Hurricaine Hilary

Carborendum

My son's (not) fiancée is serving a mission in LA.  She mentioned that Hilary was downgraded to a tropical storm over the weekend.  But the mission pres still texted all the missionaries to hunker down in their apartments.  She didn't think it was that big of a storm.  But the problem is that LA streets and drainage systems aren't designed for the kinds of storms that we see in Houston.

Additionally, when they were home, the had an earthquake.  I looked it up.  It was only a 2.5.  I don't know how far she was from the epicenter.  Must have been fairly close to be able to feel the shaking of a 2.5.  When I hear someone making a big deal out of a 2.5, I can't help but think "cry-baby."  But she thought it was fun.  Growing up in Texas meant she's never been through an earthquake before.

The tropical storm provided some photo ops.

20230819_193745.thumb.jpg.b39ddac8c9d9b2623fd56441c24d05a4.jpg

Edited by Carborendum

People don't understand that at any given moment, there are a bunch of earthquakes happening somewhere.  In the last 24 hours, there have been 3 in Cali, and 4 in Texas.  It's a normal day.

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/?extent=20.09532,-128.32195&extent=52.56177,-76.37859&listOnlyShown=true

1 hour ago, NeuroTypical said:

People don't understand that at any given moment, there are a bunch of earthquakes happening somewhere.  In the last 24 hours, there have been 3 in Cali, and 4 in Texas.  It's a normal day.

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/?extent=20.09532,-128.32195&extent=52.56177,-76.37859&listOnlyShown=true

Those are all very low.  And the ones in Texas are in fairly unpopulated areas.  so, we wouldn't notice.

• Very sensitive people will be able to detect a 1.0, but they most likely don't know what caused the sensation. 
  • Most people may notice "something" like a slight loss of balance with a 2.0. 
  • Between 2.0 and 3.0 people can hear a low rumble.  But it isn't severe.  It is similar to feeling a heavy truck roll by the roadway next to a building.
  • Somewhere around a 3.3 the building code requires some special analysis to determine if anything special needs to be done.
  • So, when I recall the line in ID4 when Vivica Fox's character said "It's not even a 4-pointer.  Go back to bed," That's probably a good attitude.  But I'd put it at around a 3.5

There are about a dozen variables in this regard.  So, for any situation, these approximations could be off by quite a bit.

Edited by Carborendum

1 hour ago, mikbone said:

IMG_0846.thumb.jpeg.2da0f1b50180ecb39acc2c7095225ab6.jpeg

That was a day AFTER the one she had described.

Yes, a 5.1 is pretty strong.  I don't know how much it affected Los Angeles, about 50 miles away.  Nor do I know the exact location of where this missionary was stationed.

I expect I'll be hearing about it in next week's email.

Edited by Carborendum