prophet's children

Guest Kamperfoelie

I'm not sure about today, but the basic history is that Joseph III stayed with Emma when the bulk of the saints moved west. Eventually he let himself get talked into taking the reigns of the RLDS church (now the CoC). From what I hear, they were big on familial succession, although there hasn't been a descendant of Joseph leading their church for a while.

There is an incomplete DNA project out there, trying to identify children of Joseph from his polygamist wives, but so far they haven't been able to find any. They have ruled out some people who thought they were his descendants.

LM

This might be more info than you wanted, but here's what I've got for the current state of DNA testing:

UNPROVEN CLAIMS:

Josephine Lyon (Birth: February 8, 1844)

Mother: Sylvia Sessions Lyon

Father: Windsor Lyon

Frank Henry Hyde (Birth: January 23, 1845, 1846?)

Mother: Marinda Johnson Hyde

Father: Orson Hyde

JOSEPH SMITH PROVEN NOT THE FATHER:

Moroni Pratt (Birth: December 7, 1844)

Mother: Mary Ann Frost

Father: Parley P. Pratt (Joseph Smith proven not to be the father via DNA research)

Zebulon Jacobs (Birth: January 2, 1842)

Mother: Zina Huntington Jacobs

Father: Henry Jacobs (Joseph Smith proven not to be the father via DNA research)

Oliver Buell (Birth: 1838 – 39)

Mother: Presendia Huntington Buell

Father: Norman Buell (Joseph Smith proven not to be the father via DNA research)

John Reed Hancock (Birth: April 19, 1841)

Mother: Clarissa Reed Hancock

Father: Levi Hancock (Joseph Smith proven not to be the father via DNA research)

Orrison Smith (Birth: unknown)

Mother: Fanny Alger

Father: Solomon Custer?? (Joseph Smith proven not to be the father via DNA research)

CANNOT BE TESTED (DIED AS INFANTS:)

George Algernon Lightner (Birth: March 22, 1842)

Mother: Mary Rollins Lightner

Father: Adam Lightner

Orson Washington Hyde (Birth: November 9, 1843)

Mother: Marinda Johnson Hyde

Father: Orson Hyde

Guest User-Removed

Just out of curiosity: does the line of Joseph Smith survive to this day, and are any or all them still active in the church?

There are several direct descendants of Joseph and Emma in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints...

Here's one that comes quickly to mind...

LDS.org - Ensign Article - My Great-Great-Grandmother, Emma Hale Smith

Guest User-Removed

I'm not sure about today, but the basic history is that Joseph III stayed with Emma when the bulk of the saints moved west. Eventually he let himself get talked into taking the reigns of the RLDS church (now the CoC). From what I hear, they were big on familial succession, although there hasn't been a descendant of Joseph leading their church for a while.

There is an incomplete DNA project out there, trying to identify children of Joseph from his polygamist wives, but so far they haven't been able to find any. They have ruled out some people who thought they were his descendants.

LM

LM...I do believe that JSIII was what....11 or 12 years old when his Father and Uncle were martyred????

Yes...Zenos Gurley, and Edward Banta(?) some years after the martyrdom "talked" JSIII into becoming the "Prophet" of the RLDS. When I was a kid, the RLDS were called "Josephites" and we were called "Brighamites".

I've attached a link to an excellent Bio on JSIII

Roger D. Launius / Joseph Smith III: Pragmatic Prophet

I'm also attaching a link to a wikipedia "article" on JSIII, although, I'll say in advance that it's full of codswallop...

Joseph Smith III - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For many years the RLDS believed and practiced that the mantle of the Prophet fell from Father to Son. In a couple of instances, the mantle was passed to Uncles, but for the most part the RLDS "Prophet" was a lineal male descendant of the Prophet Joseph and Emma Smith. UNTIL....sometime in the late 70's or 80's...can't recall, that the last Smith "Prophet" realized that all he had were daughters...Suddenly he had a "revelation" authorizing the priesthood to be granted to women. This caused a major schism. Women were granted th Aaronic Priesthood in the RLDS. Later, there was another "revelation" in which women were allowed to be called to their apostleship.

If I remember right, KSL had a feature story on a family reunion of the Joseph Smith Sr. family a few years ago. Some had joined the Brigham Church, some had stayed with the Smith Church and others had left both Churches entirely. It seemed they all enjoyed meeting long lost relatives.

Guest User-Removed

If I remember right, KSL had a feature story on a family reunion of the Joseph Smith Sr. family a few years ago. Some had joined the Brigham Church, some had stayed with the Smith Church and others had left both Churches entirely. It seemed they all enjoyed meeting long lost relatives.

It was the Bicentennial of the birth of the Prophet Joseph...I was there. They Church also held events at the birthplace in Sharon, Vermont.

There is no Brigham Church...as there is no Smith Church.

There is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, containing the fullness of the Gospel as restored by God through his Prophet Joseph.

Then there is the apostate RLDS, now know as the Community of Christ.

Guest User-Removed

In my opinion LDS are apostate. I am a member of the Community of Christ.

Dale...If I were in your shoes, I'd prolly say the same thing. Although, I must tell you, there are many "Reorganites" who have left your faith since; 1. The "revelation" granting the Priesthood to women, 2. The resignation of W. Grant MacMurray.

Dale said:

If I believed that a restoration did occur through Joseph Smith, then I would have to agree with Dale; the RLDS church would be the correct one.

Guest User-Removed

Dale said:If I believed that a restoration did occur through Joseph Smith, then I would have to agree with Dale; the RLDS church would be the correct one.

I'm curious...you seem to be very anti LDS...why are you here???

Dale...If I were in your shoes, I'd prolly say the same thing. Although, I must tell you, there are many "Reorganites" who have left your faith since; 1. The "revelation" granting the Priesthood to women, 2. The resignation of W. Grant MacMurray.

The LDS have lots of people who leave for various reasons. We only have 250,000 members. Many of those who left are still loyal RLDS they just doubt the direction of the church. To me that people leave does not effect the basic truth of our starting position. the Book of Mormon is true no matter how many people struggle with it. Succession In Presidency and Authority by Russel F. Ralston answers the LDS objections to our claim's. Its online in the LDS Issues section of the Centerplace Library.

Women in the priesthood is not a divisive one as much as it was in 1984. The Restoration RLDS did not like it, but who say's a prophet has to give ideas that the members like? Those who did not like it formed a series of independent churches. They are waiting for God to send a prophet to correct what they perceive as errors in the church.

Personally i like President W. Grant McMurray. He suffered from Parkinson's. Plus he felt whatever sin he was guilty of prevented him from continuing in office. The D.&C. say's a president of the church can be in transgression. Why would the Lord give a way to try a president of the church in a church court if that could never happen? Ex-communication is one way to handle it, but resignation is another way to handle it.

Then there is the apostate RLDS, now know as the Community of Christ.

Let's stop with the name calling please.

Maureen is here because she wants to be here. She is NOT anti-LDS, she is Lutheran I believe. Just because she shares a different view than you doesn't mean she's anti.

Let's keep it civil.

MyDogSkip said:

You think because I disagree with you MDS that I'm anti-LDS? Or because I asked you how old you are, which you have not answered yet, I'm anti-LDS. If I was anti-LDS, I doubt I would have close to 3000 posts on this message board. Do you believe that people who drink coffee, believe in the Trinity or any number of non-LDS actions are anti-LDS?I hope not, if so, your persecution complex is showing.

Guest User-Removed

Frankly...I will admit I am at a loss as to why someone who is not LDS wants to hang out on an LDS thread. Clearly from the negative comments I've read from you...it's not to gain a testimony of the Restoration????

So tell me...what is the attraction?

Edited to remove insult to other member ~ Canuck

3. Personal attacks, name calling, flaming, and judgments against other members will not be tolerated.

Frankly...I will admit I am at a loss as to why someone who is not LDS wants to hang out on an LDS thread. Clearly from the negative comments I've read from you...it's not to gain a testimony of the Restoration????

So tell me...what is the attraction?

I already have a testimony of God's love and gloriousness for humankind, and more specifically for myself. And LDS.net (aka LDSTalk) is a great place to talk to other like-minded people. The majority of posters here are not prejudice against those who are not exactly like them; the majority are very open-minded and welcoming. You could take a few lessons MDS.

M.