Modern Children's Television, the downfall of society.....

Jbs2763

Thanks....I thought I was the only member in my house could see, bad acting, bad scripts, and total waste of studio money. Yet, it amazes me my last child would stand to watch it. Then we can add, if I can act, I can sing, if I can sing, I can act. Hmm...is it me or just the perception of Disney is that they can do both? :lol: Don't get me wrong, entertainment is entertainment to me and nothing more. They have their place in life. Nor do I honor them above those as our media would do, who are the real heroes of this world that will inherit the Celestial Kingdom but treat them as I would treat our local sanitation man. :)

The last 50-60 years of Horrorwood has proven effective in changing the mindset of the majority view on life. What shall befall our future generations from this group?

I won't even let my girls watch Nickelodeon because the shows are so asinine! All except Backyardigans. I love love love that show! LOL I think I like it more than they do.

Most of the shows on Disney aren't too bad, although they are going downhill. Aryka's really into Hannah Montana, and although it's not my favorite I don't mind her watching it too much.

Whatever happened to kids enjoying Sesame Street and Mister Rogers? I try to get Aryka to watch them and she just rolls her eyes at me. LOL

I always thought the teletubbies were creepy. Anyone else?

Yeah! You'd probably need to be on something to be entertained!

Here's my shameful confession...I liked "Saved by the Bell" when I was a young teen. Though my favorite show in my youth was "Wonder Years"...Don't anyone insult that one!

My daughter likes "Superwhy". Its pretty catchy!:coolrockon:

Guest GhostRider

Ok..i dont have kids..but have 2 little nephs...

Good shows...

Babys first has some good ones..Tec the tractor...its cool

Sagwa..good show...teaches all kinds of good things!

The Backyardagins...good show..but..my littlest neph has a toy that plays the theme over and over and over. the batteries met mr trashcan and oscar the grouch!

Bad shows...um..there was one..some kind of Avitar thingy..wow..dorve me insane...

Poke mon? ugh

um...oh yeah...anything on nickalodeon...i hear nicks theme song and i think..ok..what else...oh look guys..REAL cartoons..Bugs Bunny..tom and Jerry...GI Joe ( ok..for a real american hero...they need to go back and take BRM...1 billion shots fired..nobody got hit? jmho lol)

I always thought the teletubbies were creepy. Anyone else?

Actually, whoever created the Teletubbies really knows their early children's psychology. Studies have shown that a toddler's optic preferences are for round edges, soft patterns and slow movements (shows like Sesamie Street have been criticized for being too past pace and not allowing a child's brain to focus on an image long enough to really gain anything from it except perhaps the inability to be able to focus in general if they are exposed to it too much). One reason I cancelled Disney recently is that the cartoons they mass produce seem hypnotic in being fast paced and basically junkfood for the mind (as well as perpetuating the whole middle-school and high school stereotypes -- with the kids who look like outsiders always being the bad kids). Nicholodeon is a part of MTV and while I may not like MTV's politics I have noticed the cartoons tend to be more educational, portray "outsider" kids generally as the good kids and don't try to hyptotize the kids with fast visual changes.

I do suggest people buy movies (i.e. Pixar films) and classic cartoons (Tom and Jerry, Loony Toons, and other older cartoons) for their kids.

As for my children's favorites, my 7 year old absolutely loves "The Winx Club", I do suppose some people might not like the show's concentration on magic or the skimpy outfits the female heros wear (oh well, it's Italian produced). She also watches a couple of Japanamation cartoons made for young people. All my kids like Spongebob (even the teens) and the little ones can watch shows like Tom and Jerry all day.

Guest TheLutheran

Hi Friends!

I teach preschool and, following a recent visit by one student's firefighter father, we were discussing careers. Several kids wanted to be a cartoon character who can fix anything. I know it wasn't Bob the Builder. Does anyone know who they might be talking about?

:popcorn:

SpongeBob is my daughter's favorite. Does anyone here have an opinion on Moral Orel of the Cartoon Network? I remember seeing the prayer competition episode and thinking that BYU could beat TCU at that.

Posted Image

I have watched that show but I have found it to be a little out there. But what can you expect from a show geared to be a comedy for adults.

Adult swim on cartoon network is suppose to be for adults.. LOL..:D

My daughter likes "Superwhy". Its pretty catchy!

Not bad compared to some others, but the whole "let's change classic stories, causing them to lose their entire meaning all for the sake of making it fit the OTHER story" thing irks me. I wish they would use the stories to illustrate the values that they were initially intended to.

I don't really like any children's television. It seems to be a poor substitute for parents interacting and teaching their children. Not saying that I'm the best at keeping my son away from the screen - ever since he figured out how to turn the TV on by himself, it's been a constant struggle. The TV spends a lot of time unplugged. I wish Mr. Rogers was on either of the PBS stations in Utah. I think his approach to imagination vs. reality, music, curiosity, and healthy expressions of emotion is what I'd like my son to grow up watching if he can't keep his little finger away from the ON button.

My kids watched barney, still watch arthur, watched wishbone,watch super why, and hanna montanna - its so raven - and the suite life on saturday mornings. Other than that they watch ones we have bought. I dream of jeanie, bewitched, full house, brady bunch, scooby doo. I don't think it matters much unless your counting on tv to educate and raise your kids. All things in moderation. My son who is now 15 loved the power rangers and gi joe when he was little. I watched with him. And oh yes we did the pokeman thing. Didn't think it would ever end. Now at 15 my biggest concern is cartoons that are disguised as for teens (simpsons, family guy, south park) all banned here. I know, I know I am too strict. Hear it all the time.

My kids watched barney, still watch arthur, watched wishbone,watch super why, and hanna montanna - its so raven - and the suite life on saturday mornings. Other than that they watch ones we have bought. I dream of jeanie, bewitched, full house, brady bunch, scooby doo. I don't think it matters much unless your counting on tv to educate and raise your kids. All things in moderation. My son who is now 15 loved the power rangers and gi joe when he was little. I watched with him. And oh yes we did the pokeman thing. Didn't think it would ever end. Now at 15 my biggest concern is cartoons that are disguised as for teens (simpsons, family guy, south park) all banned here. I know, I know I am too strict. Hear it all the time.

Actually I don't allow South Park or Family Guy to be watched either. I've caught my teen boys with it on and they know..mom's here turn the channel quick. I find nothing at all wholesome about either of those shows. In fact I was embarrassed at a couple of things I heard. Made even me blush and that's hard to do.