Even if I wanted to be a Member it will never happen...

kona0197

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No this area is not touristy. But we only have one bike shop in town and he needs some competition...

Yeah he does! :D

My brother used to work in a bike shop. He seemed to like it quite a bit, except when people accused him of lying. He told one customer he really liked this one pair of gloves and that he owned them. The guy said, "You're just saying that because you're trying to sell them to me." That really bothered him, so he marched right out to his car, grabbed his own pair, and showed them to him. Then he apologized. :)

I know a couple at my ward, the g/f is a member of the church..was baptised 7 years ago, I think her b/f might be a member too, having met and spoken to him only once, but they are living together, unmarried, but are still members...all right, they won't have access to all things fully active members have, but they are still members (a little active/inactive at times).

I don't know their full story, but I do know that she always refers to him as her 'boyfriend', in church and out of church, they were at my Baptism, we were talking to them towards the end of the refreshments time after the Baptism..she's in a wheelchair most of the time but I can't remember whether she was in it that evening, not sure if you can remember the couple..

a lot depends on the Bishop/branch president we have had at least 1 who didn't push excommunication for people who hadn't been through the Temple until they were ready to repent and come back and another who pushed for everyone to be excommunicated

-Charley

I don't know their full story, but I do know that she always refers to him as her 'boyfriend', in church and out of church, they were at my Baptism, we were talking to them towards the end of the refreshments time after the Baptism..she's in a wheelchair most of the time but I can't remember whether she was in it that evening, not sure if you can remember the couple..

I don't remember anyone in a wheelchair (How can I not notice a wheelchair? You'll be surprised what I can manage to not notice!)and if I'm thinking of the right couple I wasn't sure if he was a member or not. He sounded like he knows a lot about the church but I got the feeling he wasn't a member. A bit like my husband. He can tell you all sorts of things and sounds LDS but has no intentions of becoming a member.

Probably not but that's why I would have a computer shop as well. I do build computers for people and so far this year business is good.

That's cool! You could start a business with the computer stuff alone. My friend's husband was talking about doing a computer maintenance business where he comes over and gives them a good cleaning and do some other maintenance for people who don't know how.

Quite extensively...

Awesome! That could be part of your business if you wanted to.

I noticed this house nearby where they always have old bikes covering their lawn. I think they fix them up and sell them. My dad has made some good money fixing up guitars and selling them for more on Craigslist.

That's cool! You could start a business with the computer stuff alone. My friend's husband was talking about doing a computer maintenance business where he comes over and gives them a good cleaning and do some other maintenance for people who don't know how.

That's basically what I do know yet as a hobby I only charge 20 dollars. I build new computers starting around 250 dollars.

Speaking of bikes I'm talking about fixing some that cost thousands. Been there. Done that. Invested in many special bike tools already.

That's basically what I do know yet as a hobby I only charge 20 dollars. I build new computers starting around 250 dollars.

Speaking of bikes I'm talking about fixing some that cost thousands. Been there. Done that. Invested in many special bike tools already.

That's cool. That's how I started out seventeen years ago. One tool at a time.

I don't remember anyone in a wheelchair (How can I not notice a wheelchair? You'll be surprised what I can manage to not notice!)and if I'm thinking of the right couple I wasn't sure if he was a member or not. He sounded like he knows a lot about the church but I got the feeling he wasn't a member. A bit like my husband. He can tell you all sorts of things and sounds LDS but has no intentions of becoming a member.

Willow, I'm not surprised at all that you didn't notice the wheelchair, especially as I can't remember if she was in it that night either, lol!

I think you are onto the right couple, I suppose I did assume he was LDS because of his perceived knowledge of the church, but I could be mistaken, I've only seen my friend at church one other time and he wasn't with her.

You might wonder why after all the things I've said here about investigating the church why I haven't joined the Church. I would like to join. The fact is I just can't.

You see it mostly has to do with the Social Security laws. The laws state that should my girlfriend and I get married she would lose her income. She is on Social Security. I only make about 700 a month at work therefore we need that income to survive.

The church says we can not become members until we get married as we live together.

So as you see I can't become a member.

I am NOT willing to let her lose her income and become a member just to end up homeless.

So flame on....

I still think the church asks to much of us.

Good point but what is more important - the world or eternalty? :confused:

Hey Kona...you probably won't live for your whole life in the place that you are living now...life seldom works out that way...it can... the percentages aren't great. When things change...new doors open up and old doors close. Yadda yadda. Life's a challenge.If you have a great situation though, hold onto it.

Having moved around a lot, sometimes finding a place to call home and rent out can be consuming and uncertain and a peaceful and safe home is sometimes undervalued. But the streets are not an option and I certainly don't think that is a choice you should make. I just get the feeling that in a year you have really thought through all other options and they're not available or possible at the moment and it's like banging your head against a brick wall kind of thingy: damned if I do, damned if I don't. You're not damned if you don't. God sees your heart.

That being said, if you want to become a member of the church it may be something in the future. You don't have to close the door on that one. As disheartening as it is to have no choice for now. I know it's not just for you that you are thinking: your family and such as well and in order to meet responsibilities (work and so on). I see it as a faithfulness and stewardship thingy. Sometimes you can't do all that you want and throw everything aside.

It's just one of those things. Sometimes we can't help the life situation we're in. But there's always hope....yep, blind and fruitless at times, but essentially nice to have however frustrating and sometimes things work out unpredictably and bless that hope. Stay strong.

OK everyone here is another look into the way I think:

The Church teaches that if I continue to live like this I will end up in one of the lower Kingdoms.

Guess what? That's fine with me.

As long as I don't burn forever I'm fine wherever I end up.

I would love to burn to clean those spotted garments. However, darkness and loneliness is not a good thing.

I guess you need a 'peek' into what 'is' and what can 'be'.

The Church teaches that if I continue to live like this I will end up in one of the lower Kingdoms.

Guess what? That's fine with me.

Yeah, I hear that. Given the definition/description of this version of God, and the folks who will be in the CK, I think I'd rather be in a lower Kingdom as well. Nothing against those folks or that God per se.... to each their own.... just a "different strokes" sort of thing.