The Incredible Shrinking Book of Mormon?

Jamie123

I didn't post this question in the Reading Group section because it's a bit silly and trivial, and I'm only mentioning it at all to put off doing any serious work this morning.

I have had three copies of the Book of Mormon over the years. The first copy was given to me when the sisters first came to visit. I read about the first quarter of it, and a bit in the middle. (In fact the most I ever read until we started the Reading Group here.) A few years later I gave that copy back - mostly because I'd started dating a "seriously Christian girl" (you know the type) who didn't approve of "Mormonism" - as we then called it. Like the stupid young man I was, I was "out to impress", so I made a special trip back to the meeting house to "return" the Book of Mormon and Gospel Principles. I kept telling myself I was Prospero "drowning his book". (Stupid young men can be very pretentious!)

Anyway, quite a bit later (I'd moved to London by this time) two more sisters came and gave me another copy. As far as I could make out this was identical to the first. I don't believe I ever read it. I still have it somewhere at the back of a cupboard.

Later still, while my wife* and daughter were out of the country, I went to visit the London England Temple at Newchapel, where I met former BYU-professor Michael Pinegar and his wife Rebecca - daughter (though I didn't know this at the time) of Apostle Bruce McConkie. I had a very nice chat with them, after which they insisted on giving me yet another copy. This is the copy I have now.

It is considerably thinner than the other two. Why is this? The copyright date says 1981 and 2013 - so I'm guessing that in 2013 they started using thinner paper? (Though it doesn't seem any thinner.) I doubt they'd have cut any of the text out. Also I don't think there are as many pictures as I remember. One of these days I'm going to have to dig out my other copy and compare them.

For the past few years it's sat under my desk atop a pile of other books, while I regarded it with a mixture of fascination and awe - something exciting but potentially dangerous. I was like someone who'd kept himself pure all his life** looking at an unopened copy of Lady Chatterley's Lover. The "me" who started reading it all those years ago was an atheist, so at least I'd had that protection. What would it do to me now?

Reading it now with you guys has taken its mystique away and I'm quite glad of it. I'm even starting to enjoy the story, and find it interesting! Thanks to everyone for this!

*Not the "seriously Christian girl". A totally other woman.

**Unlike me.

Edited by Jamie123

Yes, you're right about the lack of pictures, I can't remember when they were taken out but its been several years now that we've had an almost pictureless Book of Mormon. From memory, there are some pictures in the front of the version usually used by missionaries, but not within the text of the book.

I believe they are using thinner paper now than they used to. The books today aren't as thick as the ones I used as a missionary a long ago. 

You're right about no text having been removed, but I suspect there have been some changes to numerous chapter headings over the years. 

A change that I noticed only a short time ago, after I brought myself a new set of scriptures in July is that my new Book of Mormon no longer has the estimated dates/time periods at the bottom of each page. In older editions, you could also check at the bottom of the page to see somebody's calculation as to approximately when the events written on the page were taking place. Again, I'm not sure when or why that was stopped. 

After some research, it's not the number of pages.  When they made the 2013 changes, they intentionally kept the page count and content of each page the same as the 1981 version so that people with old and new versions wouldn't struggle with what page to turn to (if page number was referenced in a class, for example).

Some minor text changes were made in 2013 (see here, and here).  There used to be a download showing the changes, but I can't find it now.

Anywho, given the pagination consistency, I'd guess the size change amounts to: thinner paper, fewer blank and / or reference pages, possibly the thickness of the cover material, and removing the images.

6 hours ago, zil2 said:

Some minor text changes were made in 2013 (see here, and here).  There used to be a download showing the changes, but I can't find it now.

A summary is here.  There used to be a more detailed version that at the moment, I can’t find either.  

There is a movie being released about part of the Book of Mormon very soon.  It was directed by a member of the Church and will be released December 8th 2023.  The movie is called: The Oath.  I am very happy and waiting to see it.

The website is here:

https://oathmovie.com/

7 hours ago, Still_Small_Voice said:

There is a movie being released about part of the Book of Mormon very soon.  It was directed by a member of the Church and will be released December 8th 2023.  The movie is called: The Oath.  I am very happy and waiting to see it.

The website is here:

https://oathmovie.com/

Isn't that by the same guy who was working on the title of liberty movie?  He's now making one about Moroni, I guess.

6 hours ago, person0 said:

Isn't that by the same guy who was working on the title of liberty movie?  He's now making one about Moroni, I guess.

Hooray!  It's @person0!  I hope you'll stick around for a while. :)  I'm sure I'm not the only one who's missed your contributions.

10 hours ago, person0 said:

Yes.  Darin Scott is the director of The Oath movie.  It is about the last Moroni who buried up the golden plates in the Earth.  If this movie is successful he plans on making more movies about the Captain Moroni in the book of Alma.

At the website is the movie preview.  If you like what you see show up and support it come December 8th, 2023.