WoW question

Guest Godless

This is a serious (I swear) question that I've had for a while. I'm a beer aficionado, and as such the following passage has always struck me as odd.

D&C 89:17

"Nevertheless, wheat for man, and corn for the ox, and oats for the horse, and rye for the fowls and for swine, and for all beasts of the field, and barley for all useful animals, and for mild drinks, as also other grain."

What is meant by "mild drinks" in this clear reference to uses for grains and, specifically, barley? The smart-aleck in me can't help but think of beer when I read this, though I'm sure that this isn't what was being referenced. Any insight?

Guest Godless

You should check out the post I just put up here Give More-Worry Less

Of the two lists of issues you listed in your blog, the second one was the most relevent factor in my leaving the Church. It had nothing to do with the WoW. This was just a curiosity question left over from my semi-active years.

A mint drink in the south was also considered a "mild drink" as we would consider lemonade today or a glass of OJ. Best we can surmise it may relate to refreshing, temperate drinks in the summer. Or, just a barley malt with negligible alcohol content (1/2-1%). I think some cough medicine have more alcohol than that.

In Mexico and Latin America there are drinks prepared of crushed barley or rice, served with cinnamon powder and sugar on ice. There’s a drink made of barley and unfermented hops called Malta that’s very popular in Latin American countries — and totally Mormon-kosher.

Guest Godless

A mint drink in the south was also considered a "mild drink" as we would consider lemonade today or a glass of OJ. Best we can surmise it may relate to refreshing, temperate drinks in the summer. Or, just a barley malt with negligible alcohol content (1/2-1%). I think some cough medicine have more alcohol than that.

In Mexico and Latin America there are drinks prepared of crushed barley or rice, served with cinnamon powder and sugar on ice. There’s a drink made of barley and unfermented hops called Malta that’s very popular in Latin American countries — and totally Mormon-kosher.

Thanks for the insight. Though this brings up the question of whether or not they had near-beer in the 19th Century. I overthink these things sometimes. :lol:

You are also forgetting the other part that goes with D&C

D&C 89:7

And, again strong drinks are not for the belly, but for the washing of your bodies.

Although I can't imagine washing in beer or any other alcholic beverage. Although I am sure there are some uses. Isn't there some mention of washing dry or damaged hair with beer?

Guest Godless

You are also forgetting the other part that goes with D&C

D&C 89:7

And, again strong drinks are not for the belly, but for the washing of your bodies.

Although I can't imagine washing in beer or any other alcholic beverage. Although I am sure there are some uses. Isn't there some mention of washing dry or damaged hair with beer?

I'm aware of that verse, which is why I have always been fairly certain that verse 17 wasn't referring to beer even though the boot fits quite nicely.

I personally wouldn't wash my body or hair with beer. IMO, beer is for drinking and cooking. I'm not aware of any other uses for it.

I'm aware of that verse, which is why I have always been fairly certain that verse 17 wasn't referring to beer even though the boot fits quite nicely.

I personally wouldn't wash my body or hair with beer. IMO, beer is for drinking and cooking. I'm not aware of any other uses for it.

It will get rid of slug problems really well.. :lol:

This is a serious (I swear) question that I've had for a while. I'm a beer aficionado, and as such the following passage has always struck me as odd.

"Nevertheless, wheat for man, and corn for the ox, and oats for the horse, and rye for the fowls and for swine, and for all beasts of the field, and barley for all useful animals, and for mild drinks, as also other grain."

What is meant by "mild drinks" in this clear reference to uses for grains and, specifically, barley? The smart-aleck in me can't help but think of beer when I read this, though I'm sure that this isn't what was being referenced. Any insight?

Excellent point and question. I never noticed that before..

Edited by bmy-

Am I the only one who immediately thinks World of Warcraft when I see WoW?

And ummm... yeah, idk about what is meant by mild drinks, but from one smart alek to another, good luck! I'm sure somebody here will havea good answer for you

I was totally thinking World of Warcraft. Oh what a sad little world I live in! lol. Seriously though, I'm directing evil thoughts at WoW (you know which one) right now. I'm not bitter.... nooooooo....

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like you are talking about something like Horchata.

The key is the term grains....however, not to be fermented.

The key is the term grains....however, not to be fermented.

One of my family friends, who was investigating the church, she managed to get ahold of non-alcoholic beer. She was braging that she was drinking that. She can't drink beer anyway due to the fact that she ended up with some health problems due to alcohol and her doctor told her no more alcohol , so basically she's had to give up alcohol due to that. But she still loves beer so therefore the non-alcoholic or fermented type.

Edited by AngelLynn

• 3 weeks later...

if you are a brunette beer is very good for your hair, my Gran used to use it.

By mild drink we know from current revelation it would be barley cup or juice with barley in it rather than beer which is classified as a strong drink.

-Charley

My mom always kept a 6-pack of beer in the house, and when she was getting really, really fancy she'd wash her hair in one of the bottles of it. It was always humorous when an LDS guest stumbled across it and she had to explain that beer's actually really good as a cleansing agent.

My mom always kept a 6-pack of beer in the house, and when she was getting really, really fancy she'd wash her hair in one of the bottles of it. It was always humorous when an LDS guest stumbled across it and she had to explain that beer's actually really good as a cleansing agent.

should have seen members reactions when they discovered I make cleaners from Vodka it just smells better than vinegar with lemon lol , thing is I live in a smallish community most people that know I am LDS, know my rather strong views on drinking alcohol and very few would attach anything to the bottle in my trolley

-Charley

• 4 weeks later...

should have seen members reactions when they discovered I make cleaners from Vodka it just smells better than vinegar with lemon lol , thing is I live in a smallish community most people that know I am LDS, know my rather strong views on drinking alcohol and very few would attach anything to the bottle in my trolley

-Charley

add some vodka to your vase of roses and it will make your roses last longer too...we always had vodka in our house for the flowers.