• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that black tea and green tea fall under the "no tea" but there are herbs that are good for the body. I won't claim to be an authority on the matter but here's a good place to start. Let the Spirit (and your bishop) direct you.

LDS.org - Search (Tea)

Oh right i was told by the missionries that green tea was allowed, they even drank it with us at buffet island ( a chinese resteraunt). Than you i will speak to the bishop though and let the spirit guide me.

The difference here is whether or not it's an actual tea. We use the term "herbal tea", when what we really have is an herbal infusion, not a tea (unless, of course, it contains actual tea leaves along with the herbs).

It's my understanding that green tea and black tea are from the same plant, just different stages/processing.

I can't help having some judgmental feelings when it come to tobacco and alcohol.

When I think of tea however, I picture Queen Victoria and some snooty English matrons sitting around sipping tea and saying, "Tut tut, smashing crumpets, aye what?". Both low and high tea helps to keep them off the streets where they might otherwise cause a row.

:D

Hi, i know tea and coffee are forbidden, i was told by the missionries that certain tea's are allowed like, green herbal tea's etc, i wa wondering if this tea is allowed earl grey here is a discription on the link earl grey Twinings Speciality Tea - Aromatics, Earl Grey Tea !

Earl Grey is excellent tea but it is made from black tea leaves so it's a no no. The ONLY tea allowed under the WoW is herbal tea period....not decaf tea, green tea etc..Basically any tea made from tea leaves (black, green, white etc. is a no no!)

Earl Grey is excellent tea but it is made from black tea leaves so it's a no no. The ONLY tea allowed under the WoW is herbal tea period....not decaf tea, green tea etc..Basically any tea made from tea leaves (black, green, white etc. is a no no!)

Ah right thank you i brought green tea thinking it was allowed, oopsy from the missionries. So basicaly nothing from tea leaves period. Can i just ask this because i dont properly know what is it thats in tea and coffee thats makeds it harmfull ? Because i had differnt from differn missionries lol.

So, Lipton Herbal Mint tea (100% Caffeine Free) is ok?

Yes it is okay to drink.

As you can see the ingredient is Peppermint leaves. from this website: LIPTON Peppermint Herbal Tea - All Natural, All Flavor, No Caffeine

Lipton Herbal Teas:

LIPTON Peppermint Herbal Tea

Calm your mind and your senses with a cup of fragrant LIPTON Peppermint Herbal Tea. This all natural tea has no caffeine so it soothes every part of you.

Available in:

20 Tea Bags

Ingredients:

Peppermint leaves.

Nutrition Facts:

Serving Size 1 tea bag (1.5g)

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageAmount Per ServingCalories 0% Daily Value*Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageTotal Fat 0g0%Sodium 0mg0%Total Carbohydrate 0g0%

Personally, I get rather impatient with members of the church who try to "make a list" of those items that are OK for consumption and those that are not.

As previously suggested by another poster, if there is a substance, drink, food, etc. that one is questioning, go to the source for your information (Heavenly Father). Just remember he wants you to do your homework too. Read up on "green tea" if you are questioning whether or not it should be consumed.

Personally, my beverage of choice is water, purified if possible (I do drink the tap at home... I am too cheap to purchase bottled water... but at work they have purified water). I do not drink soda, alcohol, coffee, tea (herbal or not), kool-aide, or other beverages very often (alcohol, tea, or coffee never, now that I am a member!). I adopted this policy long before joining the church.

In fact the reason I stopped drinking all of these items was due to the story of Daniel in the Old Testament (Daniel 1:8-16). I felt as though many of the food and drink items offered by the world were not good. So, I adopted the idea that I would eat only "wholesome" foods, and drinking only water, except during special occasions where I would splurge and have one of my favorite drinks, root beer. When I was introduced to the church, I was pleased to hear that the principles I had lived were official scripture.

Basically, what I am trying to say is: listen to the spirit. Do not get bogged down with the lists of what is wrong to consume and what is OK. Listen to the spirit and you will never go wrong.

My humble opinion.

James

PS

It is OK to ask questions. Just remember that Heavenly Father is the ultimate authority. Talk to your bishop, church friends, doctor, or whoever else. Take their guidance and ponder it. Then when you have come to a conclusion with what you have found out, ask Heavenly Father if that conclusion is correct.

I must admit it is all very confusing, maybe i should move to a mormon dominated town or somthing, the place were i live atm is a hellhole in all honesty. I live in newcastle under lyme which is next door neighbour to stoke on trent, newcastle under lyme being voted europes most violent small city. Its full of drunks, smack heads ( smack heads being people on heroine. I feel this massive urg to relocate maybe thats from the spirit.

Question.i understand drinking. Which is mentioned in the bible about not getting drunk but why is tea forbidden?? What is in it that is harmful?

The Church hasn't specified what is in it that is harmful, so we avoid it simply because God has commanded it. I don't need any other reasons.

Regards,

Vanhin

I must admit it is all very confusing, maybe i should move to a mormon dominated town or somthing, the place were i live atm is a hellhole in all honesty. I live in newcastle under lyme which is next door neighbour to stoke on trent, newcastle under lyme being voted europes most violent small city. Its full of drunks, smack heads ( smack heads being people on heroine. I feel this massive urg to relocate maybe thats from the spirit.

I don't quite understand what is so confusing about it. Don't drink coffee, tea (infusions not made out of tea are ok), or alcohol, and don't use drugs - illegal, legal, prescription or controlled. "Wholesome herbs," along with fruits and grains, are specifically recommended. Meat is to be used "sparingly." (LDS Newsroom - Health Practices)

Edit: I would also add that we are left to judge for ourselves what violates the Word of Wisdom based on the guidelines given.

Regards,

Vanhin

...it is less about caffeine and more about the tea leaf itself.

I have wondered many times if the coffee and tea plants were less valiant in the war in heaven or perhaps grew too close to the fence. Heaven forbid that this was just an substitutionary justification for the defunct "hot beverages that warm the belly" that has since been discarded as nonsensical.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a non LDS member on this group on learning about the Mormon Church.

What does WoW mean?

What is the problem with some teas?

The initial question asked "Can Mormons drink?

I assume Mormons drink water? and some sodas?-or does "drink" refer to prohibition against alcohol and caffeine? Anything else?

I am confused-obviously.

Wow means "The Word of Wisdom." This comes from Modern Revelation in the Doctrine and Covenants. Drinking Tea is one that we are to avoid, not to be confused with Herbel infusions which are really not teas. Sometimes commandments that we are ment to follow don't always have a clear answer. With faith in following them we gain a testomony of them. What I can tell you is that The Word of Wisdom does come from God and we do know the things we are not ment to partake of. Obediance to commandments and gaining faith will bring answers to our questions but on the Lord's time table. As you learn about to Church you can take your questions in prayer, but start with the basic first and that is if it is the Gospel of Jesus Christ that he started while in his mortal life is here and if The Church of Jesus Christ is that church. If you really have a desire to know you will get an answer.

To anwer your questions if Mormons drink water, I am sure you know that answer which is yes of course we do, sodas are ok as well. Alcohol is a no and it is less about the caffeine in tea and more to do with the tea leaf itself. Smoking, drugs and Hot Drinks (coffee and Tea) are a no.

Many of us love to answer questions as long as there is respect, you don't have to agree but we want respect for our beliefs.

Thank You for clarifying what is permissable and not permissable for members of the LDS church to drink. No disrespect was intended in my response.

You have clarified what WoW means.

Like any faith tradition-the LDS Church has terms that are used in that faith tradition-which those outside the faith tradition do not understand. ---but I am slowly learning some of them on this site.

As this Gospel Board is about "Learn About the Mormon Church"--I encourage LDS members to use or explain terms than a non-LDS member may wish to know and understand more fully. I and many on this web site are seekers of the Truth and wish more information to Learn about the Mormon Church-as this Thread title is defined.

Wow means "The Word of Wisdom." This comes from Modern Revelation in the Doctrine and Covenants. Drinking Tea is one that we are to avoid, not to be confused with Herbel infusions which are really not teas. Sometimes commandments that we are ment to follow don't always have a clear answer. With faith in following them we gain a testomony of them. What I can tell you is that The Word of Wisdom does come from God and we do know the things we are not ment to partake of. Obediance to commandments and gaining faith will bring answers to our questions but on the Lord's time table. As you learn about to Church you can take your questions in prayer, but start with the basic first and that is if it is the Gospel of Jesus Christ that he started while in his mortal life is here and if The Church of Jesus Christ is that church. If you really have a desire to know you will get an answer.

To anwer your questions if Mormons drink water, I am sure you know that answer which is yes of course we do, sodas are ok as well. Alcohol is a no and it is less about the caffeine in tea and more to do with the tea leaf itself. Smoking, drugs and Hot Drinks (coffee and Tea) are a no.

Many of us love to answer questions as long as there is respect, you don't have to agree but we want respect for our beliefs.

Thank You for clarifying what is permissable and not permissable for members of the LDS church to drink. No disrespect was intended in my response.

You have clarified what WoW means.

Like any faith tradition-the LDS Church has terms that are used in that faith tradition-which those outside the faith tradition do not understand. ---but I am slowly learning some of them on this site.

As this Gospel Board is about "Learn About the Mormon Church"--I encourage LDS members to use or explain terms than a non-LDS member may wish to know and understand more fully. I and many on this web site are seekers of the Truth and wish more information to Learn about the Mormon Church-as this Thread title is defined.

Very good point. I think we as members sometimes forget that acronyms are lost on those investigating or searching for answers.