A Question About Youth Tithing

RickJ

I am hoping that you all might be able to clarify a question I have about tithing...

Currently I am the only one in the house working and we pay our tithes on my gross income each fortnight. We give our children a small amount of pocket money each week - they do not have to do anything for it and it is only $2.00.

As the money has already had the tithes paid on it and our children do not "earn" the money - it is given to them by us as a gift - do they have to pay tithing on this?

When they do small jobs for other people and they are paid for it (they earn the money) then we get them to pay tithing.

The question has raised its head as our 13 year old daughter was denied a temple recommend recently because she had not paid tithing and she received pocket money.

Just wondering what others thoughts are on it and if there is anywhere I can go to get clarification on it.

I remember my uncle giving me twenty pennies or nickles, with the point being to count how much tithing to pay and to remember to pay tithing on that income. My kids pay tithing on birthday money, etc., as well as on any earnings that they have (well, unless they forget or choose not to - nobody is perfect). My understanding is that we pay tithing, not because we earned money, but because it is a commandment, and so that we will remember that all that we have comes from the Lord, whether we worked to get it or not. It seems like it would have been easier when people tithed on what their lands produced, because maybe it would have been easier to see that all of that grain or fruit or whatever grew because God caused it to, rather than I go to work and my employer deposits money in my bank account.

But I digress. I would tend to feel that the purpose of youth paying tithing is so that they will learn that all that they receive is the Lord's, irregardless of why they receive it. But maybe the purpose of the pocket money would make a difference. For example, if I gave my children money that was to pay for their lunch or school fees or some other specific purpose, then I would not expect that they would pay tithing on that money. If it is their discretionary money that they can spend as they choose, then I would think that the decision to pay tithing would come into play.

I would say yes they ought to pay tithing on it, so that they have opportunity to learn the concept of tithing first hand, and gain a testimony of it. Do they "have" to? Probably not, since as you said, you've already paid tithing on it.

My parents never gave me an allowance, but they did help me learn financial concepts with birthday/Christmas money. Ten percent to tithing, 50% to savings, and the rest to spending. I will probably do the same with my children, so that they can learn what they need to, even though personally I don't necessarily consider gifts as tithe-able.

For such a black and white issue, tithing sure has a lot of gray.

This could so easily spiral out of control. The basic question we are trying to answer is on what should we be paying tithing? If we go with the scriptural answer, then we say we pay tithing on our increase. But go asking around the Church what 'increase' means and you'll get bombarded with explanations, all of which have some sort of inconsistency.

If we consider increase to be any form of compensation, then things like gift cards should be tithed. But on the other hand, gift cards are a restricted commodity in that we may only use them in places where they are accepted. I can't pay tithing on my gift card with my gift card. So I have to deduct funds from somewhere else in my accounts to pay the tithing on my gift card. Ideally, I could then use the gift card to buy whatever I would have bought with the cash deducted from my account, but that really only works if it's something I would have bought anyway. But if my brother buys me a $50 gift card to Olive Garden, I could pay $5 tithing on it, but then I can't use the gift card to buy the gallon of milk I would otherwise have used the cash for.

Come to think of it, what if my brother paid his tithing before he bought the gift card? Isn't it already tithed then? Is it tithed with respect to him, but not with respect to me and needs to be tithed again? What if I pay a tithe on the gift card and then give the gift card to someone else? Should I only pay tithing on a gift card if the person giving it to me has not paid their tithing?

When trying to determine if you should or shouldn't pay tithing on something, I find it best to focus on what tithing is intended to teach us. Tithing is in place so that we may contribute to the building of the Kingdom of God. It is in place to help us remember what blessings we have received from the Lord, and to help us express gratitude for what we have received. Ultimately, the Law of Tithing is to the Law of Consecration what the Aaronic Priesthood is to the Melchizedek Priesthood--a preparatory commitment. If the ultimate goal is to be willing to give anything you possess to God's Kingdom, then the definition of 'increase' is much less important than the willingness and sincerity with which you give whatever tithe you give.

Also, let's not forget the Fast Offering. If you feel you have a lot of gray area items that you aren't sure if you should tithe or not, then perhaps that's a time when you can give a more generous fast offering. Tithing may be what determines one's worthiness for the temple, but it's the willingness and generosity (relative to one's ability to give) of the Fast Offering that really determines the quality of the individual.

So I'm with Palerider...give what you feel is right to give. If you feel good about the tithe you pay, then hold your head high when you declare yourself a full-tithe payer. If you're not so sure, talk it over with your Bishop and get his counsel. But don't sweat the small stuff. There are plenty of noble pursuits in the world that are in greater need of that sweat than tithing on gift cards.

As for the $2.00 for your children, again, it's what you feel is right. If it were my children, I would opt to have them pay tithing for no other reason than to help them develop a familiarity, to take the opportunity to explain why we pay tithing, where the money goes, and to give them the opportunity to talk with the Bishop each year about tithing and to make their own declaration of their tithing status. But this is based in my belief that they won't gain a testimony of tithing if they don't pay tithing. Just my take, and I won't be offended if you disagree.

Edited by MarginOfError

I pay tithing on cash gifts. This is regardless of if the giver is LDS and paid tithing on it first, or not. I would expect children to do the same. Any monetary gain, earned or received as a gift, or found, or whatever the circumstance, if it's gain, I pay tithing on it. The way my bishop explained it was any monetary gain should be tithed. This includes money earned from work, gifts, selling something for a profit, etc. If I was to walk outside and have money raining down from the sky, I would, with out a doubt, pay tithing on that!

Tithing can be a very complicated question. I wonder about whether I should pay tithing on student loans. I think that it is not really increase since I don't actually get to have the money and spend it any way that I want to (although I can use some of it for living expenses, after tuition). Also, I don't get to keep it. I will have to pay it back to the lender plus interest. So I think it is not really income, any more than the loan on your house or car is income.

Another question I have is for people who live at poverty level (or maybe also those of us who live beyond our means), and when you add up the monthly bills compared to net income, there isn't ten percent left. Under those circumstances, I have tried to pay tithing and kept it up for a few months before bills got out of hand and I had no choice but to pay the bills instead of tithing. I didn't need welfare to pay the bills, but simply couldn't pay them and also pay tithing. At some points I was doing without luxuries like heating the house beyond enough to keep pipes from freezing, and wearing heavy coats all of the time.

I struggle with tithing, because often my ideal is beyond my capabilities. I would rather live the law of consecration, and volunteer anything that I have including my services or goods that I can produce. But maybe the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. When the law of consecration was attempted, people refused to give their excess, for fear that they might actually need it, or maybe they thought that they could make better use of it than the Lord could (or the bishop or prophet or other who might receive it). It really is easier said than done. Even if I offered my services, how easy would it be to say I just really don't have any extra time this week because of all of the other demands on my time. I'm not sure that I have any real answers here, other than that I can offer ideals. Ultimately it is between an individual and the Lord.

There is no doubt in my mind that parents should help young folks learn to pay tithing and give them opportunities to do so. I am concerned that a temple recommend was denied for a young person. Did this young person deliberately and knowing stop paying tithing? I have a hard time seeing that a 13 year old could officially expected to have increase. Minors don't generally have increase. They are solely supported by their parents. I suppose the bishop might be trying to teach a lesson here, but I would question such a decision if I were the parents.

Another question I have is for people who live at poverty level (or maybe also those of us who live beyond our means), and when you add up the monthly bills compared to net income, there isn't ten percent left.

The trick is to take out the 10 percent first and THEN take out the rest of the bills. This is coming from someone who has lived off of an income that sometimes was $400 for the month. That was for me and my hubby and our baby. Thank you failed business! Throughout that hard financial time, I was very blessed. I will always pay my tithing, no matter how much or how little.

our stake presidency encourages us to pay our children pocket money so they can learn about tithing, my 5 year old has paid tithing on her pocket money since she was 2. my son is 2 but not qute ready yet so we just do it up for him and he hands it to a member of the branch presidency.

-Charley

Another question I have is for people who live at poverty level (or maybe also those of us who live beyond our means), and when you add up the monthly bills compared to net income, there isn't ten percent left. Under those circumstances, I have tried to pay tithing and kept it up for a few months before bills got out of hand and I had no choice but to pay the bills instead of tithing. I didn't need welfare to pay the bills, but simply couldn't pay them and also pay tithing. At some points I was doing without luxuries like heating the house beyond enough to keep pipes from freezing, and wearing heavy coats all of the time.

might receive it). It really is easier said than done. .

I paid my tithing then went to the Bishop who helped us draw up a budget and work out our shortfall - but I didn't at recommendation of my Bishop at the time pay my tithing on Student Loans just everything else - it was not my money and it was expected to be paid back if I earned over a certain amount.

-Charley

Hi everyone

Thank you all so much for the comments, suggestions and encouragement.

What my sweetheart and I have decided is that from this point on the kids pocket money and any other monies that they earn or any other increase they receive that is given to them for them to spend as they wish should have tithing paid on it. We will encourage them to place 10% of what ever money they receive into a "Tithing Tin" that we will have on the kitchen bench and at the end of each month the money will be paid to the Bishop.

To Misshalfway - tithing was the reason our 13 year old was denied her temple recommend, no she has not chosen to not pay tithing, I just never got around to teaching the need to tithe in time as we have only very recently introduced the idea of pocket money or an allowance in to the home.

I have spoken with the member of the bishopric that interviewed Kaitie and he explained to me his feelings and the promptings he was receiving during the interview. I now feel that this has happened by design from the Lord so that we have the opportunity to have the lesson of tithing fully taught and the practice of tithing fully implemented in our home by the end of the year.

Tithing is such a blessing and I know that it is through faithful tithe paying that my family has been blessed many times, particular by my having a well paying job that allows my sweetheart to stay at home with our younger kids - something we never thought would be possible in today's economic climate.

Thank you all again for your love and compassion.

• 2 weeks later...

I would say yes. . . it is an "increase" for them personally. And the goal is to teach them that the law of tithing is important.

applepansy

For me its easier to give it back to the Lord, when in doubt. He's capable of sorting it out,you know his way,no one can imagine the riches he has instore for us. This is what young people need to know. works for me,an mine.