Why Do Bad Things Happen to Good People?

Hemidakota

Meridian Magazine :: Spiritual Journeys: Why Do Bad Things Happen to Good People?

Snippet:

Although most of us will not face the type of bondage the Nephites suffered, the modern-day world is as full of trials as was the world of Alma and his converts at the waters of Mormon. Some of us are in bondage to illness, to unemployment, to difficult family relationships or to jobs that we do not like. We may be in bondage to loneliness, grief, or despair.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Through the power of the Atonement, those experiences can teach us. Personal righteousness does not mean we're exempt from trials. The opposite is true.

If we "endure it well" the rewards will far exceed our temporary pain and discomfort!

Because they do.

Sometimes people take on the burden of trying to find some morality in it: it will build character, strengthen testimonies (moral goodness) or worse still, how did I (or usually they) deserve this (moral badness)? I guess the concept of that which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or being perfected can be sustaining for some. I've kind of outgrown the need to explain it...when you're in pain the last thing you can want to hear is that it's going to bless you LOL. While bad things can produce good outcomes this isn't necessarily the case for everyone and do you we really need to permeate that fallacy? I guess it's always good to have hope and keep that alive. But I don't know if dealing with it as religiously good for you doesn't somehow makes it more convoluted...then you have to think of it as God blessing you and the whole issue of how God always gives good gifts. A difficult thing for some victims of awful things to hear. It may help their testimony or end it. Do they then blame God? I guess the LDS answer does involve the factor of personal choice in coming to Earth in order to accept trials...

Because it does. Because there is sin in the world. Because bad things happen to good people and that's a component of living on Earth and we have to make the best out of bad situations because not doing so isn't productive or healthy or desirable.

Because they do.

Because it does. Because there is sin in the world. Because bad things happen to good people and that's a component of living on Earth and we have to make the best out of bad situations because not doing so isn't productive or healthy or desirable.

And that is it in a nutshell. We chose to come to this earth and experience mortality so that we could grow in faith, compassion and patience. Some of us fail at times and some have given up, but trying to answer why is a hopeless task unless you believe there is a purpose for it all and that purpose both precedes and goes beyond mortality.

A very timely question for me as my husband-who is 59 and is a registered nurse-has terminal pancreatic cancer.

Why suffering? Why earthquakes that kill thousands? Why what seem like senseless murders, killings, etc?

I do not see a loving God as being the cause of all suffering as much as allowing that suffering to happen.

I have read several books on the subject-including the main thread title-Why do Bad Things Happen to Good People. The book is by Rabbi Harold Kuschner.

No easy answers for me-none at this point.

My husband is accepting of his ultimate death-as he is also accepting in the sure knowledge and his faith in the resurrection.

-Carol

And that is it in a nutshell. We chose to come to this earth and experience mortality so that we could grow in faith, compassion and patience. Some of us fail at times and some have given up, but trying to answer why is a hopeless task unless you believe there is a purpose for it all and that purpose both precedes and goes beyond mortality.

I think the trick is making friends with our hardships. I have been taught to carry a heart of gratitude for all things. I certainly don't always suceed, and that my friends is what venting and chocolate is all about! :) But I think there is much peace in coming to terms with hard and painful and even violating events. Some hard things prepare us, some refine us, some test us, some as just a plain pain in the rear! But we all have a choice in how we will react to them.

I was watching Oprah the other day. She had two guests. Both were diagnosed with terminal cancers. One was pancreatic cancer and he was a young man with three children under the age of 5. Both had made powerfully positive decisions about their circumstances. The first gal literally talked about how having cancer had taught her how to live; to live in the moment and to be grateful for all lessons and opportunities. And then she talked about her lifeline to God and how she relies on HIm when she is afraid.

Both stories were inspiring.

I don't know if all trial is given of God. I don't think so. But I do know that he turns it all for good. And I think one way He does that is thru our gratitude.

I was driving thru Yellowstone Park with my kids last week. We heard about the vast fires in the park a few short years ago. We drove thru those forests and saw the remainder of the burned trees standing lonely in the air. But then down at the forest floor were thousands of baby pines stretching for miles!!! One thing I know about God, He is a master of restorations!!! And just when we think all is lost, He brings us the fruit of our hardships. There is something so beautiful and humbling in that.

Edited by Misshalfway

Oprah had one college professor from Carnegie Mellon University-he has pancreatic cancer-so I can relate. He gave a lecture to his students-which became the basis for his book-called The Last Lecture-and now a best seller.

I heard his lecture on YouTube-very inspiring-short on religion-but inspiring for real-life suffering and one's reaction to that. He has young children-which makes it even more difficult for him and his family.

CS Lewis-often quoted on this board-wrote a book-the Problem with Pain-I will probably read that again too.

Suffering of my husband and family members and others I do not know-is difficult to deal with-especially when it hits close to home. All of us are ultimately effected by suffering.

I think what appears to be the randomness of it sometimes gets to me more than anything.

I probably-wrongly -have less sympathy and understanding for a 3-pack a day smoker who gets lung cancer than someone who does not smoke and gets lung cancer. Case in point-Christopher Reeves -wife-got lung cancer. She did not smoke-she stayed with him after his total paralysis-and she gets lung cancer-life does not seem fair sometimes. I guess I have much to work on at this point.

II Corinthians 11 16-32 has been a help to me. It looks like Paul had lots of suffering -and still persevered.

God bless each of you!

-Carol

I think the trick is making friends with our hardships. I have been taught to carry a heart of gratitude for all things. I certainly don't always suceed, and that my friends is what venting and chocolate is all about! :) But I think there is much peace in coming to terms with hard and painful and even violating events. Some hard things prepare us, some refine us, some test us, some as just a plain pain in the rear! But we all have a choice in how we will react to them.

I was watching Oprah the other day. She had two guests. Both were diagnosed with terminal cancers. One was pancreatic cancer and he was a young man with three children under the age of 5. Both had made powerfully positive decisions about their circumstances. The first gal literally talked about how having cancer had taught her how to live; to live in the moment and to be grateful for all lessons and opportunities. And then she talked about her lifeline to God and how she relies on HIm when she is afraid.

Both stories were inspiring.

I don't know if all trial is given of God. I don't think so. But I do know that he turns it all for good. And I think one way He does that is thru our gratitude.

I was driving thru Yellowstone Park with my kids last week. We heard about the vast fires in the park a few short years ago. We drove thru those forests and saw the remainder of the burned trees standing lonely in the air. But then down at the forest floor were thousands of baby pines stretching for miles!!! One thing I know about God, He is a master of restorations!!! And just when we think all is lost, He brings us the fruit of our hardships. There is something so beautiful and humbling in that.

I am not convinced that bad things happen to good people - in fact I am not convinced that bad things happen to bad people.

Shakespeare once said that nothing is as good or as bad as it seams only that thinking makes it so.

If someone ends up better off at the end than they were at the beginning can we say that what happened in between was bad? Perhaps if we think bad things are happening we do not see the complete picture.

I do understand that two individuals can look at the same thing and one will see ugliness and one will see beauty. Likewise two individuals can have the same experience and one will think it bad the other will see goodness and thank G-d for the experience.

I have yet to knell at my bed at the end of any day and not be thankful and feel a need to express appreciation.

The Traveler

Hi Hemidakota.

There are a couple doctrines that I go by.

1."All things work together for the good of them that love God........"

2. Because of the first premise...therefore for the righteous they do call "bad things"...more like "Uncomfortable life Experiences" that will lead to their good.

3. The righteous are delivered from their afflictions or destructions examples see Lot...of Sodom and Gomorrah and Joseph who was able to use every uncomfortable life experiences for his good and the good of others.

4. Afflictions and trials for those who are seeking God, is for learning obedience.

Hebrews 5:8 - Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered;

Once the righteous have learned obedience in all things...they have overcome the world and for these....God hears these...even before they leave off from asking.

For truly for these whatsoever they ask of God it shall be done.

For most people their trials and afflictions are due to some past sin that they may have forgotten to repent of. I know if one does not ask the Holy Ghost to show us our sins it does not have to.

I am not commenting for each case here. This is not an individual judgment. Today we know people who are overweight is due to overeating/lack of exercises will have health problems sooner or later because of it. Let not one of these people say that their afflictions is a test of God or a trial of God. And because that they are overweight.....they shall suffer health problems. And if their health problems are not because of Gluttony....they shall be healed if they asked God in faith.

I would call this post kind of harsh.

Peace be unto you

bert10

While I was in the middle of those bad times aka trials and tribulations, I sure didn't think it was fair.

Looking back on them, I realized they were my "Refiners Fire". Would I like to do them over? Yes and no.

Yes, because I selfishly want to not experience the hurts. No because surviving them, living through them have made me become a better me. They have strengthened my testimony too. Some of them have taught me to fine tune my Gift of Discernment, and to pay heed quicker to the "whisperings".

Guest Username-Removed

Bad things do happen to good people. As many have already noted, simply being in the world does mean that we interact with people that are not well intentioned. Free agency allows them to act. Acts of man can prove to injure others. What can we do?

Of course, Heavenly Father does warn us, and most of the time his warning allows us to prepare, or avoid most problems. However, we are not completely protected.

For me, I have as many natural trials in life as I care to have! And I try my best to be in a position to not have anymore than that! For example, I don’t drink, smoke, and do a host of other things that help prevent problems.

The closer we get to Heavenly Father, the further away the world becomes.

One of the things I have noticed in the world is that when bad things happen to people, other people view those problems as a fault of person having the problems. This is why we can’t judge. We simply don’t have all the information. Some blame Heavenly Father when these things happen or simply say that Heavenly Father is not there. Again, we simply don’t have enough information to make a judgment call.

In my opinion, our duty as Christians is to help our fellow man when bad things happen. If anybody has ever put in volunteer time at Deseret Industries, the Bishops Storehouse, or helped a friend get through a trial, you know what I mean. Reaching out with compassion is one of the most endearing traits of true Christians and an opportunity to learn ourselves.

Edited by WordFLOOD

Carol, trials are allowed by GOD for a purpose. For me, it is taking that basic rough diamond without beauty and shine, to chisel each facet until can be some worth. If not, those trials will be removed; same as medical conditions that were not to be shall also be removed if they were not supposed to happen. I had witnessed this from conversion in church with many individuals who contacted diseases, resurrected from the dead, only to be healed either instantly or a short time thereafter. We all suffer from trials in our life as we struggle to draw closer to the Godhead but we will be lifted up in the end as we pass those troubling times in our lives. Alma explained this very thing to his son Shiblon;

Alma 34:5 And now my son, Shiblon, I would that ye should remember, that as much as ye shall put your trust in God even so much ye shall be delivered out of your trials, and your troubles, and your afflictions, and ye shall be lifted up at the last day.

I will add, those who are seek righteousness and remain obedient to HIS WILL, I can say without any doubt, when it is your time in this mortality to be called home [crossing the veil], do you not think HE will tell them in advance to prepare their souls, family, and do a close out within mortality? I can testify that I seen death many times in my own life and recently last year. Why did HE spare my life to live another day? Just as I said, when we are live close to the FATHER and the Son, HE will favor them and prepares their souls for the eternality. I do now live each day, each passing moment, in unfathomable gratitude with every breath to seek out others to reach that pinnacle of life that they may also receive the same. Now in my third year of probation and closing in on that date of closure, I do know, if I live beyond this year, it is only based HIS love for me and those prayers from others who seek the same. For this Carol, prayers are heard when the spirit is poured out in genuineness on bent knees. I do know HE listens as HE will confirm the prayer through the third member of the Godhead – namely the Holy Spirit. If it is HIS will, your husband will be spared. If not, there a place that awaits him for a greater work and rewards. God bless you are your husband as you seek the Truth and may those trials be light and painless for both of you.

I am not convinced that bad things happen to good people - in fact I am not convinced that bad things happen to bad people.

Shakespeare once said that nothing is as good or as bad as it seams only that thinking makes it so.

If someone ends up better off at the end than they were at the beginning can we say that what happened in between was bad? Perhaps if we think bad things are happening we do not see the complete picture.

I do understand that two individuals can look at the same thing and one will see ugliness and one will see beauty. Likewise two individuals can have the same experience and one will think it bad the other will see goodness and thank G-d for the experience.

I have yet to knell at my bed at the end of any day and not be thankful and feel a need to express appreciation.

The Traveler

Different viewpoint but received....

I truly understand this principle, as Joseph Smith did in life. Joseph Smith suffered from every hand, including enemies in the church to the hands of claimed Christian Clergies. From the moment he was born to his death he suffered. Noting this example of such of a great man, we are allowed these trials to help us, in building strengths on those weaknesses that are not eternal. We cannot enter into that realm with these 'blemishes' on our garments and stand before GOD.

I will articulate in prayer, now entering into another trial of my life [started three weeks ago], with gratefulness and love. As I do ask for a greater sustainment in keeping the spirit focus on what is important to HIM for me.

Hi Hemidakota.

And if their health problems are not because of Gluttony....they shall be healed if they asked God in faith.

I would call this post kind of harsh.

Peace be unto you

bert10

Not if there is a greater work for them across the veil. There are those we can prayer over or try to heal them through the priesthood and the Lord sees it fit to remove them for such a work that we are not privy too.

I had witnessed this from conversion in church with many individuals who contacted diseases, resurrected from the dead, only to be healed either instantly or a short time thereafter.

You have witnessed resurrection, eh? I didn't know that was happening yet. :rolleyes:

The Traveler

Traveler,

Would you say you have a good life and you've recieved good in this world? How about "bad"? On what basis are you comparing the "good" vs. "bad"? Or the "right" vs. "wrong" the "ethical vs. unethical", etc. Thanks.

Doctor T. tell me what is wrong with this news report:

Woman Injured in Hwy. 411 Wreck

By RNW Reporter Hayden Jennings

An elderly female from North Carolina was injured after her car was struck by a large pickup truck Thursday.

The wreck occurred around Noon on US 411 at the Biddy Rd. Cutoff. The female was traveling westbound on 411 in a silver Chrysler Sebring with her husband when a large gray Dodge 2500 truck containing around 4 Hispanics struck the driver side of the sebring. It appearred as though the truck was attempting to turn left after coming eastbound.

The impact pushed the Sebring into the ditch. It also severely damaged the driver side door, trapping the female and requiring Rome Fire Rescue 1 and Quint 3 to pop the door loose with their hurst tool.

The female was transported with moderate injuries to Redmond Regional Hospital.

US 411 Westbound had one lane blocked for around 30 minutes.