Does anyone else have a hard time at TV time

jolee65

We have a hard time went it comes to sitting down and watching TV together he never want to watch the kind of shows I watch and I dont really like the kind of shows he likes, but if im already watching a program when hes reading and decides to come up stairs to watch tv he really gets upset if im watching something he has no interest in.

He likes talk TV politics, history channel, military channel and im into reality shows, crime and medical programs. theres alot of times I try to find something in between.

Wow, jolee, this sounds like my wife and me. Whenever we both share the tv, we end up just looking for something that we both like. Then again, we've been married long enough to not really care as long as it's something entertaining. We also have no problem watching our own thing on two different TV's. But I don't watch much TV anyway so she takes the TV and I log on to the internet in the family room. Things seem much better when we make it about being together rather then wanting our own way.

After 33 years married we finally have a tv in the bedroom. Before that only in the family room. The one in the bedroom was a trade off. She gets the little dog and I get a tv in the bedroom.

99% of what we watch we watch and enjoy together. Only My Name is Earl she doesn't like. I record it downstairs and watch it later. Other than that we watch stuff together. If I am not very interested I always have my laptop on the couch and we still sit together and she watches her show while I chat.

Ben Raines

My husband and I have different tastes in what we watch...and I am a "flipper"; I will have three shows "going", and it drives him crazy...which is why we have separate tvs...:D...also, I like to watch in the dark; he likes a light on.

In our home my husband is the "flipper" and it drives me nuts. When we're watching TV together as a family it drives everybody crazy, he stays in one channel long enough for us to start enjoying the show when he starts flipping those channels. Everyone just starts disappearing one by one and he ends all by himself with the remote control and the TV.

:D(...also, I like to watch in the dark; he likes a light on.) Truegrits are we still talking about the TV?:D

In our home my husband is the "flipper" and it drives me nuts. When we're watching TV together as a family it drives everybody crazy, he stays in one channel long enough for us to start enjoying the show when he starts flipping those channels. Everyone just starts disappearing one by one and he ends all by himself with the remote control and the TV.

Rain, my watching two or three things at once started because I HATE commercials...so when they come on I will watch a second show...back and forth. Works well for me. Now, sometimes I will forget where I was previously, but that is what re-runs are for, right!!! :lol:

:D(...also, I like to watch in the dark; he likes a light on.) Truegrits are we still talking about the TV?:D

ARE WE????? ;)

We have a hard time went it comes to sitting down and watching TV together he never want to watch the kind of shows I watch and I dont really like the kind of shows he likes, but if im already watching a program when hes reading and decides to come up stairs to watch tv he really gets upset if im watching something he has no interest in.

He likes talk TV politics, history channel, military channel and im into reality shows, crime and medical programs. theres alot of times I try to find something in between.

I have the same issue also but at times would sit through a show with the family, having a family quality time being together.

That's why we have 4 tv's as well. Family Room and one in each bedroom. We are all into movies but like different kinds so we each have dvd players as well.

Pam, we have eight televisions...:eek: each bedroom; the den; the living room; the dining room (hidden in the china hutch) a small one in the utility room (doing laundry is boring, right?) and hubby's office. There are no arguments/fights in this home over the t.v.!!!

I try to watch what he likes but there usually so boooringgg, its like back when I lived with my grama and she had 4-5 channels and it was Sunday, winter time, to young to drive and all thats on is a old black and white movie with people I dont even know and the day drags on foreveeeeerrrr. lol

jolee:

From the post, it seems like it is mostly "his" way/choice. Maybe you can "alternate"...he picks a show,then you get to choose one. It shouldn't be one person making all the choices.

I'd hardly call television time quality together time anyway, unless you're both open to talking about the show while watching. Otherwise, the TV is the only one talking.

There was a guy with which television time actually was some really good quality time, though, because we'd laugh at and talk about whatever ridiculous thing was happening (we both liked to watch shows like Survivorman, Man vs Wild and Mantracker), and then we'd eventually start ignoring the tv. :)

Edited by Heavenguard
It's a man that's versus the wild, not a Bear =P

This is exactly why I couldn't live without my DVR!!! I usually record what I want to watch while hubby is watching his shows. Then I can watch it later and it's even better anyway because I get to FF through commercials!

We've also just learned to be bored through each others shows a lot of the time so that we can have that time together. I learned to like Heroes just to spend some time with him, he's learned to like a couple shows for me, like House. Still can't get him into Desperate Housewives though! (Yes, I know, I'm going to hell! ;) My mom tells me all the time! LOL)

I didn't think there were many people like my husband and I when it came to tv. Seems I'm wrong. We have no programs we like to watch together. He watches downstairs and I watch in the bedroom. We decided to go and see a movie together one night but gave up because there was nothing on that we both wanted to see!

Kyra beat me to it but I agree... the best solution is the DVR. Not only do you record the shows that you want to watch later that he or she may not like but you can record the shows that you both like to watch and then when you sit down together at the TV just pull up the DVR recorded list and pick a show that you both like. Problem solved. Happy TV'n.