unmeaningful prayer.....

chocolatefan

i feel as if I am just talking to myself.. I have ALWAYS struggled with prayer. It has always been really hard for me. Should I go talk to my bishop about it? I pray outloud but I get distracted, but i really am trying to listen and feel comforted but nothing is happening... maybe i just dont have enough faith...

Don't worry about having a problem that is unique only to you. It seems this is common and it is hard for me as well. Something that I have found that works for me is this; if I picture myself actually talking to someone (which prayer is) I find that I get less distracted and the prayers go better. It makes it much more personal to me and seems to work well

Prayer is never unmeaningful. When ever is a childs word to their Father unmeaningful? Even if its an iquoherant babble, it still gives great pleasure to the parent. (Though I'm sure your doing a little more than that;))! Heavenly Father hears your prayers, I would suggest getting on your knees and saying a prayer asking if he is there. If he is listening to you. Pray with sincerity and a humble heart and do not be afraid. Then stay were you are, wait patiently and peacefully. Nothing may happen and do not panic but you just might be suprised. You won't get a big ban and an angel isn't going to come swooping down and tap you on the head but if you focus your mind you may find a peacful feeling in your soul. ^_^

Referring once more to Jesus' prayers among the Nephites, we identify another essential part of the pattern of prayer. It has already been mentioned that he addressed the Father and offered thanks for blessings received. He next used expressions such as: "Father, I pray thee that thou wilt give," "I pray unto thee for them," and "I pray not for the world, but for those whom thou hast given me out of the world." (3 Nephi 19:21, 23, 29.) These words teach us that prayers may properly include requests in behalf of others and petitions for divine assistance, forgiveness of sins, direction, and intervention.

It is not uncommon to hear the Saints pray for the prophet, the General Authorities, and their local priesthood leaders. Petitions to God requesting that the health of Church leaders be preserved, that their lives be extended, and that they continue to enjoy the companionship of the Holy Spirit are certainly timely and appropriate. All such petitions, however, should be prompted by sincere feelings and should not be spoken simply because others have used the same petitions.

Quite often we hear people pray for the full-time missionaries. This too is proper and acceptable, providing our prayers are honest. President Spencer W. Kimball has urged us to pray that the doors of nations will be opened to missionary work. He has pled with us to do all within our power to unlock these doors, but he realizes that divine intervention is requisite in some cases. Once Enos had obtained a forgiveness of his sins, he felt a desire for the welfare of his brethren, the Nephites. He, therefore, poured out his whole soul unto God for them. (See Enos 5-9.)

When we speak of petitioning Deity, we instinctively think of Amulek's classic testimony, which included thoughts about prayer. He urged the people to—

"Cry unto him for mercy. . . .

"Cry unto him when ye are in your fields, yea over all your flocks.

"Cry unto him in your houses, yea, over all your household. . . .

"Yea, cry unto him against the power of your enemies.

"Yea, cry unto him against the devil. . . .

"Cry unto him over the crops of your field, that ye may prosper in them.

"Yea, and when you do not cry unto the Lord, let your hearts be full, drawn out in prayer unto him continually for your welfare, and also the welfare of those who are around you." (Alma 34:18, 20-24, 27.)

I have always been impressed by the following counsel: ". . . call on his holy name, and watch and pray continually, that ye may not be tempted above that which ye can bear, and thus be led by the Holy Spirit. . . ." (Alma 13:28.) Such thoughts, such humble expressions are certainly appropriate as we petition God. The Savior's words were: "And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil." (3 Nephi 13:12.)

We have been promised that our Heavenly Father will forgive us of our trespasses if we forgive those who trespass against us. So, it is altogether fitting that we heed the Master's model and pray: "And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors." (3 Nephi 13:11.)

Two related cautions should be mentioned at this point. First, we must be willing to subject our petitions to the will of our Father in heaven. You will recall the Lord's prayer in Gethsemane. Amid pain, agony, blood-sweat, and tears he prayed, ". . . not my will, but thine, be done." (Luke 22:42.) In this instance he was applying that which he had taught his disciples earlier, for he had instructed them to pray, "Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven." (3 Nephi 13:10.) Anytime we use the language "Thy will be done" or "If it be thy will," it should ring with conviction and never be lip service only. Second, we must attune ourselves to the Spirit so that our petitions are in complete harmony with divine will. Kindly note the following scriptures and the italicized words:

". . . whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive." (Matthew 21:22. Italics added.)

". . . Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, which is right, believing that ye shall receive, behold it shall be given unto you." (3 Nephi 18:20. Italics added.)

"Whatsoever ye ask the Father in my name it shall be given unto you, that is expedient for you." (D&C 88:64. Italics added.)

It seems that some people read the Lord's promise contained in the first scripture above and assume that through their prayers of faith, desired blessings will be claimed automatically. They may assume that what they are requesting is right or expedient, and that all they need to do is voice the prayer. This assumption would be proper and correct if the petitioner were completely righteous, completely in harmony with the Spirit, inspired to know fully the will of the Lord, and inclined to ask for that which is not contrary to God's will.

Would that all of us were worthy to receive the blessing pronounced upon Nephi, the son of Helaman:

"Blessed art thou, Nephi, for those things which thou hast done; for I have beheld how thou hast with unwearyingness declared the word, which I have given unto thee, unto this people. And thou has not feared them, and hast not sought thine own life, but hast sought my will, and to keep my commandments.

"And now, because thou hast done this with such unwearyingness, behold, I will bless thee forever; and I will make thee mighty in word and in deed, in faith and in works; yea, even that all things shall be done unto thee according to thy word, for thou shalt not ask that which is contrary to my will." (Helaman 10:4-5. Italics added.)

The promise to all of us is: ". . . if ye are purified and cleansed from all sin, ye shall ask whatsoever you will in the name of Jesus and it shall be done. But know this, it shall be given you what you shall ask." (D&C 50:29-30.)

I agree with Steven. I had traditionally struggled with prayer and the visualizing helps. I think also adjusting expectations. If I decide God's mind before he does, it doesn't work out too well. But if I pray in my most sincere and authentic self and I give God the freedom in my mind to act however and whenever He will, that helps to increase my faith too. I kinda just put myself out there and then trust that He will take care of the rest.

I find that during personal prayer I talk to my HF like I would talk to my dad (except with WAY less sarcasm!!). I just let him know what I'm thinking about, struggling with and how I hope things will go. It really helps me to go into my prayers like that. I first make sure I express the gratitude I have in my heart for everything I have in my life. It's amazing how starting with that makes me feel closer to my HF...like I realize that all the good in my life is a direct gift from him and that makes me feel closer and then I "talk" to him. Faith that He is there and listening brings vasts amounts of comfort and feelings of love when I need them most. Prayer is a wonderful gift that we should never be afraid to use. Miss has it right... Put yourself out there and trust that He will take care of the rest :)

If you want some ideas that are a little out of the box, try these:

Write down an outline for your prayer before you give it. This is really only reasonable to do for personal prayers, but take some time to think about what you would most like to talk about. Write the ideas down, and then talk about them. Even if you only do it once or twice a week, it might help you share more meaningful thoughts.

Tell some jokes. God has an incredible sense of humor. And the great thing is, even though he's heard all the jokes before, he still laughs.

Carry a note card with you, write down things that strike you as odd, funny, profound, or otherwise something worthy of sharing with a friend. Share a few of these during your prayer at night.

Try to see how long you can pray without the bulleted version of prayer found on missionary flip charts.

I also have some really really irreverent ideas, but I'd probably be burned at the stake if I shared them.

Vision had great advice, praying for faith and also pray to feel heard. Communicating through prayer is unique that you are using a differnt form of sences. To become open and humble takes time visit Enos in the Book of Mormon, I am sure you will relate. Hevenly Father always hears us and you can always feel that even if you don't get an answer. This may sound strange but sometimes there is a part of us not wanting to feel, that open to the spirt, to give control to your desire to pray. Try this next time you kneel down ,after amen, don't just pop up, take some time to feel the peace that comes from true humble prayer.

After reading these posts I have pinpointed what it is that makes me feel unsure about praying.

I still feel like I'm not worthy enough to talk to God. I do pray with sincerity but I also feel embarassed and start stumbling over words, even in my personal prayers. I do understand that He is my Father in Heaven, but a part of me (a very small part) still feels like I'm still one of his bad kids. It's okay guys -- I can hear the posts now,LOL! This has been a useful revelation! Onward and upward!

After reading these posts I have pinpointed what it is that makes me feel unsure about praying.

I still feel like I'm not worthy enough to talk to God. I do pray with sincerity but I also feel embarassed and start stumbling over words, even in my personal prayers. I do understand that He is my Father in Heaven, but a part of me (a very small part) still feels like I'm still one of his bad kids. It's okay guys -- I can hear the posts now,LOL! This has been a useful revelation! Onward and upward!

Good insight. It is critical that you understand that your Father in Heaven loves you unconditionally not because of what you do or don't but because of who you are!! He already knows everything about you thus the point of the exercise is for you to trust in Him and come to Him for help, support, guidance, strength and everything else you may stand in need of.

Have no fear, just bare your soul to Him and watch what happens!

Interesting hread. I too have always had problems with prayer. Ive never felt Ive got anything out of it, or answered. I feel a little silly truth be told, talking to someone who isnt there. I never know what to say either, or even what to pray about. When I do get down to pray my mind goes blank, I never have anything to say. The visualising ideas are good. I still feel a little uncomfortable praying though.h

As a kid I used to do memorised prayers. As a teen I probably did overdo 'grand' prayers: the worship and worthlessness kind. Somewhere along the way I realised a few things : So here goes my embarassing list:

God already knows everything...what your problems are and what help you need and what's going on in your life and how much you are obedient, faithful and where you are at...it's to put you into connection with God..not the other way around.

The value of immediate prayer is a wonderful thing..no one needs to know about it. Closing your eyes, getting on your knees and folding your hands...are you really going to do all that in the face of an oncoming truck with a split second to spare. I think, learning to pray like my life depended on it...not just when I think my life depends on it has been one of my betterish choices.

For all our technology..fibre optic cable and mobile phones are poor comparison. No batteries needed. It also takes time to learn how to text message..prayer is easier.

God is busy...but prayer seems to be right up there on His list of things you should be doing. Bother away.

You learn and grow a lot from doing it...so the hurdles like feeling silly or wondering if you've just made a fool of yourself in front of God are worth overcoming.

I know the difference right away if I don't.

I still dislike praying publicly.

I still think I'm doing it wrong all of the time> it falls under the category of DIA> Do it anyway : )

Edited by WANDERER

Candyprpl, even if you were a "bad kid", you are still HIS bad kid...and I think we all have a hard time believing that Heavenly Father aches to give us good things.

I'm no expert on prayer...but I would like to learn to pray more with my heart and less with my head. A heart filled with love and gratitude would be a mighty prayer indeed.