The Cross

Let me start out by saying I am very close to leaving the church. Though I have a few questions before, which is why I came here. To start with, one of my issues with church doctrine is the subject of the Cross. Personally, I wear a Cross, but according to the church website, mormons are not supposed to wear the symbol of the cross because, “the Savior lives, [so] we do not use the symbol of His death as the symbol of our faith.” My opinion on the subject, is that the symbol of Christ's' death, the Cross, is the symbol of Christianity because without his death there would be no religion.

So my question is, why? I do not understand why the fact that Christ lives means that we should not wear a Cross. I ask for any further explanation and/or opinions on the subject.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off... Hi and Welcome to the site. :)

Secondly, you have kinda answered your own question... :)

But to clarify a bit more and get the official reason for not wearing the cross as a symbol of our faith, below you'll find a link to a talk by the late Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley, which I think explains it really well.

If this still doesn't settle your issue on this particular subject I would encourage you to pray about it as in my opinion you won't get much of a better answer to your question than from the Lord and a late Prophet of the Lord.

LDS.org - Ensign Article - The Symbol of Our Faith

I hope this helps :)

The way I see it, wearing a cross is really no different than wearing a CTR ring. It's an external display of what your values are.

While President Hinckley's comments are reasonable there may be some historical reasons to avoid using the cross, since over the centuries it has accumulated a set of meanings and symbolisms among different faiths. For a church trying to distinguish itself as unique from other churches, it makes sense not to embrace the symbol of faith used by other churches.

That being said, while I see some wisdom in the Church as an organization not to utilize the cross, I have no problem with individual members using it to communicate their faith to those around them.

Sorry to hear you're leaving the Church, but wherever your path takes you, I sincerely hope you find happiness there.

The cross is a glorification of Christs death, as members of the church we focus on his ressurection, Christs death is not basis for relegion it was his overcoming death through ressurection that all can live, all meaning all. We are not prohibited to wearing the cross, we are counseled to focus on life.

Guest Username-Removed

Having been raised by a non-member Christian mother I can tell you my mom does wear a cross. She looks at the cross as a symbol of sacrifice. However, we Mormons dont want to even come close to honoring his death - Even though I can tell you my mother, and other christians do not. This is not about pointing the finger at the different religions and saying "I'm right and your wrong". Its simply what we mormons choose to not use as a symbol of Christ.

Its too bad that, when talking about Christ, there are things that are chosen to divide us, rather than bring us together. Afterall, since we are talking about the pure love of Christ, you'd think it would be the opposite ... wouldnt you?

Rekhyt2238...Hi! and welcome.

I have been where you are. And like MarginOfError, I feel the cross is like wearing my CTR ring. A reminder... Now, the Crucifix is, to me, the depiction of his death, and I personally would not want to wear a replication of a wounded, tortured, dying Christ. But when I see a cross I do not think death; I think Savior...Redeemer. Probably not much of a distinction to most, but that is what I experience.

The Ensign Article is a wonderful claification.

And you are not forbidden to wear a cross, just that it is not our focus. (as kart2960 stated.)

All this said, is wearing or not wearing a cross such an important issue for you, that you would leave the Church?

I would definitely turn to Heavenly Father and through prayer find my peace with this.

Again, welcome; and I hope you stick around. :)

we just talked about this one a couple of sunday's ago. we were reading a quote in rs, this isn't exact, about "we don't ask ppl to leave the good things behind, but to bring it with them and add to it"

being in the south there are many that use the cross and we have several converts that wear them. that was used as the example of living as this quote directs. if someone sees the cross as a symbol of their faith, if it's a symbol that brings peace and spiritual feelings to them then they should bring that (their good thing) with them and add unto it. as long time members we may not use the cross but we should not make anyone feel ashamed of doing so. if we get into a lesson and go off on a 30 min tangent of all the quotes ever given about why we don't use the cross how is that going to make the convert that brought their cross with them feel? they will feel as they are being asked to give up something that is a part of them. that's not ok according to what we were being taught.

wearing a cross or not has nothing to do with our salvation and shouldn't be made such a big deal that anyone would leave the church over it. i'm sorry you are having this experiance. i hope you can find the peace you are seeking.

~~~Gwen~~~

but we should not make anyone feel ashamed of doing so.

wearing a cross or not has nothing to do with our salvation and shouldn't be made such a big deal that anyone would leave the church over it.

I so agree. And I (me, personally) wouldn't let "them" run me off. My belief in the Church, in Heavenly Father and His Son are so much more important than what a few might say, or even how they may treat me. THEY will be accountable for their actions. We are all at different stages in our knowledge/understanding; my hope is, that we care about and love each other (as Christ loves us) enough to uplift and sustain one another... enough to overcome the human flaws we all have.

The cross is not used by other religions as a result of a commandment by God. In fact, there is not one scripture that can even be construed as to mean that the true church of God would use a cross as its symbol of its belief in Christ. Of course, the scriptures wouldn't speak of "mainstream" Christianity versus non-"mainstream" Christianity because in the scriptures there are only two major churches -- the Church of Christ and the Church of the devil.

Having explained that, the cross was first used -- get this -- during the Crusades. That's right. It was a symbol of war, not a symbol of religion, per se. So the cross has historical importance in that regard. Over time, because of the aggressive missionary efforts by many churches, the symbol of the cross because the accepted sign of Christianity around the world. What's the trend that you see?

It's all man-made. There's no scriptural basis in the practice. Adam and Eve did not wear a cross in the Garden of Eden, Moses didn't have a cross on his staff, and Jesus certainly did not walk around with a cross around his neck. What you really have conflict with, then, is "mainstream" Christian trends based in historical events that have no scriptural basis. Mormonism simply states that the cross is not an acceptable symbol of our belief in Christ. As Gordon B Hinckley put it, the lives of the members of the Church are the symbol of our belief in Christ.

I look at the cross as one way to display your faith. I was taught and have believed what Pres Hinkley said in that Ensign article for a long time, that our lives are a reflection of our faith and that we believe in the resurrected Savior. In fact its the central theme of the Book of Mormon. When I see somebody who wears the cross it doesnt offend me. I look to it as one way they chose to declare there faith.

The cross is not used by other religions as a result of a commandment by God. In fact, there is not one scripture that can even be construed as to mean that the true church of God would use a cross as its symbol of its belief in Christ. Of course, the scriptures wouldn't speak of "mainstream" Christianity versus non-"mainstream" Christianity because in the scriptures there are only two major churches -- the Church of Christ and the Church of the devil.

Having explained that, the cross was first used -- get this -- during the Crusades. That's right. It was a symbol of war, not a symbol of religion, per se. So the cross has historical importance in that regard. Over time, because of the aggressive missionary efforts by many churches, the symbol of the cross because the accepted sign of Christianity around the world. What's the trend that you see?

It's all man-made. There's no scriptural basis in the practice. Adam and Eve did not wear a cross in the Garden of Eden, Moses didn't have a cross on his staff, and Jesus certainly did not walk around with a cross around his neck. What you really have conflict with, then, is "mainstream" Christian trends based in historical events that have no scriptural basis. Mormonism simply states that the cross is not an acceptable symbol of our belief in Christ. As Gordon B Hinckley put it, the lives of the members of the Church are the symbol of our belief in Christ.

You failed to mention if you are categorically opposed to members of the Church wearing crosses or not.

In a playful spirit, I submit the following to you.

Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. (Matt. 16:24)

But I say unto you, that whosoever looketh on a woman, to lust after her, hath committed adultery already in his heart.

Behold, I give unto you a commandment, that ye suffer none of these things to enter into your heart;

For it is better that ye should deny yourselves of these things, wherein ye will take up your cross, than that ye should be cast into hell. (3 Nephi 12:28-30)

And he that will not take up his cross and follow me, and keep my commandments, the same shall not be saved. (D&C 56:2)

i don't think anyone is arguing that a cross was commanded by god or that it is anything more than a secular symbol. i understand the church stance and agree with it. i wouldn't want crosses everywhere, i was raised in the church and that is how i am. what is being said is that if it has personal significance one should not feel compelled to give it up. i wore a watch on a chain for a long time, it wasn't cause i was worried about the time, i had one on my wrist as well. it was a personal symbol of a goal i had set, it was my constant reminder of something i was working on to improve my life. i could have chosen anything to have that meaning for me but that is what i chose. if someone wants to wear a cross as their symbol of their personal commitment to god, that is their perogitive.

Let me start out by saying I am very close to leaving the church. Though I have a few questions before, which is why I came here. To start with, one of my issues with church doctrine is the subject of the Cross. Personally, I wear a Cross, but according to the church website, mormons are not supposed to wear the symbol of the cross because, “the Savior lives, [so] we do not use the symbol of His death as the symbol of our faith.” My opinion on the subject, is that the symbol of Christ's' death, the Cross, is the symbol of Christianity because without his death there would be no religion.

So my question is, why? I do not understand why the fact that Christ lives means that we should not wear a Cross. I ask for any further explanation and/or opinions on the subject.

I don't know of any official stance that we should not wear a cross. And as others have said, I don't think there is anything wrong with it. I would gladly wear a cross or a Star of David, and would not lose any sleep over it, if I was so inclined.

Jesus Christ explained what the symbol of true discipleship is:

A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another. (John 13:34-35)

Why are you close to leaving the Church?

Regards,

Vanhin

To start with, one of my issues with church doctrine is the subject of the Cross.

The cross does not have anything to do with church doctrine. How long have you been a member? The reason I ask is this; remember why you were baptized. It should have had nothing to do with symbols or nice members or mean members.... You received a testimony that the gospel as taught by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints was truth, correct? That testimony is the most important thing. The church is an organization of imperfect people striving to live a perfect principle. Ignorant members (and we are all ignorant in some area) will sometimes try to point out something that they see as imperfection in the hope that their imperfections will not be so obvious. If someone has made you feel bad about wearing a cross it is just that. Please do not let your testimony of the gospel hang on that cross. Rediscover the joy that comes with the manifestation of the Holy Ghost that the Lord lives and has restored to us the fullness of His gospel so that we can return to Him.

Anything can be used to symbolize one's belief in Christ. The use of the cross in terms of demonstrating one's faith is legitimate as individuals.

My comments were not directed to individuals, however, but rather to churches as a whole who have chosen to use the cross publicly to demonstrate their belief in Christ, such as the majority of "mainstream" Christianity. I pointed out the historical background of the use of the cross and simply pointed out that the cross had historical and not scriptural roots. Should one choose to wear a cross, as I have seen many Mormons do, to symbolize their belief in Christ there is no sin being committed there. No harm no foul.

The cross aside.... are you a member of the church? If so how long? Do you have a testimony about anything? The Book of Mormon? Joseph Smith? I suspect that you don't if you are worried about religious symbols.

We believe that Jesus drank of the bitter cup and took upon him the sins of the world and made himself a ransom for penitent sinners in Gethsemennee. The suffering on the cross of Calvary was the means of his death.

Advice? Wear the cross if you like. But pray, really pray and read the Book of Mormon. The Church is true.... please don't let something like wearing a cross prevent you from gaining a testimony, an absolute knowledge that this is the Lords church.

Edited by bytor2112

I see the cross in two different lights.

1. A token of remembrance for what He did for us.

2. A sacrificial torture device.

If God sent another Son in this day, and we sentence him to death by lethal injection, I probably wouldn't be wearing a syringe around my neck. Just a thought....

Oh, but don't let something as silly as a CROSS make your testimony falter! If you feel it's something positive, then wear it! You won't be ostracized for it or anything. Personally, my mom wears crosses all the time. If she were to give me one, I'd wear it too.

Edited by NormalMormon

There is a lot of interesting post concerning the cross. Please allow me to be clear. There are a few symbols from ancient scriptures that have reference to covenants with G-d. But reference to symbolism is not in-and-of-itself a principle of faith in G-d. The Kingdom of G-d is not understood well in our time nor is the association of symbols with covenants. Therefore, the cross has become a counterfeit symbol in our day.

I would not associate myself with a cross - not because of its intended popular meaning in the world but because it is a counterfeit symbol created by man and not by G-d or his appointed servants. There are ancient symbols of sacred covenants - many are not publically displayed but are between an individual and G-d.

I would also submit that in our day, so few are aware of the sacred covenants as G-d offers them within the structure of his kingdom, that counterfeits are more acceptable than that which is genuine – even among those trying to believe. Because covenants of the kingdom have been lost so has the understanding of their symbols. Those that judge others - especially based on their association with counterfeit symbols, publically display a most unfortunate miss-understanding of faith in G-d and the principles of the gospel Christ taught.

Wearing a cross no more means someone is a Christian or associated with Christ than sleeping in a garage means someone is a Chevy.

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

I do not understand why the fact that Christ lives means that we should not wear a Cross. I ask for any further explanation and/or opinions on the subject.

Rekhyt, I do hope your faith and testimony of the restored gospel is much more stronger than whether to wear a cross or not. This restored gospel is true despite how others may unfairly treat you.

First, I personally am not offended by others who wear a cross. I just don't think it is necessary to wear a cross to show that you believe in Christ. We know we believe in Christ, that we are Christians without the need to wear a cross. It's possible that some people wear a cross to shout it from the roof tops that they are Christian.

I believe it's not what you show or wear on the outside that counts it's what's on the inside, in your heart, and how you live your life. Do you love and follow the teachings of Jesus Christ? Do you love one another? Do you ask forgiveness and give to others your forgiveness and love them anyway? Sometimes we forget that last part. Do we repent when we've done something wrong and desire to not repeat it again and if we do we are not afraid to repent once more and try over again. To wear a cross does none of those for me. I think it's what we do with the knowledge of the gospel we are given and how we live our lives. Those I feel are much more important than wearing a cross. But others should not judge you because you do. They should love you intead and they probably do and don't show it or know how to show it.

First of all, I want to thank all of you for your replies. I also want to say, that my issues are with the LDS church and that is as far as they go. I have a complete testimony of Christ and Christianity in general.

All this said, is wearing or not wearing a cross such an important issue for you, that you would leave the Church?

No. The Cross, is one of many issues with the Church that I have. This one was simply the first one I had composed enough to ask. I am currently in a hotel, and unfortunately forgot my Bible at home, and I was not quite ready to ask other questions without it for some reference.

How long have you been a member? The reason I ask is this; remember why you were baptized. You received a testimony that the gospel as taught by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints was truth, correct?

I was born and raised a mormon. I was baptized when I was nine, so eight years ago. To tell you the truth, I was baptized because I had faith in Christ, at least as much as you can at that age. I had no clue on the LDS faith. I was baptized in the LDS faith at that time, because I lived in Utah, and that is just what you do. Honestly I got enough weird looks when people found out that I was not baptized when I was eight.

Rediscover the joy that comes with the manifestation of the Holy Ghost that the Lord lives and has restored to us the fullness of His gospel so that we can return to Him.

I do not need to rediscover it, as Christ is already a big part of my life. It is simply the LDS faith that is not.

The cross aside.... are you a member of the church? If so how long? Do you have a testimony about anything? The Book of Mormon? Joseph Smith? I suspect that you don't if you are worried about religious symbols.

I just answered the first three so, The Book of Mormon? No. I tried reading it back when President Hinckley challenged everyone to. I tried, and I just did not get anything out of it. I recently tried again, with very similar results. Joseph Smith? No.

You say that Christ and Christianity is a big part of your life, are you active in church? Do you hold the Priesthood? You keep saying the "LDS faith". The LDS faith is Christianity- true pure Christianity. Do you need your Bible with you to expound on the "issues" you are having with some church doctrine? Our faith is an active faith. When we speak of having a testimony, it is more than just a belief or understanding of doctrine or a belief that Jesus is the Christ. It is all of these things and more. The Holy Spirit testifies to our Spirit sacred truths, like Jesus Christ is the only begotten son of God, that he was crucified for the sins of the world and that after laying in a sepulcher for three days, he was raised into immortality and ascended into heaven to sit on the right hand of the Father and reign in Eternal glory for ever and ever. These commonly held beliefs in Christ are what defines Christians today.

Have you ever wondered why their are so many denominations? They all claim to believe in Christ and understand salvation, but all understand the same scriptures a bit differently. Each of these denominations are break offs, off- shoots of the Catholic church. They left the Church because of differences of doctrinal opinion... and other issues. But they took what they believed to be true and started their own faith. The Church that Christ started was no longer in existence. There were still believers, but they all believed something different. The Authority to act in Gods name was no longer on the earth. We call this the Apostasy.

The Bible is an awesome collection of sacred writings that is interpreted differently by different religious groups. Some accept the KJV others have more books... like the Catholics. Joseph Smith was chosen to "restore" Christ's church to the earth in preparation for his second coming. The Book of Mormon is a sacred record that details the account of a family that left Jerusalem in 600 BC and traveled to the Americas. The record details the lives of the descendants of two brothers, Nephi and Lamen. It follows their wars and contentions and rise and fall because of there wickedness and the crowning event is the appearance of Jesus Christ after his crucifixion. It provides details that have been missing from Christian beliefs for centuries. It is another witness or testimony that Jesus Christ is the son of God. It clarifies the information in the Bible. We believe that through Joseph's humble prayer, communication with God opened again. We believe that this communication continues today.

You are a young man who obviously has a firm testimony that Jesus is the Christ. The best ways to find out information about his church is to go to his church. See your Bishop and tell him of your concerns. Go to Gospel Doctrine class on Sunday. Do you attend Seminary? Pray and don't try and read the Book of Mormon- do it. It contains the fullness of the Everlasting Gospel, the good news of salvation through Christ and is a gift beyond compare, an example of Heavenly Fathers unending love for his children. Don't let the adversary distract you and whisper things to you that will lead you astray. You probably have a great work to do for the Lord and the adversary knows it and there is no better way than distract you from the truth.

Edited by bytor2112

Have you ever wondered why their are so many denominations? They all claim to believe in Christ and understand salvation, but all understand the same scriptures a bit differently.

Are you sure about that? All understand the same scripture differently? Can you give an example?

M.

This issue of the cross is huge for Protestants. Let me share some random observations.

First, for evangelical/fundamentalist/conservative Christians, the cross is a symbol of rigor. Jesus died a tortorous death on the cross because He loved me THAT much, and because my sins were THAT offensive. When I see that cross, I see the gravity, the depth, the seriousness of my faith, and of the love of God that compels me.

Second...the cross is offensive. Positive thinking and will power will not save me. It is not by works of righteousness that I have come, but according to his mercy he has saved me. And so, the cross is a constant reminder of my need for humble service to God...the price was high, but He paid it. I owe him a life of gratitude.

Third, there is a suspicion that arises when some Christians seem to deny the cross. Why do this? Do they want a bloodless gospel? Do they want to believe the lie that their sins did not merit such a death? Are they unwilling to walk humbly before their God?

In fairness, I note that many "mainstream churches" have taken down their crosses. They say the crosses are offensive, morbid, racist (KKK), and just negative. One poster asked if Jesus' had died by lethal injection, would the needle be our symbol? Another church leader asked my pastor, "Would we put up electric chairs as our symbol," if Jesus had been killed that way??? I loved his response, frankly.

YES!

I know that LDS do not "deny the cross." My sense is that your leaders jettisoned it largely as a means of distinguishing the restored message from the traditional one. And, as FYI, I do not wear a cross. Nevertheless, meditation upon the crucifixion--keeping ever before us the sacrifice--not only the mental psychological anguish of the Garden--but the bloodied phsyical suffering on the cross--it both humbles and encourages me. God hates sin that much. He loves me that much.