Which religion is right?

prisonchaplain

The following is from a section on "soul winning," under the FAQ section. I co-authored this with a Vietnamese pastor about 12 years ago.

1. Religion is humanity's attempt to find God.

a. All religions claim to be right.

b. You must decide which one is.

2. God's Word says that they are all wrong. Instead, God finds us.

a. According to John 14:6 Jesus says that He is the only way, truth and life, and that the only way to God is through him.

b. Only Christians recognize correctly who Jesus is, and try to follow him.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

>>> Pretty much, its to give us a hope for something more then just being some life form on a planet

>>> I would think so. If you don't clam to be right, then you clam to be wrong?

>>> You are on the that has to decide but you aren't alone in the processes as you suggest. Studying it out and prayer (as the bible says) can provide answers to which is right and which is wrong.

>>> Where does it says that "they" are all wrong? God does fine us, but only if we are looking

a. According to John 14:6 Jesus says that He is the only way, truth and life, and that the only way to God is through him.

>>> Salvation is only through Christ, we can't make it to "Heaven" with out the Atonement of Jesus Christ

>>> They Recognize that they need him, but I would say they don't all recognize him correctly. Most Christian religions have different interpretations of who Christ really was! This then starts your process all over again.

I was merely pointing out the dilemma of different religions all claiming to be true. I'm not sure how to read the tone of your response. :huh:

[b. You must decide which one is.

>>> You are on the that has to decide but you aren't alone in the processes as you suggest. Studying it out and prayer (as the bible says) can provide answers to which is right and which is wrong.

Of course I never implied that you must decide which religion is true without God's help. If there is a true God who wishes to reconcile with his creation, then of course he will help us find him.

>>> Where does it says that "they" are all wrong? God does fine us, but only if we are looking

God so loved the world that He sent his only Son...I'm simply showing that God made the first effort--we respond to his love, rather than having to search God out. We open our eyes and find He's been right here all along.

>>> Salvation is only through Christ, we can't make it to "Heaven" with out the Atonement of Jesus Christ

I think we're on the same side here.

>>> They Recognize that they need him, but I would say they don't all recognize him correctly. Most Christian religions have different interpretations of who Christ really was! This then starts your process all over again.

I have to disagree with you on this one. Most Christians agree on who Jesus is, and what his nature is.

Hidden

I was merely pointing out the dilemma of different religions all claiming to be true. I'm not sure how to read the tone of your response. :huh:

[b. You must decide which one is.

Of course I never implied that you must decide which religion is true without God's help. If there is a true God who wishes to reconcile with his creation, then of course he will help us find him.

God so loved the world that He sent his only Son...I'm simply showing that God made the first effort--we respond to his love, rather than having to search God out. We open our eyes and find He's been right here all along.

I think we're on the same side here.

I have to disagree with you on this one. Most Christians agree on who Jesus is, and what his nature is.

All religion is based on the same principles, much of the confusion is merely semantics. Every human being has a calling and a purpose. We are given the necessary truths to that end. Men of various understanding in all places of the world are given only that which is required for their test on this earth. I make no assumption that those who have not received the manifestation by the Holy Ghost of the truth of the Restoration and this new dispensation are less worthy or less important than those who have.

Indeed it is our testimony that it is true that the LORD has, in the 19th Century, appeared to men and restored great knowledge. Wonderful things that were lost and others that were hidden away by prophets have come forth. These things are the work of Jesus Christ. They are the marvelous work and the wonder looked forward to by prophets of old.

There is only one truth. We have but one LORD over this earth, the LORD Jesus Christ. But we need not think that those who know not this truth are enemies of the truth. For there are many that know this truth who are enemies of righteousness, and many who know it not that are of the utmost integrity.

-a-train

The following is from a section on "soul winning," under the FAQ section. I co-authored this with a Vietnamese pastor about 12 years ago.

Would this definition apply to religions that do not believe in God?

Right is in the eyes of the beholder. A religions members apply differing claims based on their own understanding of their religion as well as others.

Doesn't the spirit act as a witness to those who seek the truth with a pure heart?

Hmm! Even if one doesn't want to be found?

True, along with Baptism, and obediance to his commandments

Correctly, is still based on their own understanding of who he is. This differs based on each individuals study, knowledge, and understanding and by the help of the Holy Ghost

Well, in the South Park move when all of man kind is about to be usherd into hell because the USA went to war with Canada they are given the oportunity to ask questions. The man on the stage says, "Before you are all led off to eternal damnation and hell fire do any of you have any questions, comments, etc.." And a man in the front row asks, "Ya, um, so who got it right?" And the man on stage looking a bit uncomfortable mumbles, "Uh, it was the Mormons...it was the Mormons. Any other questions?"

I think that proves it. ^_^

Ah yes. You have to love that Mormon "We are right, everyone else is wrong" attitude. I find it annoying and wrong.

The correct LDS attitude is actually, "We believe, or know by the testimony of the Holy Ghost, that we are right, but also that the rest of Christianity has a good portion of the Light, or in other words, the Truth and the Word of God, and that other religions, which seek to do good, also have some of the Light."

"The correct LDS attitude is actually, "We believe, or know by the testimony of the Holy Ghost, that we are right, but also that the rest of Christianity has a good portion of the Light, or in other words, the Truth and the Word of God, and that other religions, which seek to do good, also have some of the Light.""

You forgot to add on the end: But yes we believe we are the most correct religion and everyone else is wrong.

I'm pretty sure that if you are not a member of the Church you will not go to hell...

While we believe that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is the true church here on earth, we don't believe that all members therein will be saved because of the poor choices in life that they may make. Therefore not all Mormons will be saved.

There are also those souls, who in life, will not have had the opportunity to hear the true gospel and become converted. They will have that chance in the next life before they are judged to accept or decline that truth. Therefore there are those that never became Mormons who will also be saved.

Blindly? If that's what you say. But I think I pertain more to verse 16 here.

15 For this people’s heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

16 But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear.

17 For verily I say unto you, That many prophets and righteous men have desired to see those things which ye see, and have not seen them; and to hear those things which ye hear, and have not heard them.

So now I'm a blind and deaf guy? Lovely...

Let me get this straight. First you accuse us of believing "that stuff" (pertaining to my reply) blindly, then VisionOfLehi replies what pertains to him and you reply with what seems an accusation that we are judging you? What part do you find lovely?

Would this definition apply to religions that do not believe in God?

Yes, though rather than God, one might search for ultimate peace, freedom from desire, heaven, nothingness, etc.

Doesn't the spirit act as a witness to those who seek the truth with a pure heart?

You must decide . . . You must seek . . . we're on the same page here, imho.

Hmm! Even if one doesn't want to be found?

He finds us...but he won't force himself on us. Thus the discussion about seeking/deciding in the previous question.

True, along with Baptism, and obediance to his commandments

We return to a frequent discussion here about whether obedience to commands, good works, and sacraments, such as water baptism, are the mile markers towards salvation, or the fruit of conversion/salvation. I argue for the latter.

Correctly, is still based on their own understanding of who he is. This differs based on each individuals study, knowledge, and understanding and by the help of the Holy Ghost

Understanding that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the living God, is not subject to 2.2 billion different interpretations. Yes, Jesus' relationship with me is personal...yet his basic roles as prophet priest and king are universal.

"The correct LDS attitude is actually, "We believe, or know by the testimony of the Holy Ghost, that we are right, but also that the rest of Christianity has a good portion of the Light, or in other words, the Truth and the Word of God, and that other religions, which seek to do good, also have some of the Light.""

You forgot to add on the end: But yes we believe we are the most correct religion and everyone else is wrong.

I'm pretty sure that if you are not a member of the Church you will not go to hell...

I guess it's a glass half empty half full situation. If I say chocolate cake is more delicious than yellow cake, one yellow cake lover might view it as me expressing my love for chocolate cake. Another might take it as, "You're wrong."

But needing to save all yellow cake lovers from it's soul-destroying properties Morning Star? It's just yellow cake and a matter of personal taste...banana or chocolate...

of course if you don't like banana then you need to be healed ...noooooohhhhhhhh

I am not having this conversation LOL.

But needing to save all yellow cake lovers from it's soul-destroying properties Morning Star? It's just yellow cake and a matter of personal taste...banana or chocolate...

of course if you don't like banana then you need to be healed ...noooooohhhhhhhh

I am not having this conversation LOL.

I'm sorry, but chocolate lovers have the truth. :D