Oaks - Red letter talk

mikbone

15 hours ago, askandanswer said:

The Book of Mormon seems to contain several examples of where contention has been used in the pursuit of good and righteous purposes, eg, the scriptures I referred to - Alma 11, Mosiah 13 - 17 and Helaman, and possibly many others that I haven't referred to. If good and righteous contention is a correct way to characterise those events, this could lead to the conclusion that there are occasions and purposes when it is right and good to contend, ie, a green light to engage in contention. However, a more recent, and I suggest, more relevant source, has now counselled against contention. So if a person is weighing up if or how to contend, they could consult all relevant sources and perhaps place greater weight on the most recent and relevant sources.

Yeah, I still think it's a problem to pit living prophets and apostles against scripture.

3 hours ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Yeah, I still think it's a problem to pit living prophets and apostles against scripture.

I’m agreeing with you when posting the following statement:

President Ezra Taft Benson - 

“The most important prophet, so far as we are concerned, is the one who is living in our day and age. This is the prophet who has today’s instructions from God to us. God’s revelation to Adam did not instruct Noah how to build the ark. Every generation has need of the ancient scripture, plus the current scripture from the living prophet. Therefore, the most crucial reading and pondering that you should do is of the latest inspired words from the Lord’s mouthpiece. That is why it is essential that you have access to and carefully read his words. …

Yes, we thank thee, O God, for a prophet to guide us in these latter days [see Hymns, no. 19]

Beware of those who would set up the dead prophets against the living prophets, for the living prophets always take precedence.“

It seems clear that both are needed, both are relevant, and scripture is ongoing. 

I believe what @askandanswer was trying to say is what President Benson stated about the living prophet taking precedence. If I misunderstand, though, feel free to correct me. 

14 minutes ago, Colirio said:

I believe what @askandanswer was trying to say is what President Benson stated about the living prophet taking precedence. If I misunderstand, though, feel free to correct me. 

Sure. I think @askandanswer probably means the same thing I do. I think it just matters what one is meaning by "taking precedence" and/or "more relevant".

My concern is the idea of taking scripture and casting it aside as if it isn't useful or relevant because of our understanding of what the prophet has said, rather than spending more time and effort pondering and seeking guidance to reconcile the scripture in question. Know what I mean?

I just had an interesting talk with one of my missionary sons.  I asked what he thought of Elder Oaks' talk.  He said he thought it was awesome.

I asked why.  He said,"Because the scriptures are awesome.  I wonder sometimes why GAs say anything at all.  The answers are all in the scriptures."

"And there was Elder Oaks simply telling us to read the scriptures.  That's how we get to know the Savior. Ya know.  Hear Him."