Getting Rid Of Landline?

StrawberryFields

This is something I have been thinking about for awhile now and thought I would run it by the wise people of LDS.Net.:D

We still have a land line that we get charged about 70.00 per month for. About the only people who call us on it are solicitors or reminder calls for dentist visits etc. My hubby suggested getting a basic line without all of the bells and whistles we have but I love the caller ID, call waiting etc when I use that phone. When I lived in St. George for 1.5 years I only had my cell number and I got along fine. My married son and his wife only have their cell phones and they seem to do fine too. I want to rid myself from the phone and costs associated with it but I don't want to get spam calls on my cell phone instead. The worst thing about it is when you make a Dr's appointment etc they look you up by your "Home phone number". I think it might be a pain to switch everything over.

Has anyone taken the steps to get rid of their landline?

We gave up landline about 2 years ago. I have internet through the local cable company and all of us have cell phones. Just couldn't see paying an additional bill each month for something that really was never used.

I only use the Cell phone. My brother is the same way. My other brother is kind of in the middle (when cell phones become more common) and so had a cheap cell phone plan and still does the home phone).

I'm not sure where you live. My mom come back from visting my sister (the HAD a home phone and they both had cell phones). But they switched over to Comcast Digital Voice. I really didn't think much of it.

My mom was saying they got some deal with Comcast to do phone for just $30 a month. I Should have realized. But after my mom suggest they do that same thing. I started looking into VoIP. (Voice Over IP). Its kind of catching on.

Voice over IP is really a phone that goes over the internet. This makes it cost alot less (because it uses internet which can really go all over the world). (thats what Comcast Digtial Voice is)

Skype is a free computer program that does VoIP. You can call anybody in the world for free Over it. Just one main catch, the other person has to have Skype too. (YOu can call people on land lines but they charge you a little for it) I then noticed Google Talk had something similar to VoIP but it doesn't seem that advance.

But really you can PAY For VoIP and get a box That hooks up to your internet and hooks up to your phone. So you use your phone just like normal and can call anybody on any PHONE. They do charge for Land Line calls but its pretty cheap. I'm looking into this salution more and more. (Comcast has it for $30 a month, Same with Qwest, that is for all the calls in the USA)

Vontage is another one, where you just pay $25 a month for all your long distance (in the US) and over seas is a little more. THe cool thing with Vontage is you can pick any phone number you want. (Anywhere in the country). And probably keep your old phone number

Just an Idea! I found out that Qwest does something like this. I probably would up my internet speed a little more, just to make sure I can be online and still do one phone thing. But its not a bad idea!

One last thing, you also get your Caller ID, and even some Call waiting features as part of the monthly charge. I just don't know what added taxes they add to all of this.

Edited by tubaloth

We've used Vonage for years. If you're paying for an internet connection already, it's probably one of the cheapest ways to have a land line. It was only costing us $25 or so each month and we loved the service (it has ALL the bells and whistles) as well as free or really great rates internationally which mattered when my siblings were all over the world. Anyway, we shut it off when we moved to Utah even though we could have easily transferred it (it's just a router through your computer), but didn't because we both have cell phones and didn't need the extra expense. I'd personally like have a landline if I wasn't so cheap, but having our cell phones works fine and we haven't really regretted it.

I haven't had a landline since we got married over two years ago. It works out very well. My parents just got rid of theirs, as well. The people with whom you communicate already have your cell number. When people ask for your home number, just give your cell. It works in almost any situation.

Cellphones are great, as long as you get a reliable provider. And you want to make sure you get clear service while you're in your own home. Some towers have "blank spots" where the signal just misses, and a lot of times those can be homes. When I sold cellphones I had a customer tell me that she had a clear signal in one room, and no signal in another. A very distinct line.

Cellphones don't have true caller I.D., that I'm aware of, but they do show the number that's calling on the screen. If they're saved in your contact list then the name you have for that number will show. (And for fancier phones, you can assign a picture, and the picture will show, too!)

Many phones also have call-waiting built in, and most providers have voicemail standard.

The major downside of cell phones is the 911 service. They're all required to be 911-capable (even if you don't have service, they are still required to be able to dial 911 if there's a charge it the battery.) You even get a nice federal 911 tax for that on your bill.

But, unlike landlines, the cellphone doesn't say exactly where you are. Instead, it gives the 911 operators a GPS location. Now, if you're in a house, that's fine. But for people in apartment complexes... It can't tell them what room you're in, or what floor.

Also, they can be easy to lose if you're not careful. And some of the more delicate models can break with one drop. The phones themselves are expensive to replace. And, the new Lithium Ion batteries are known to "explode" if they're dropped too hard. So if you have one with Li Ion and drop it... don't pick it up right away. Wait 30 seconds or so.

Edit: I think you might be able to port landlines, which allows you to keep your old landline number. I'm not certain on this, you'll have to ask the guys you talk to about the phones. But, if not, changing your information that the docs have isn't too much of a hassle. If you only have a cellphone then that's your acceptable contact number. It's all I have, and it's what I use for docs, applications, ID, etc.

Edited by VisionOfLehi

Guest Username-Removed

Ive been in telecom all my life with now 20 years of experience. Im also pretty economy minded as well.

My advice .... sit down cuz its gonna blow you away.

1) Dump the very expensive standard cell phone plans. Those are at minimum $50 - $95 a month.

2) Get a VOIP or Cable company phone. Have the number unlisted, and request "DO NOT SHARE" option - nobody talks about this, but its an option. All phone companies are now are sharing your telephone numbers for profit unless you ask them not to. I have this option, and i NEVER get a telephone call from a solicitor. You may need to change your number first.

3) Get a very inexpensive pre-paid phone plan. There are a few that dont require any monthy fee - zip, zero, zilch. You can actually only pay for the time you actually use. Use all your LD on the VOIP/ Cable phone, those are only about $30 a month and all your LD is free! Also, if you rarely use your cell phone, only for emergencies, dump the whole idea of a cell phone or pre-paid cell phone. Your standard cell phone will still dial 911 in an emergency - even if you dont have a plan! Its the LAW!

4) Take advantage of all the benefits the company you are using. Do they have discounts through other services you are using. Are you renting movies? If so, can you get free movies through one of your existing providors? Try to bundle your services together for a discount.

I have never had a land line. (except for internet access) The only down side to losing it that I know of Is that call to 911 can be traced via a land line very easily. Not sure it is as quick or possible on a cell phone. I was told it wasn't. But this was told to me by a phone company representative as I canceled my home phone so he did have a dog in the fight so to speak.

Cellphones are great, as long as you get a reliable provider. And you want to make sure you get clear service while you're in your own home. Some towers have "blank spots" where the signal just misses, and a lot of times those can be homes. When I sold cellphones I had a customer tell me that she had a clear signal in one room, and no signal in another. A very distinct line.

Cellphones don't have true caller I.D., that I'm aware of, but they do show the number that's calling on the screen. If they're saved in your contact list then the name you have for that number will show. (And for fancier phones, you can assign a picture, and the picture will show, too!)

Many phones also have call-waiting built in, and most providers have voicemail standard.

The major downside of cell phones is the 911 service. They're all required to be 911-capable (even if you don't have service, they are still required to be able to dial 911 if there's a charge it the battery.) You even get a nice federal 911 tax for that on your bill.

But, unlike landlines, the cellphone doesn't say exactly where you are. Instead, it gives the 911 operators a GPS location. Now, if you're in a house, that's fine. But for people in apartment complexes... It can't tell them what room you're in, or what floor.

Also, they can be easy to lose if you're not careful. And some of the more delicate models can break with one drop. The phones themselves are expensive to replace. And, the new Lithium Ion batteries are known to "explode" if they're dropped too hard. So if you have one with Li Ion and drop it... don't pick it up right away. Wait 30 seconds or so.

Edit: I think you might be able to port landlines, which allows you to keep your old landline number. I'm not certain on this, you'll have to ask the guys you talk to about the phones. But, if not, changing your information that the docs have isn't too much of a hassle. If you only have a cellphone then that's your acceptable contact number. It's all I have, and it's what I use for docs, applications, ID, etc.

calling 911 from a "dead" cell phone is about $5 a minute from sprint....been there done that

Thanks!

I see some really good information here now I just need to get the courage up to call them.:D I will know that they will try to talk me out of the disconnect but I am tired of paying for something that we don't use.

Times are changing for sure we just quit our newspaper a few months ago and I haven't regretted that at all. The internet has the news on it and I hate wasting money and trees on something we just recycle.

We cancelled our newspaper, cable (basic and all; we're doing the Netflix thing instead), and cell phone. We're going with the prepaid cel and are looking to downgrade our land line--I found something that charges about $20.00 a month.

Any more cutting back, and we'll be down to the 2 soup cans and string!

Guest Username-Removed

Basic local cable phone is now priced less than $25 if you have some basic form of cable TV, which is as low as $15. Thats pretty cheap entertainment and emergency telephone service

Ok the only problem I found with having no landline was with the church. When I was married somehow my ex's cell number was put as our home phone number. She hated getting calls that were supposed to be for me. I think the church and businesses need to figure that out. They need to change the system so that both numbers are displayed or something.

I think that landlines will be a thing of the past very very soon. The next step is to have instant communicators like on Star Trek. It would be so cool to hit my chest and talk to someone.

We got rid of our landlines a few years ago when one of the kids came for the summer. I was still driving truck with hubby and she was left to her own. The landline bill was left to us..some $600. worth. We decided the phones go with us after that. No temptations in the house. I believe that was 4 or 5 yrs ago.

Joni

We only have cell phones. However, now it's a problem because I talk more on the phone to my mother now that I am living with my husband again. I have gone over my minutes and now I have to actually pay attention to how long I am on the phone.

Sad thing is most people know not to call at night or on the weekends because my husband does not like it when I talk on the phone for a large period of time when he is home, and of course nights and weekends are free. . . so it's a catch 22.

What I want to do is get a landline for $12 a month so people calling me long distance can dial there and not muck up my minutes, or we should pay more money a month to have more minutes or something. It rather sucks. =/

Ok the only problem I found with having no landline was with the church. When I was married somehow my ex's cell number was put as our home phone number. She hated getting calls that were supposed to be for me. I think the church and businesses need to figure that out. They need to change the system so that both numbers are displayed or something.

I think that landlines will be a thing of the past very very soon. The next step is to have instant communicators like on Star Trek. It would be so cool to hit my chest and talk to someone.

Ha, ha! The sisters in my ward are always calling my cell phone asking for my wife. It's all good, though. Sometimes they do remember to call her number instead. ^_^

Guest Username-Removed

I do like the durability of a land line. Most states take over all cell voice frequencies during a disaster for use by emergency personel. So, even if you have battery power, cell phone conversations are pretty sketchy during a big emergency. However, texting on a cell phone is one of the most resiliant forms of communication ever invented yet! - it even beats ham radio. Anytime you can have IP based wireless communication with a very high tollerance for latency, you've got yourself a winner! Even if data cell packets are dropped, IP ensures they are retransmitted even in-between brief pauses in high cell traffic. So, if you have texting, learn how to use it, and who you will be contacting during an emergency.

We dropped our land line 4-5 years ago. We have 5 phones on a family plan that allows us to call anyone connected to our cell company with unlimited minutes anytime. We designated one of the phones as the 'home' phone as it stays at home so our youngest can use it as needed(he is 11 and does not need a mobile of his own yet) and we give that number out to businesses or people we don't want calling our mobile cells. Our plan also does not charge us extra for long distance. When I am out-of-state I can call home and talk as long as I need to for free. We have unlimited texting for a price(it's worth it with teenage daughters).

I also have a problem with callers from church. Some years they put our old landline number in the ward directory, which is not entirely a bad thing. If it keeps someone from asking me to speak in church, it's a good thing.

I have tried with some success to keep my personal cell number distributed to as few people as possible so that I don't get any surprise calls or solicitors. I also have policy of not answering the phone unless the caller is already programmed into my phone and I know who they are or if I am expecting an important call. Otherwise, the call goes to voice mail and I will screen it and decide if I feel like calling back or not.