Is Church Art Whitewashed?

Hemidakota

May I point out that at the time it was a custom in Hebrew law to keep oneself groomed and pedicured? :P

Yeah, well, and I suppose there was also a dentist down the street for the teeth, and a gym for the six-pack?! :P

I did find some wonderful pic's of the Saviour in a little store~ Showing Him as Isaiah describes Him...as "having no form nor comeliness, and no beauty that we should desire Him..."

But, of course, there was the barber shop to help with that also!!! LOL

Originally Posted by Hemidakota

Inside the Temple hangs a accurate depiction of the Savior. Why? The critic of that time was President David O’ McKay. Several times the artist had to go back and keep correcting his art work prior to hanging it on the interior wall of the temple.

This sounds a bit urban-legend-ish to me. What's the source?

LM

Most of the pic's I see, especially the most recent, seem to be a reflection of our societies' dreams/desires today. It's a joke to me. The Saviour probably had the characteristics of a middle-easterner, black hair and brown eyes. There was even dark skinned ancestors in his genealogy. Nothing like the European Caucasian's depicted in the art centuries ago, or even today.

Yes, of course, the Saviour was probably "fit" as a result of the hard labor he (and everyone in that day and age) was required to perform on a daily basis. He was probably also calloused, scarred, and worn.

The modern day pic's of Him make Him look like a movie star, to me. Clean, well groomed and with a great pedicure, LOL. So unrealistic, so feeding into our carnal desires for wealth and beauty.

Even pic's of Joseph Smith portray him as so good-looking. Nothing like the meek, humble sould I saw in the only dageurreotype of him.

Then there was the picture of, I believe Helaman, with the Stripling Warriors. He had on a head plate and a plated/pleated skirt. He reminded me of that martian in the Bugs Bunny cartoons with that costume on!!

Well, I prefer the lesser known artists that depict the Saviour differently. They are out there, thank goodness, and a far better rendition than the popular ones out there.

Hi Dove, i feel that the words below do indeed depict the time that Jesus visited the peoples of the ancient america's and they say that when the Spaniards landed the people thought that the " white gods " of their ancestors had returned.

This is good enough for myself and others to go with the fair haired fair skinned theory ;)

WHEN CORTEZ and his soldiers arrived in South America, they were welcomed by the Indians as the ‘White Gods’ who had visited their ancestors in the very dawn of their history, bestowing upon them the blessings of civilisation. The Indians were soon to learn that, far from being ‘White Gods’, the Spaniards were robbers and murderers, inspired not by benevolence but by lust for gold. The Spaniards, on their part, were awed by the magnificent temples and palaces and by the profusion of gold objects. They found the Indians enjoying the benefits of an evolved civilisation. Their kings wore robes of Tyrian purple (the Phoenicians obtained this dye from a type of shellfish). They wore crowns; sat on thrones: employed heraldic devices and standards. They used cups and spoons. The Spaniards were astonished to learn that their priest taught about the Flood, the Tower of Babel, Heaven and Hell and also themes from both Egyptian and Greek mvtlology. They used incense in religious ceremonies; sprinkled infants with water; held festivals which the Spaniards found were astonishingly like their own Church festivals and held on the same dates. They met rulers and nobles who were fair-haired and fair-skinned, who spoke a different language from their subjects and would not intermingle with them.

Read all about it here.

Trail-Blazing for King Solomon

When talking about art... I think the artist is free to do with the subject what ever they feel like, ofcourse in the frames of deacensy. If someone paints a smiling Jesus on the cross that person emphazises the inside happiness of Jesus, as he can save us all. Then again if someone paints Jesus in pain... he wants to emphazise his pain.

Whitewashed or not.... hmmm... I think it is a matter of emphazising maybe values that for many is not the first thing they think.

Hemidakota: Inside the Temple hangs a accurate depiction of the Savior. Why? The critic of that time was President David O’ McKay. Several times the artist had to go back and keep correcting his art work prior to hanging it on the interior wall of the temple.

LM: This sounds a bit urban-legend-ish to me. What's the source?
Hemidakota: LA temple President during the 80s.
So, where did he write it down? What book can this claim be found in? Was this a personal conversation you are recollecting 20 years later? Has anyone heard the current LA temple president make the same claim? Did President McKay ever repeat this claim somewhere verifiable? Got link?

I'm looking for a source. Right now, all we've got is "Hemidakota, an anonymous poster, claims that 20 years ago, an unnamed temple president claimed that President McKay said it." That's almost a quarter-century old third hand account - quite a lot to swallow on faith and trust...

LM

So, where did he write it down? What book can this claim be found in? Was this a personal conversation you are recollecting 20 years later? Has anyone heard the current LA temple president make the same claim? Did President McKay ever repeat this claim somewhere verifiable? Got link?

I'm looking for a source. Right now, all we've got is "Hemidakota, an anonymous poster, claims that 20 years ago, an unnamed temple president claimed that President McKay said it." That's almost a quarter-century old third hand account - quite a lot to swallow on faith and trust...

LM

We swallow a lot on faith and trust........:D I have heard similar stories....like the one where a man visits a newly called Apostle who was his friend in a former ward and while at the Apostles office he comments on how beautiful the painting is of the Savior hanging on his wall and the Apostle replys, "Yes, it is beautiful, but it doesn't look anything like him."

I wonder if the Savior wears longer hair and a beard as the paintings depict and a robe or is he clean shaven and short haired .....maybe dressed in.....what ever he wants??

The problem is that many things that have made it to become just standardly known and accepted as truth within the church. Rarely do these things get shown as a hoax. I'm now trying to figure out how many stories, and things that have actually made it to the "doctrine" level, that were just made up stories to begin with.

How accurate is accurate? I don't think there have been any particular descriptions of what Jesus looks like in the Bible.

http://www.cynical-c.com/archives/bloggraphics/ht_Messiah_Movie_080215_ms.jpg

Well, this is the way the Iranians depict Jesus and from what I understand both Josephus and tradition has Jesus as a chestnut to red headed man.

Edited by Fiannan

Remember, some paintings are cropped for the media. There are missing details in a few that I have already seen. The one that comes to mind is the Moroni and Mormon on top of the hill, while the bottom portion was removed.

The first time I saw the full version of that painting was on a tour of the Conference Center, in the room where they have the originals. YOWZAS!! I can certainly understand WHY they edit it! :o