I Guess Its Different Now

Palerider

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember all those news stories about Clinton's exiting staffers vandalizing buildings and equipment? Wrecking keyboards by breaking off their "W" keys? Hillary's famous beeline from Air Force One to her private limo leaving a trail of stolen dishes and silverware?

(Well, maybe that last one is a gross exaggeration, but the first two certainly happened.)

What do you want to bet we don't hear anything about exiting Bush staffers acting like a bunch of juvinile delenquents?

When news stories start including Reformed Egyptian, you know it's all so true. ;)

While we Americans can not conjure up all the pomp and circumstance of British Royal events, or similar ceremonies elsewhere, including China, we can never the less outspend them. Ask any Oilman.

When news stories start including Reformed Egyptian, you know it's all so true. ;)

While we Americans can not conjure up all the pomp and circumstance of British Royal events, or similar ceremonies elsewhere, including China, we can never the less outspend them. Ask any Oilman.

it was hard to translate.....:D:D

It is a myth that Obama is spending three to four times as much money on his inaugural than Bush did, and as is normal for Bush, he lets that number stand without clarification.

Facts:

1. The projected cost of Obama’s inauguration is unknown, even though there are unsubstantiated projections of $160 million. This includes money spent for security and transporation, which is paid for by the taxpayers.

2. Bush spent, including tax dollars for security and transportation, approximately $151 million dollars.

3. Bush omits the approximately $108 million, in tax dollars, he spent for security and transportation.

4. Obama raised approximately $51 million for his inauguration.

5. Bush raised almost $43 million for his second inauguration.

6. Obama took NO money from any lobbyists, PACs, corporations, etc. All of the money he used is donated by individuals, with an average donation of $200 each.

7. Bush took donations from executives and corporations. He limited the corporate donations to $250,000 each to avoid any potential conflicts of interest.

8. Obama draws huge crowds, and this one is expected to be at least three million people, five times the size of Bush’s second inaugural. Thus, the need for more and heightened security personnel, not only to keep the crowds safe, but Obama as well. (Frankly, this scares me a lot.)

9. Many people complain that Obama should take the remainder of money left from his political campaign to offset the cost of the inauguration. Obama can’t do this because it is illegal.

10. The monies Washington, D.C. and Maryland will spend providing additional security will be significantly offset by the huge numbers of attendees coming from out of town, including revenues from other services, such as restaurants. Already everything is booked, and these restaurants are realizing huge profits, which will continue until after the inauguration.

11. These same customers will also pay local taxes, which will also offset the cost of providing extra security personnel.

The point to this: Bush’s inaugural cost $151,000, not the $43,000 the right-leaning press, and even centrist press, keeps purporting. Bush has let this number stand, and reporters not doing their job never questioned it. If people are going to compare the money Obama is spending, to what Bush spent, they need to compare apples to apples. Right now, it’s apples to cantaloupes, given cantaloupes are much larger than oranges.

Elphaba

Edited by Elphaba
What I wrote the first time was stupid.

In the current economy spending 10 million or more is an amazing amount of money for an inauguration I don't care if the person is Republican or a Democrat.

People without food or health care and we, as a country, allow this kind of money to be spent along with the money that was spent on the campaign.

Ben Raines

Was it Palerider who said it's going to be time for the handouts? I was thinking get ready for inauguration day, get your wallets out and get ready to pay! I say, we must all pray!

What can I say....my Republican governor wants to take 6% from my salary (I'm a TEACHER) so he doesn't have to raise taxes in the state (Nevada).

Pray for them all...power corrupts. Chocolate corrupts too, but in a much more pleasant and fulfilling way.

And hey, because someone doesn't like someone's political agenda surely doesn't mean the person is racist!!! Obama is half white....that's probably the part I don't agree with. Remember the joke during the Primaries: if you want someone Black, female, and Mormon - elect Gladys Knight (she lives a mile or so away from me - way nicer neighborhood, to put it mildly, very mildly).

Hidden

they did not say that on the news shows yesterday.....the comment was even made how Bush got it from the media and Obama has not.....

Hi Pale,

I'm confused. You started the thread, "I Guess Things Are Different Now," citing a news story that claimed Obama's inauguration was going to cost three times what Bush's had. This is the gist of the story I thought you were referring to.

You then cited the Yahoo story that reported the same thing, including the accusation of Obama spending three times as much as Bush.

Both of these stories are not true, and because I thought the cost of the inaugurations was the topic, that's what I responded to.

So, now, I'm confused because I don't understand what you mean here.

What am I missing?

Emma

Now Emma

they did not say that on the news shows yesterday.....the comment was even made how Bush got it from the media and Obama has not.....

Now Pale, :P

Okay, I just re-read the new stories you posted, and I apologize, because I did, indeed, miss the point each of them were making.

If I have this correctly, democrats urged Bush not to spend money extravagantly at his 2005 inauguration because the country was at war, the economy was bad, etc.

Yet, in 2009, no one is calling for Obama to use the same restraint, even though we are still at war, and if anything, the economy is in free fall.

At first glance, I see why some feel this hypocrisy. But as is always the case, it’s not that simple.

Obama’s election has inspired a huge patriotic streak throughout America, so much so that at least 1.5 million people, probably more, have already descended on Washington, D.C., to be a part of this historic event.

For example, yesterday, on the mall,

hundreds of thousands belted out "This Land is Your Land" led by 90-year-old labor activist and folk singer Pete Seeger who was blacklisted in the 50s. The eyes of white middle aged working guys moistened as they listened to a black children's choir sing "America the Beautiful". And throughout the crowd -- even among the aging 60s activists who had struggled against the Vietnam War -- there was a genuine, deep admiration for the men and women who risk it all every day in our armed forces.

Contrast that with Bush’s 2005 inaugural where most of the people invited were those he ran with, most often the wealthy. Even though he'd just won the election, and boasted of "capital," his downward slide in public opinion had already started. So much so, a third of the people along his motorcade were protestors. And those protests grew during his remaining time in office.

So, while Obama's inaugural will probably exceed the cost of Bush's, though not by as much as many people think, there are very significant differences between the two:

1. The Obama inauguration is a historic event of magnitude, and we are lucky enough to be here to see it in our lifetimes. His message resonates with millions of Americans, from many different backgrounds and for many different reasons.

2. Unlike Bush’s inaugural, literally millions of people want be there to witness Obama being sworn in. The forecasts are between 1.5 to 5 million people, and they‘re coming, no matter what. Obviously, there is no way Obama's inaugural committee could just turn them back and tell them to go home. No president would do that if s/he had that many Americans there to see the swearing in.

3. To accommodate all of these people, Obama has spent a good deal of money to provide facilities needed, such as food, water, portable toilets, etc. This will keep these millions of people as comfortable as possible, which would have been impossible possible without Obama's preparations.

4. The majority of the money will be spent on crowd control and transportation services. It should be noted these are the items the federal government pays for. This $1 million is attached to the $52 million Obama raised for his inaugural, which adds up to the $152 million cost. (For perspective, Bush's raised $49 million for his inaugurual celebration, but also spent the $100 million for security and transportation.)

a) All of the transportation services, in Washington, D.C., Maryland, and even Virginia, are barely enough to move the massive crowds around in orderly fashions, so there will be a huge chunk of change spent on whatever it takes to move these people around as smoothly as possible.

b) Security is going to be a fierce, and huge undertaking, and is where most of the money will be spent. There can be no mistakes, given the massive number of people there; and obviously, they must be there to protect the president from any and all assassination attempts. I can't even wrap my head around how much security will be necessary to make sure no one gets hurt, and I can't imagine anyone would disagree for the need for it.

Finally, Americans like to celebrate big things. We celebrate birthdays, anniversaries, graduations, marriages, and even new presidents.

Don't worry, Thursday will be back to normal, and the Obama bashers will be back in full form, and the country will still be in a nose dive, and everyone will start saying, "I told you so, he's all talk," and I think that's okay.

But today I am going to celebrate.

Elphaba

Edited by Elphaba

4. The majority of the money will be spent on crowd control and transportation services. It should be noted these are the items the federal government pays for. This $1 million is attached to the $52 million Obama raised for his inaugural, which adds up to the $152 million cost. (For perspective, Bush's raised $49 million for his inaugurual celebration, but also spent the $100 million for security and transportation.)

I think your math is a little flawed. $1 million + $52 million does not = $152 million. :P

Enjoy the day Elphaba.

In the spirit of unity this was the closing of the inaugural benediction:

Lord, in the memory of all the saints who from their labors rest, and in the joy of a new beginning, we ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to get back, when brown can stick around -- (laughter) -- when yellow will be mellow -- (laughter) -- when the red man can get ahead, man -- (laughter) -- and when white will embrace what is right.

Wha???????????????????

Since the democrat held that position of power in both houses, what can they really offer now when they had eight years to prove their case? Like I said, it is mere rhetoric with media and the weak minded individuals. We need the Spirit to look past the media and party[ism] for the real intent on what will happen or transpired for our future if we are led down a certain path. We can hope and pray for them to have a change of spirit but it is up to them to do the right and not to appease those who place them in office. What is good for the country and good for the world since this country casually runs the world.

In the end, people will be sadden to see it was party rhetoric and nothing has changed for the better. Even Bush failed since 2003 to act upon many events in proactive, listening to those who know better, and to lead the country versus having an arrogant persona. I think Newsmax looked at this issue and prove it was his failure point during his second administrative run but at least, it was better than having Gore as President. :lol: