a thought re. repentance

askandanswer

This is just a thought I had this morning, rather than a question for discussion, although it could lead to some discussion. I like the thought and thought it could be useful, so I decided to share it.

Christ suffered for our sins and we suffer for them as well. He is saddened, He is pained, when we act contrary to a manner which promotes our growth and eternal well-being and when we act against the teachings, covenants and commandments He has given us to enable our return to Him. When we repent and turn back to Him, I feel it erases His pain at our rejection of Him and His word just as much as it does ours. To lessen the pain of Christ and bring some measure of joy to Him is yet another reason to repent.

36 minutes ago, askandanswer said:

This is just a thought I had this morning, rather than a question for discussion, although it could lead to some discussion. I like the thought and thought it could be useful, so I decided to share it.

Christ suffered for our sins and we suffer for them as well. He is saddened, He is pained, when we act contrary to a manner which promotes our growth and eternal well-being and when we act against the teachings, covenants and commandments He has given us to enable our return to Him. When we repent and turn back to Him, I feel it erases His pain at our rejection of Him and His word just as much as it does ours. To lessen the pain of Christ and bring some measure of joy to Him is yet another reason to repent.

In the scriptures it is likened to childbirth. As soon as the child is born the pain is forgotten and joy ensues. I imagine something similar is experienced when we are born again. Though I'm not sure what the gospel equivalent is for the baby getting it's bottom slapped. 🤔

I think that Christ knows your pain and cares about the sorrow you feel is the best reason to repent.  HE actually cares about ME, and knows my potential joys and sorrows, and that's WHY he wants me to repent.  He's happy for us when we live to our higher selves.

What you wrote was beautiful, thank you.

On 4/21/2023 at 6:47 PM, askandanswer said:

I think this is probably true to an extent, but I need to have hope/faith that there is an end to his sorrow and pain, in order to hope for my own happiness as well.  To that end, I hope that even now, he is net joyful for the salvation he knows almost all of us will receive (even if in the telestial kingdom).

As for those in outer darkness, I hope they rarely cross his mind because it's a darn shame to fret over things outside our power.

6 minutes ago, popatr said:

I think this is probably true to an extent, but I need to have hope/faith that there is an end to his sorrow and pain, in order to hope for my own happiness as well.  To that end, I hope that even now, he is net joyful for the salvation he knows almost all of us will receive (even if in the telestial kingdom).

As for those in outer darkness, I hope they rarely cross his mind because it's a darn shame to fret over things outside our power.

"but all things are numbered unto me, for they are mine and I know them."

Moses 1:35

I think that whatever point we are at, however damned or exalted we are, he is always aware of us and our potential and sorrows and joys for us.

As a mother, I don't picture ever forgetting my children no matter how big of a hole they have dug for themselves. Just because we don't have power over other people's agency doesn't mean we forget about them.

"wherefore should not the heavens weep, seeing these shall suffer?" Moses 7:37

I am not sure how happy we will be if those we love are suffering. I don't think it's a matter of numbing ourselves out to the suffering. Maybe it's more of a matter of being so aware of all the joy from those that are learning and choosing good, and all the potential for growth for those who haven't yet?

To lessen the pain of Christ and bring some measure of joy to Him is yet another reason to repent.

I speculate that whenever anyone repents and enters into covenant living that all citizens of the kingdom of heaven rejoice.  That there is great joy among the righteous for each individual that returns – I suspect that it is possible that the more one has wondered from the path the more there is joy in their return.  I am sure there is no suspicion or thinking that someone repentant is unworthy.

The Traveler

10 hours ago, schematic_dreamer said:

"but all things are numbered unto me, for they are mine and I know them."

Moses 1:35

I think that whatever point we are at, however damned or exalted we are, he is always aware of us and our potential and sorrows and joys for us.

As a mother, I don't picture ever forgetting my children no matter how big of a hole they have dug for themselves. Just because we don't have power over other people's agency doesn't mean we forget about them.

"wherefore should not the heavens weep, seeing these shall suffer?" Moses 7:37

I am not sure how happy we will be if those we love are suffering. I don't think it's a matter of numbing ourselves out to the suffering. Maybe it's more of a matter of being so aware of all the joy from those that are learning and choosing good, and all the potential for growth for those who haven't yet?

I think we see a great example of how this works when Christ visited the Nephites. In 3 Nephi 17 we read: 14 And it came to pass that when they had knelt upon the ground, Jesus groaned within himself, and said: Father, I am troubled because of the wickedness of the people of the house of Israel.

Then he prays great and amazing things for the people, after which he says: 20 Blessed are ye because of your faith. And now behold, my joy is full.

I think even within the divine characteristic of omniscience it is possible to be aware of something without always dwelling upon it. 

10 hours ago, laronius said:

I think even within the divine characteristic of omniscience it is possible to be aware of something without always dwelling upon it. 

Agree!  Same for us-  even our kids that choose stupidity in some aspects of their lives have other excellent attributes, there are so many good things to be aware of at the same time.

There is an LDS hymn that comes to mind, “That in his suffering I have part and hold a place within his heart”.  Love grows for those for whom we willingly suffer for even when they are not aware.

The Traveler