Will not

Dr T

Ok, so my question is this, "Why isn't the word 'willn't' a contraction for will not?" My daughter says it all the time. Like if I say move your drink farther forward on the table so u will not spill it" she says, "I willn't daddy." I LOVE that! :lol:

Hey Dr. T!

Long time no see :)

Hope this helps...

"won’t doesn’t come from will not but rather from woll not, an alternate form that existed into the mid-1800s. Will muscled out woll, but won’t muscled out willn’t. Just another weird bit fact about English."

Preposterous Apostrophes VII: Why Won’t Willn’t Work? Motivated Grammar

Ok, so my question is this, "Why isn't the word 'willn't' a contraction for will not?" My daughter says it all the time. Like if I say move your drink farther forward on the table so u will not spill it" she says, "I willn't daddy." I LOVE that! :lol:

this used to be a term in english. it has fallen out of popularity. the same is true of mayn't (may not). i am somewhat of a novice jane austen scholar, and her works are repleat with examples such as the one you mentioned.

I'm glad that it'snot is not a word. It is not. Isn't is bad enough of a contraction.

My cousin said it'snot or more often is'snot. My Dad would then ask her, What is snot? She also got her "sh's" and "f's" mixed up. Instead of saying, shuffle the deck, she said Fusshel the Deck. The other are not for the public board. But it sure was funny coming from a 4 year old.