Getting Rid Of Landline?

StrawberryFields

I remember talking to someone at the IRS about a year and a half ago. The gal said that cell lines are easily tapped, unlike landlines. She mentioned it because I had mentioned that my cell phone was having issues and I had to call using my Mom's phone.

I'm not sure how true it is, but I do know that what word said is quite true about emergencies. We were told to know where the pay phones were at a church emergency preparedness meeting for that very reason.

We went with VOIP about 5 years ago and have never regretted it. We went with Packet 8. I think it was because they were a little cheaper than Vongage back then and they were more proactive about resolving the 911 issue. I'm not sure how they compare now. I believe all VOIP's have to provide some type of 911 service now.

We pay 20.00 a month which include caller ID, call waiting, 3 way calling, call forwarding, call block (my favorite - I can block numbers I don't want calling me,) unlimited long distance in North America and so much more that I never use.

I don't understand why anyone would pay for a traditional land line anymore. I think the big phone companies are in for some hurt if they don't lower their rates. Especially now that most VOIPs will use your same number so you don't have to figure out who to notify.

Guest Username-Removed

The reason I dont use cell phones as my primary communications line is because the cost can really sky rocket. When I was in the ATV industry, everybody wanted to know where I was riding that weekend. Even on the biggest plan with Verizon, my cell phone bill got as high as $600 a month!!!

Granted, that was a result of everyone knowing my cell phone number for over 3 years. They told two friends, and they told two friends and so on and so on! LOL

Now, finally, my contract is up with verizon, and its PRE-PAID for me starting next month! If somone wants to get a hold of me, they can just leave a message on my voice mail on my VOIP cable phone. Then from work I can view my messages from the web, and even listen to them. If its urgent, I will call them back from my pre-paid phone. Otherwise, they will just have to wait.

As far as quality, my cable VOIP is the best. I have not had one problem with voice distortion at all even when the web is busy. This is another reason why I hate cell phones. And, some of the VOIP services out that are not any better in my opinion. I have E911 service, all my phones work in my house, and when the power is out, I can still make a call.

Edited by WordFLOOD

I will look into VOIP. We are already paying about 170.00 for cable TV and Internet combined. I guess if I call my cable company they would be glad to get me set up. :cool:

I appreciate all of your good advice.:)

Edited by Strawberry Fields

Another thing to consider, especially if you have younger children, is safety. I am trying to convince my husband to have a basic $12 landline because if I fall down the stairs and become unconscious she needs to be able to dial 911. While yes, she can do that with my cell phone, you have to push an extra button to dial, and cell phones migrate. Do I really want her to spend ten minutes looking for my phone when time is of the essence?

Every team I scan the thread titles I keep reading this as 'getting rid of landmine?' Now that would be a good idea. Mowing the lawn is just too hard with those in place.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Why have so many people got rid of their landlines??? I wouldn't be without mine. Its cheaper. We pay as we go, like a mobile. If I put 20 quid on it, thats what we use. When its gone its gone. That will lasat us a month. hubbys mobile bill i just paid today was 43 quid. More than double. Its cheaper to call on a landline. Plus u need a line for the internet. I would never get rid of mine!

Why have so many people got rid of their landlines??? I wouldn't be without mine. Its cheaper. We pay as we go, like a mobile. If I put 20 quid on it, thats what we use. When its gone its gone. That will lasat us a month. hubbys mobile bill i just paid today was 43 quid. More than double. Its cheaper to call on a landline. Plus u need a line for the internet. I would never get rid of mine!

It really varies from country to country....

When living in Malaysia we had a landline to call my parents and for them to call us... It was dirt cheep to have that line...

But we didn't need it for the internet.... Then we moved & just didn't bother with the landline again...

But now in South Africa not many people have a landline anymore.. Mainly due to there only being one provider they get to charge what they jolly well want to... As in the earth... So most people have thier cell phones... Again... In Malaysia it was much much cheeper... Here in SA we use almost twice what we did in Malaysia... But there are ways to get around that kind of cost.. .Like packages or bundles....

I use a cell phone for my connection.. Hubby uses a 3G card

Guest Username-Removed

I guess if I call my cable company they would be glad to get me set up. :cool:

Im sure they would! ;) Tell them you'd like a bundle special for all three. $116.99 should get you all the chans (besides HBO/SHO etc) Unlimited Long Distance phone, and 6 meg Internet. More for less! Plus tax should be about $10 on top of that.

Edited by WordFLOOD

Word, I have been thinking of going cellular and getting rid of our landline too. BUT we have such a sweet deal on our land line. Our long distance calls will never be charged more than $20.00 no matter how long we talk. It maxes out at $20.00. This has happened only twice in four years. When Husband talked to me before we were married for 10 hours and when I called all of my family and friends when my sister died a year later. The total hours came to 30 that time.

We really want to go cellular and get rid of the landline. I was in an accident last month and felt so stranded when I couldn't call anyone. I had to depend on a witness to call the police!

Husband got caught in traffic coming home just last week - horrible accident held up traffic for 2 hours. He couldn't call me to say he was okay and would be late. After he was an hour late I called his work place and they said he left on time, but they heard on the radio that there had been an accident. So I decided to give him another two hours before I went hysterical.

His brother in Missouri has Verizon, my girlfriend in Washington state has Verizon. The rest of my family and friends have pay as you go or landlines.

I have researched out the cost of Alltell and Verizon. Next I guess I need to know is if they will work if I am living in Oregon? Within two years we will be moving to Oregon.

What can you tell me about Alltell and Verizon? Oh, do you know if the minutes roll over? Oh, we of course want the family plan- two phones.

in the years i've lived on my own..i always had a land line, never used it, just got telemarketers

most of the world only uses a cell now

qwest is shakin in thier boots

Even when we really didn't use the cell phone, we stuck to basic service, for about $15 a month. Line-backer made it $20. Now, we get our 'puter online access, so our total "landline" bill is $50. $70 for only telephone...that's out of control. LOL

Be a wise steward, but in emergency situations, the last service to die is a corded land-line phone.

Cell service is spotty, and quick to go during an emergency. My work requires my answering of the phone 24/7 regardless of cell service especially during an emergency. Landlines are a must for me. Put your cell phone on alert to notify you of dropped service, you will be suprised how often the networks go down. We have a landline, and 2 cell phones from different companies, so if sprint goes down, verizon will work or vice versa.

Iggy, when you're looking into a provider for a cellphone, there are some things you have to check:

Is the plan a local area only, or a national plan?

Is there roaming fees?

If I get one plan, can I change my plan without paying extra or extending my contract?

Get the coverage maps.

I know T-Mobile is a nationwide carrier. All digital. Their nationwide plans have no roaming. So anywhere you can pick up a cellphone signal you can talk, no extra charge.

Long distance, roaming, etc. are not extra. They simply take away from the minutes that you have in your plan.

There's generally "unlimited" options you can pay for, too. Such as unlimited incoming, and unlimited nights and weekends.

Your standard $60 family plan with them includes 2 phones, 700 minutes, unlimited nights and weekends starting at 9 PM, and unlimited mobile-to-mobile (so, between the two phones)

Compare Alltell and Verizon to this. See if Verizon has deal with talking to other customers (like your brother and law, and your girlfriend), and whether or not the rest of the plan is sound enough to go with it.