Household wipes.

Rickydee

• 2 weeks later...

There are "Medical Wipes" that are designed for wound cleaning.

However, "Household Wipes" may have bleach and other cleaning chemical agents in them that may cause more harm than good. Read the label and see if yours are recommended for medical purposes.

Personally I would go to my first aid kit for wound care just to be safe.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I use antibacterial household cleaning type, to clean my hands after doing something particularly germy, like draining the holding tanks of my trailer. But I use the baby wipe type (meant for skin) for most other bodily cleaning (like face washing) this is simply a soapy preparation. However there are antibacterial "Medical" usage wipes, mostly containing Benzalkonium chloride (what used to be in Bactine)

Betadine wipes, and Phisohex are both pretty toxic (turns out after we in the medical field used them for so many years) so pretty much have to avoid those for wholesale use on skin.

Last year I had a parvo outbreak and used cans of the wipes that contain bleach. I bleached everything in site including me. The one dog lived in my bathroom for nearly 3 months and I had to wipe myself down before going around the other dogs. Bleach is a good thing. In a pich I would use it on a wound to keep it clean and keep contaminates out.

BTW ... the Tamiflu that they are saying works on the swine flu saved my dogs life. Turned her from deaths door over night. Good stuff!

In my CERT training, we were taught to use anything we could lay our hands on as a dressing, as long as it was moderately clean. If you got a bone sticking out of you, better to cover the wound with a coat then leave it open to infection.

LM

Covering a open wound with a wipe and cleaning it out with a lysol or clorox wipe are two different things.

Last year I had a parvo outbreak and used cans of the wipes that contain bleach. I bleached everything in site including me. The one dog lived in my bathroom for nearly 3 months and I had to wipe myself down before going around the other dogs. Bleach is a good thing. In a pich I would use it on a wound to keep it clean and keep contaminates out.

BTW ... the Tamiflu that they are saying works on the swine flu saved my dogs life. Turned her from deaths door over night. Good stuff!

Bleach is good for external cleaning... but not for open wounds.