Blessed are the Peacemakers Question

Hello, thanks for having me on your forum. In the scriptures, the Savior says, "Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God." I know we are taught that every person born into this world is a "Child of God." So what does the Savior mean by his statement that peacemakers will be called "children of God?" Are we all not already children of God? Thanks so much for any help

5 hours ago, Michael Hickman said:

Hello, thanks for having me on your forum. In the scriptures, the Savior says, "Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God." I know we are taught that every person born into this world is a "Child of God." So what does the Savior mean by his statement that peacemakers will be called "children of God?" Are we all not already children of God? Thanks so much for any help

Welcome to the forum @Michael Hickman.  I hope to hear more of your journey.

Anciently the term “Children of ______” was often used to make reference to a covenant.  The blank in the phrase is a reference to the source of the convenient or the proctor of the covenant.  This also applies to the phrase “Son of _____”.

The concept of peace or a peace maker is someone that is able to end the cycle of vengeance through repentance and forgiveness.  In the L-rd’s prayer the concept of asking G-d to forgive us our trespass as we forgive our trespassers is the type and shadow of a peacemaker – this is in opposition to seeking revenge for those that trespass against us.

The model is very simple.  The basis of our forgiveness to enter into covenant with G-d is to seek forgiveness of our sins and also to forgive others of their sins – especially those that do us harm.  This ends the cycles of violence and is the only path to peace.  This is the essence of Baptism and the beginning of becoming a Saint of G-d the standard of which in a society is plural and can properly be called “the Children of G-d”.

The Traveler

5 hours ago, Michael Hickman said:

Yes, we are all offspring of deity.

But then we see the words of Jesus in Matthew 3:9 And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.

And when the Pharisees and Sadducees heard these words they were offended.

We must ask what was Jesus Christ trying to convey?  And why were the Pharisees and Sadducees offended?

Also, see John 5:1-5

1 Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him.
2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.
3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.
4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.

Thus it is one thing to be an offspring of God.  It is something else to be spiritually begotten of Jesus Christ.

Jesus was insinuating that the Pharisees and Sadducees were only the offspring of God.  That they were not following God & that they would not be accepted as his true children.

Being part of the covenant means more than simply being born into the right family.  You have to participate within the covenant and try to live your life in accordance with the example that Christ provided.

Christ during the beatitudes is explaining that those who are peacemakers are following Christ.

The Pharisees and Sadducees were not peacemakers.

I would add two notes:

1. That we are the spirit children of God is something that can be said in the past and present tense, and in a sense, about our spirits (not that it ever ends, but it's a way of looking at it).  This verse is about the future - what they will be called - and as the others have said, that has to do with covenants and the ultimate end of covenant keeping - inheriting eternal life, becoming the children of Christ.

2. If we look at this verse in Isaiah, it adds a dimension to what it means to be a peacemaker - not just someone who stops contention or violence, not just someone who helps folks get along, but someone who publishes the gospel:

Isaiah 52:7 ¶ How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation; that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth!

And this verse:

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

...when Christ speaks of peace, it's on a whole other level than what the world usually means.  Peace with God, through him, of him, through the gift of the Holy Ghost.  Helping others to find this peace would make one truly a peacemaker.

14 minutes ago, Michael Hickman said:

@zil2 Wow, very enlightening! I would have never have thought of that. Thank you

:) Neither would I - my Stake President pointed it out. And you're very welcome!

21 hours ago, Michael Hickman said:

Welcome to the forum.

In addition to what others have mentioned, I believe the phrase child of God also describes a specific
group of people in the spiritual sense, for Jesus referred to some as children of the devil.

This is from Romans 8:14-17. I will bold the key parts.

For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. For ye have not received the
spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba,
Father. The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: And if children,
then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ
; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be
also glorified together.

If what Isaiah says in 65:22 is true, then I think in the latter days many might be more inclined to say blessed are the pacemakers

They shall not build, and another inhabit; they shall not plant, and another eat: for as the days of a atree are the days of my people, and mine elect shall long enjoy the work of their hands.

I'm not going to be able to add much to this discussion than the answers that have already been given; however, I think the addition will provide additional thoughts. When I think about the question provided I think about what has already been shared above, and I think about God's intercessory prayer with regards to his apostles. The Lord prayed the following (particularly chapter 17):

1. "I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine."

2. "They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world."

3. "Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth."

4. "Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;"

5. "And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:"

These verses, and others in this chapter, highlight to me the separation that happens when we become spiritually begotten by the Savior. We have accepted the Savior. We follow the Savior. We have become his elect, possibly "chosen". The children of God are "sheep" not "lambs," which provides the same notion of separating his children (those who have been given him by the Father). And to be a "peacemaker" ultimately means we are following the Savior.

Having the unfortunate experience of two siblings now who have left the Church, I can totally see what a peacemaker is and what a peacemaker is not. And sadly it is easy to see how they are no longer "children of God" in this sense the Lord is referencing.