Which Callings Do You Fear?

MorningStar

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The songs in the Primary songbook have all these tricky accompaniments, plus duets and such. In some ways, they're more difficult than the hymns. Probably Priesthood opening exercises or RS would be the easiest to play for, because you could get away with just playing one hand. :D

Hey, some of us play both hands!

Although, I don't know what the Priesthood is going to do when I leave for my mission, I've been the pianist for about 5/6 years now.

Hey, some of us play both hands!

Although, I don't know what the Priesthood is going to do when I leave for my mission, I've been the pianist for about 5/6 years now.

I don't really play the piano. I took 2 years of lessons when I was in middle school, and I kindof kept it up because I'm a singer, but I'm not good enough to play the full hymns. However, our ward has hardly any pianists. So I was called to play the organ, in primary, and I sub for RS a lot. Not all at the same time tho. In RS and on the organ I would play the simplified hymns, but even so I needed 2 weeks to practice them for the organ, but the sister providing me the hymn numbers did not understand that. In RS it was usually a last minute thing, so they just had to take what they could get. Althought I would take BOTH of those over primary, because the primary pianist, tho not really harder (yes some accompaniments are trickier but they have the chords written in that makes it a LOT easier to play), sits behind the piano for 2 hours not really talking to anybody. No interaction. Pretty much complete isolation. I HATED that, especially since I was already in a ward that didn't really talk to me.

I don't really play the piano. I took 2 years of lessons when I was in middle school, and I kindof kept it up because I'm a singer, but I'm not good enough to play the full hymns. However, our ward has hardly any pianists. So I was called to play the organ, in primary, and I sub for RS a lot. Not all at the same time tho. In RS and on the organ I would play the simplified hymns, but even so I needed 2 weeks to practice them for the organ, but the sister providing me the hymn numbers did not understand that. In RS it was usually a last minute thing, so they just had to take what they could get. Althought I would take BOTH of those over primary, because the primary pianist, tho not really harder (yes some accompaniments are trickier but they have the chords written in that makes it a LOT easier to play), sits behind the piano for 2 hours not really talking to anybody. No interaction. Pretty much complete isolation. I HATED that, especially since I was already in a ward that didn't really talk to me.

Oh yeah. You gotta love people who think playing the piano/organ is easy. "Here, play this!" Playing the piano has become easy for me, but it wasn't when I started. There was one ward I was in where we had maybe two pianists and the other one was occupied. Someone snapped at me one day about not playing music after sacrament. Then someone snapped at me about not playing prelude in Primary. I explained to both people as nicely as I could that I couldn't be in two places at once.

Oh yeah. You gotta love people who think playing the piano/organ is easy. "Here, play this!" Playing the piano has become easy for me, but it wasn't when I started. There was one ward I was in where we had maybe two pianists and the other one was occupied. Someone snapped at me one day about not playing music after sacrament. Then someone snapped at me about not playing prelude in Primary. I explained to both people as nicely as I could that I couldn't be in two places at once.

I'm a music major, so I LOVE music, I love participating in music of any kind. But this organ/piano/music thing has been the source of all my problems in this ward. After I was released from playing the organ, people complained about not having an organist. After the primary program a few months ago the bishopric member conducting the meeting praised the pianist by saying how great it was that she was doing everything and how it was a shame that we didn't have very much music talent. That kinda bothered me so I said something to him about having a lot of musical talent in the ward, and he replied with "But we don't have any pianists! We don't have a RS pianist" (yes we do, that's me) "Show me the person who can give Sis. A a break! Show that person to me!" That sent me home crying. I was SOOOOOO upset because the bishopric was OBVIOUSLY so desperate for an organist, and here I am BEGGING for a calling. Literally begging, for months. And don't get me started on how the music chairman treated me. I could type it for an hour. It got to the point where I told the Bishop I was not willing to do anything involved with music in the ward, period end of story.

I'm a music major, so I LOVE music, I love participating in music of any kind. But this organ/piano/music thing has been the source of all my problems in this ward. After I was released from playing the organ, people complained about not having an organist. After the primary program a few months ago the bishopric member conducting the meeting praised the pianist by saying how great it was that she was doing everything and how it was a shame that we didn't have very much music talent. That kinda bothered me so I said something to him about having a lot of musical talent in the ward, and he replied with "But we don't have any pianists! We don't have a RS pianist" (yes we do, that's me) "Show me the person who can give Sis. A a break! Show that person to me!"

At that point did you tell the bishopric member you can play, and that you're the RS pianist? He probably didn't know or forgot. Did you tell him that what he said hurt you?

At that point did you tell the bishopric member you can play, and that you're the RS pianist? He probably didn't know or forgot. Did you tell him that what he said hurt you?

Yes I told them all this.

But the Bishopric is not the main problem. What they said was just forgetful and insensitive. I can deal with insensitive. I can't work with the the music chairman tho. (I say can't but I mean that I don't want to put the effort into it since I'm leaving. If I was staying I would probably deal with it. But I'm not staying, so I don't have to.)

Yes I told them all this.

But the Bishopric is not the main problem. What they said was just forgetful and insensitive. I can deal with insensitive. I can't work with the the music chairman tho. (I say can't but I mean that I don't want to put the effort into it since I'm leaving. If I was staying I would probably deal with it. But I'm not staying, so I don't have to.)

I'm sorry to hear about all you went through. I hope you can leave on good terms with everyone as much as possible.

Oh yeah. You gotta love people who think playing the piano/organ is easy. "Here, play this!" Playing the piano has become easy for me, but it wasn't when I started.

Oh totally, luckily my conductor is an awesome guy and he and I have talked about these types of things and he will never put me on the spot for something. My mother though, who is the main pianist gets people asking for her to play stuff right then and there all the time. She's been playing for her whole life though, so she has become very adept at sightreading.

There was one ward I was in where we had maybe two pianists and the other one was occupied. Someone snapped at me one day about not playing music after sacrament. Then someone snapped at me about not playing prelude in Primary. I explained to both people as nicely as I could that I couldn't be in two places at once.

Those are the types of people I will tell, if I'm not in a great mood, that if they don't like it then they can go ahead and do it themselves.

Oh totally, luckily my conductor is an awesome guy and he and I have talked about these types of things and he will never put me on the spot for something. My mother though, who is the main pianist gets people asking for her to play stuff right then and there all the time. She's been playing for her whole life though, so she has become very adept at sightreading.

Those are the types of people I will tell, if I'm not in a great mood, that if they don't like it then they can go ahead and do it themselves.

That was certainly tempting. :D

Speaking of callings, I got two more today. That's a total of 5 callings. They might release me from a couple of them soon. I wouldn't mind being released as choir president. Recently we had a stake training meeting where the choir director, music chairman, choir pianist, and choir president were supposed to come. We got four invitations, so I gave one to the choir director and the other three to me, me, and me. :P I've had choir callings for 5 years now, so I probably wouldn't complain if they released me from those.

That was certainly tempting. :D

Speaking of callings, I got two more today. That's a total of 5 callings. They might release me from a couple of them soon. I wouldn't mind being released as choir president. Recently we had a stake training meeting where the choir director, music chairman, choir pianist, and choir president were supposed to come. We got four invitations, so I gave one to the choir director and the other three to me, me, and me. :P I've had choir callings for 5 years now, so I probably wouldn't complain if they released me from those.

I just got called to be a ward missionary. :D

HiJolly

• 2 weeks later...

Hey ztod,if there's one advantage in being single I cant be called as a Bishop no matter how worthy.

It's in the begining of 1 Timothy.

I cant remember the exact words but it says that I must be a married man with 1 wife.

This I understand to be married only once and still married to the same woman.

(I'll stand corrected if i'm understanding in incorrectly).

I have been a ward missionary for the past 7 years, I dont mind it. Im good at it so I like that calling.

I never judge a calling on weather I like it or fear it till I have had it.

Ones I loved have been RS, young women pres, sunday school teacher and Seminanry.

Ones I have had and hated / fear of getting again are.

nursery and Cub leader.

I rather pock out my eyes with a stick!:eek:

This isn't exactly the same thing as what calling do I dread, but I thought it was funny, and this is the closest thread I'll ever get to telling anyone about it.

First, I need to tell you I live with my mother, as I am disabled. She has been very kind to take me in.

About a year ago her Relief Society took on a project of making booties out of discarded fabric. When I could I would make some. I probably made a total of 10 sets of booties in three months. But baby, I made the best booties out of the ugliest fabric you ever saw!

Anyway, when the sister came by to pick up the booties, my mother was not home. The sister, not realizing I was not only not a member, but, gasp, an atheist as well, she started gushing over me at what a sweet spirit I had. I was very nice to her but didn't want to feel like I was deceiving her and so I told her about my non-member status.

For a moment she looked like I'd just socked her in the gut. But darling that she was, she recovered and was as sweet as she could be. There was no condescension or stumbling in her voice. She thanked me for telling her so that she didn't go on making a fool out of herself, which was, of course, a self-deprecating joke. And we talked a bit more and I found a quite liked her.

So, the calling I fear the most is making more booties!

But if it meant I would get to talk to her again, I might just consider it.

Elphaba

you can have a calling if you haven't been baptised?

HI miz,

If you're referring to me, I was only helping my mom out. This project was not a literal calling. It was only a Relief Society project to make booties for people who lived in poorer areas. Does that make sense?

The answer to your question is no, you cannot have an actual calling if you haven't been baptised. At least, that is my understanding.

Elphaba

We've been in our new ward for 6 months now, and still no calling for me (knocking on wood). My wife is a Tuesday night Librarian. A couple that moved into the ward a month AFTER we did, SHe is the Young Womens Secretary, and he was just called to be the Sunday School President, after being in the Elder's Quorum Presidency. Maybe I'm not worthy enough for anything. :embarrassed:

We've been in our new ward for 6 months now, and still no calling for me (knocking on wood). My wife is a Tuesday night Librarian. A couple that moved into the ward a month AFTER we did, SHe is the Young Womens Secretary, and he was just called to be the Sunday School President, after being in the Elder's Quorum Presidency. Maybe I'm not worthy enough for anything. :embarrassed:

I seriously doubt that is true.

i don't say this to brag and don't vouch for how i did at any calling lol but i don't think there is a calling i "fear". i was called as stake ysa rep when i turned 19 (maybe a bit before), stayed there till i got married. was called a youth ss teacher (not enough youth to seperate, all one class) as soon as i got to my new branch, from there i went to counselor in primary, then primary pres. from there went to rs pres (not enough ppl so i did 75% of the lessons so i was also enrichment and sunday teacher), then to yw's pres. all of those were with one counselor if i was lucky, (i'm still yw's pres at the moment; no counselors). while rs pres i did have a counselor but the activities person was wrapped up in the rs calling so that was really two. durring all this time my husband has been el quarm pres (no counselors) and membership and records clerk, so i've helped him alot; getting copies, making calls about projects, etc. so i tease that i've been the el quarm sec too. while rs pres we had 2 endowed sis pass away so i've done participated in that as well. i'm in cub scouts, have been since the primary callings. visiting teacher throughout all that time of course.....ummm that's all i can think of for now. lol i guess since i have no musical tallent whatsoever anything to do with that would be particularly stressful. i guess i'm still young so there is still lots to come. but not much scares me anymore. lol so for anyone that wants to hold callings and doesn't feel like you fully serve, i can recomend a place to move to. lol