we have of the "Tree of Life" is in the Eden epoch in the book of Genesis.  The symbolism takes us from the fall (symbolized by partaking of the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil) to the Tree of Life.  In Genesis we are given the imagery that the path or way to the Tree of Life is kept or maintained by Cherubim that oversees the path or way with cleansing flame and a two edge sword of justice.  It has long been my impression that the symbolism concerning "The Path or Way" to the Tree of Life is -- the Messiah, Jesus Christ.

Most depictions of the iron rod is that of a long banister or rail that one grips but must loosen their grip to slide along the stationary rod.  In contrast, it is my personal impression that the "iron rod" is Christ.  That in essence we place our hand in (grip) his and he carefully takes us to the tree of life in a manner that avoids all the terrible hazards.  All the symbolisms are to point to aspects of Jesus Christ and his iron clad care for us.

The Traveler

On 3/25/2022 at 10:54 AM, Traveler said:

I have decided to respond to @Carborendum with some of my impressions of symbolism and what is being represented.   The first reference we have of the "Tree of Life" is in the Eden epoch in the book of Genesis.  The symbolism takes us from the fall (symbolized by partaking of the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil) to the Tree of Life.  In Genesis we are given the imagery that the path or way to the Tree of Life is kept or maintained by Cherubim that oversees the path or way with cleansing flame and a two edge sword of justice.  It has long been my impression that the symbolism concerning "The Path or Way" to the Tree of Life is -- the Messiah, Jesus Christ.

Most depictions of the iron rod is that of a long banister or rail that one grips but must loosen their grip to slide along the stationary rod.  In contrast, it is my personal impression that the "iron rod" is Christ.  That in essence we place our hand in (grip) his and he carefully takes us to the tree of life in a manner that avoids all the terrible hazards.  All the symbolisms are to point to aspects of Jesus Christ and his iron clad care for us.

The Traveler

I had wondered if someone would reference 1Nephi 15:23-24:

23 And they said unto me: What meaneth the rod of iron which our father saw, that led to the tree?

24 And I said unto them that it was the word of God; and whoso would hearken unto the word of God, and would hold fast unto it, they would never perish; neither could the temptations and the fiery darts of the adversary overpower them unto blindness, to lead them away to destruction.

Which I believe is explained in the Gospel of John chapter - that the "word" or word of G-d is Christ.

The Traveler

On 3/27/2022 at 6:02 PM, Traveler said:

I had wondered if someone would reference 1Nephi 15:23-24:

Which I believe is explained in the Gospel of John chapter - that the "word" or word of G-d is Christ.

The Traveler

Well, yes...

On 3/20/2022 at 7:38 PM, Carborendum said:
    • Nephi simply called it "the word of God".
    • The Gospel of John called Jesus, Himself, "The Word."

• 3 weeks later...

This past Sunday, we had a priesthood lesson on the Iron Rod.  They tended to focus on the terms "clinging" (1Ne 8:24) vs the phrase "hold fast" (1Ne 8:30 & 1Ne 15:24).

It is common to think of these two as synonymous. 

• The 1828 dictionary equates the two terms.
  • Various Bible translations translate the same Hebrew word to mean either one in various citations.

But Elder Bednar sees them as different.  See the article for his reasoning.

An etymological search reveals that the term "cling" means to cluster together as if being funneled into a narrow gorge.  That gives quite a different picture.

I found this to be something of an anomaly.  Just as the terms "transgression" and "sin" are mingled, Elder Oaks indicated that "for the doctrine of the Fall" we see a differentiation in the terms.  Likewise, the words here (that are usually similar) seem to have some significance in their differences for this passage.  It is interesting to note that in Ch 8, Nephi uses different terms.  Then he specifically keeps the same usage of "hold fast" in Ch 15.

To explain this I'm going to use different synonyms: "Join" vs "bind/seal/weld".

• Join: We are all well aware that when we commonly find these "burrs" hanging or "clinging" off of our clothing.  It has joined itself to our clothing.  But it is not a "part of" our clothing.  It remains "apart".
  • Seal: When something is sealed, there is no differentiation between constituent parts.  They are all part of one great whole.

People may "join" the Church, but never really be a part of it.  There is no unity of heart, mind, and soul.  They haven't "bought into the faith."  They have are closely associated with it in their social lives.  But their hearts are off on their own.

To seal ourselves to God's Kingdom on Earth is a different story. It is difficult to accept.  It can even be terrifying.  It even sounds like joining a cult.  But it is absolutely necessary to our Eternal Destiny.

And he said unto them that it was the word of God; and whoso would hearken unto the word of God, and would hold fast unto it, they would never perish; neither could the temptations and the fiery darts of the adversary overpower them unto blindness, to lead them away to destruction

-- 1 Nephi 15:23–24 (emphasis added)

Time to cite C.S. Lewis.

How do we know if we're joining a cult, or if we're giving ourselves to God?  There is no logic or scientific way of discerning the difference.  The only way is the Holy Ghost.  Part of life's test is to see if we can truly attune ourselves to His promptings.

I'm not sure what the actual dividing line is.  But may we all be on the right side of it.

Edited by Carborendum