The times of the Pioneers

The other day my family and I watched 17 Miracles. I found myself wishing we could have a gathering of saints like they had. The entire message of the film was about going to Zion and I love it. I am so very tired of the garbage of our current times. Living in our times is 100 times more difficult than when the Kingdom of the Saints was on this world.

Zion will be established only when God establishes it, and that will happen only when those on the earth yearn for Zion so intensely that they are willing to give up sin and selfishness to have it. I hope but do not expect to see Zion established in my lifetime.

Something missing is what else was going on at the time when the “Mormon” pioneers migrated to the western US.  I will make a partial list:

1The Saints were forced to leave the USA to ensure their religious freedom.  When they left for the western regions, it was not in the USA.  It is odd that the US government help finance the move west through the “Mormon” battalion sent to fight the Spanish American war.  This put a great hard ship on the initial Saints because many of the most fit men were removed.

2. During the first migration of the Saints one in every five died at Winter Quarters.   The large majority of deaths were young mothers and their children under the age of 1.

3. The vast majority were not the initial mature convert members.  If it were not for the new converts, mostly from Europe, the move west would not likely have occurred or succeeded.  Sometimes I think we discount the importance of new converts (or the renewal of our own conversions).

4. Not one of the witnesses that officially signed as witness of the Book of Mormon came west with the Saint migration.

5. This was not a good time for anyone in Europe as well – especially for poorer classes.  Those that came were not giving up as much as one might think.

6. Most members now days think it too much of a hardship kind of sacrifice to help clean their meeting houses – but, as always, there are some.  Perhaps because they have or are obtaining extra oil for their lamps.

The Traveler

34 minutes ago, Traveler said:

6. Most members now days think it too much of a hardship kind of sacrifice to help clean their meeting houses – but, as always, there are some.  Perhaps because they have or are obtaining extra oil for their lamps.

The Traveler

I like Bednar's analogy from the 2012 April Conference:

Please think of the lamps used by the virgins as the lamps of testimony. The foolish virgins took their lamps of testimony but took no oil with them. Consider the oil to be the oil of conversion...

...Were the five wise virgins selfish and unwilling to share, or were they indicating correctly that the oil of conversion cannot be borrowed? Can the spiritual strength that results from consistent obedience to the commandments be given to another person? Can the knowledge obtained through diligent study and pondering of the scriptures be conveyed to one who is in need? Can the peace the gospel brings to a faithful Latter-day Saint be transferred to an individual experiencing adversity or great challenge? The clear answer to each of these questions is no.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/general-conference/2012/10/converted-unto-the-lord?lang=eng 

4 hours ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

I like Bednar's analogy from the 2012 April Conference:

When it comes to testimonies – I think of the old saying, “Your actions thunder so loudly in my ears, I cannot hear a word you are saying.”

The Traveler